IJCRR - 6(3), February, 2014
VEIN OF GALEN MALFORMATION IN A 47 YEAR OLD MALE-A RARE ENTITY
Author: Subrata Chakrabarti , Koushik Pan
Vein of Galen Malformation (VGM) is a rare vascular malformation representing less than 1% of vascular intracranial abnormalities. It is a congenital anomaly and frequently detected during the last trimester of gestational age, during neonatal period or early childhood. Clinical manifestations can appear at any age but mainly in the neonatal or infancy stage in the form of heart failure, delayed neuropsychomotor development, hydrocephalus and seizures. First presentation in adult age is very rare. We report a case where a patient remained symptom free until presentation following generalized tonic clonic seizures at the age of 47 years.MRI brain and MR Angiography confirmed the presence of VGM.
Keywords: Vein of Galen malformation, generalized tonic clonic seizures
Subrata Chakrabarti , Koushik Pan. VEIN OF GALEN MALFORMATION IN A 47 YEAR OLD MALE-A RARE ENTITY International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(3), February, 53-56
1. Raybaud CA, Strother CM, Hald JK. Aneurysms of the vein of Galen: embryonic considerations and anatomical features relating to the pathogenesis of the malformation. Neuroradiology 1989;31:109- 128.
2. Jones BV, Bal WS, Tomsick TA, Millard J, Crone KR. Vein of Galen aneurysmal malformation: diagnosis and treatment of 13 children with extended clinical follow-up. AJNR 2002;23:1717-1724.
3. Abe T, Matsumoto K, Kiyota K, Tanaka H. Vein of Galen aneurysmal malformation in an adult: a case report. Surg Neurol 1996;45:39- 43.
4. Lasjaunias P, Ter Brugge K, Ibor LL, et al. The role of dural anomalies in vein of Galen aneurysms: report of six cases and review of the literature. AJNR 1987;8:185-192
5. Yasargil MG. Microneurosurgery IIIB. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 1988: 323- 357.
6. Rosenfeld JV, Fabinyi GC. Acute hydrocephalus in an elderly woman with an aneurysm of the vein of Galen. Neurosurgery 1984;15:852-854.
7. Seidenwurm D, Berenstein A, Hyman A, Kowalski H. Vein of Galen malformation: correlation of clinical presentation, arteriography, and MR imaging. AJNR 1991;12:347-354.
8. Hassan T, Timofeev EV, Ezura M, et al. Hemodynamic analysis of an adult vein of Galen aneurysm malformation by use of 3D image-based computational fluid dynamics. AJNR 2003;24:1075-1082.
9. Cordonnier C, Lucas C, Leclerc X, Gauvrit JY, Leys D. Giant arteriovenous malformation of the vein of Galen in a 50 year old man. Rev Neurol (Paris) 2002;158:731-733.
10. Porzionato A, Macchi V, Parenti A, De Caro R. Vein of Galen aneurysm: anatomical study of an adult autopsy case. Clin Anat 2004;17:458-462.
11. Xavier J, Alves V, Vasconcelos C, Leite A, Cruz R. Aneurysmal malformation of the vein of Galen in adults. Acta Med Port 2003;16:203-206.
12. Ribeiro VT, Botelho LF, Lopes AC, et al. Choroidal type aneurysmal malformation of the vein of Galen associated with DandyWalker malformation in an adult. Acta Med Port 2003;16:217-220.
13. Marques MCP, Pires LA, Damasceno CA, Felício AC, Atala A, Franco GM. Galen vein thrombosis: case report. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2003;61: 285-287.
14. Krenz I, Power KJ. Postpartum thrombosis of the great vein of Galen. Anaesthesia 1990;45:643-645.
15. Ildan F, Cetinalp E, Bagdatoglu H, Boyar B. Evolution of thrombosis of the vein of Galen in sickle cell disease. J Child Neurol 1993;8:189-191.
16. Collins JJ, Fisher WS. Vein of Galen aneurysm presenting with recurrent aseptic meningitis and subsequent spontaneous thrombosis. Surg Neurol 1990;33:325-328.
17. Shin M, Kurita H, Tago M, Kirino T. Stereotactic radiosurgery for tentorial dural arteriovenous fistulae draining into the vein of Galen: report of two cases. Neurosurgery 2000;46:730-733