IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 06, March, 2014
EFFECTIVENESS OF MITOMYCIN-C APPLICATION AS AN ADJUNCT IN SURGERIES FOR RECURRENT PTERYGIUM - A META ANALYSIS
Author: Narendra P. Datti, Nagesha C. K., Rashmi N. R., Shalini
Background: Recurrent pterygium poses distinct problem like high postoperative recurrences and many surgical approaches have been tried to decrease recurrences. Currently, mitomycin C (MMC) application and amniotic graft are used as adjunct apart from the standard limbal-conjunctival autograft. Aim of study: Aim of this study is to determine through meta-analysis, the risk of recurrences and frequency of post operative complications associated with MMC application over bare sclera or along with amniotic graft for recurrent pterygia. Method: A thorough search of online resources for randomised controlled clinical trials comparing bare sclera technique with or without MMC and amniotic graft with or without MMC application was done. The purpose was to determine the pooled odds ratio and 95% confidence interval for post operative pterygium recurrence. Results: Among 5 studies, 2 studies comparing bare sclera technique with or without MMC showed pooled odds ratio of 0.105 with 95% CI 0.0131 to 0.847. Study comparing amniotic graft with or without MMC showed odds ratio 0.298 with CI of 0.0817 to 1.089. Conclusion: Application of MMC on bare sclera reduced recurrence rate to 10% and on amniotic graft it reduced to 30% with no added serious complications.
Keywords: Mitomycin-C, Amniotic graft, Bare sclera, Recurrent pterygia, Meta-analysis.
Narendra P. Datti, Nagesha C. K., Rashmi N. R., Shalini. EFFECTIVENESS OF MITOMYCIN-C APPLICATION AS AN ADJUNCT IN SURGERIES FOR RECURRENT PTERYGIUM - A META ANALYSIS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 06, March, 26-32
1. D’Ombrain. The surgical treatment of pterygium. Br J ophthalmol 1948;32:65-71.
2. Singh G, Wilson CS, Foster CS. Mitomycin eye drops as treatment for pterygium. Ophthalmology1998;95:813-21.
3. Kenyon K, Wagoner MD, Heltinger ME. Conjunctival autograft transplantation and recurrent pterygium. Ophthalmology1985;92:1461-70.
4. Katrircioglu YA, Altiparmak VE, Duman S. comparison of three methods for the treatment of pterygium: amniotic membrane graft, conjunctival autograft, and autograft plus mitomycin C. orbit.2007;26:5-13.
5. Shimazaki J, Shinozaki N, Tsubota K. transplantation of amniotic membrane and limbal autograft for patients with recurrent pterygium associated with symblepharon. Br J.ophthalmol.1998;82:235-240.
6. Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD, Wallerstein A, et al. Subconjunctival mitomycin c for the treatment of ocular cicatricial pemphigoid. Ophthalmology.1999;106(1):72- 8;discussion79.
7. Kunitomo N, Mori S. studies on pterygium. Report N. A treatment of pterygium by mitomycin C instillation. Acta Soc ophthalmol Spn.1963;67:601-607.
. Singh G, Wilson MR, Foster CS. Mitomycin eyedrop as treatment for pterygium. Ophthalmology.1998;95(6):813-821.
9. Ang LP, Chau JL, Jan DT. Current concepts and techniques in pterygium treatment. Curr opin ophthalmol.1998;82:235-240.
10. Muthu FM, Sobaei G, Jatar T, Yildirim E. A comparitive study of recurrent pterygium surgery:limbal conjunctival autograft transplantation versus mitomycin C with conjunctival flap. Ophthalmologgy.1998;106(4):817-821.
11. Leonardo Mastropasqua, Paolo Carpineto, Marco Ciancaglini, Pier Enrico Gallenga. Long term results of intraoperative mitomycin C in the treatment of recurrent pterygium. British Jounal of Ophthalmology 1996; 80: 288-291.
2. Nitin verma1 , Jambi arringa garap1 , Rosilyn marisi and Apisai kerek1 . Intraoperative use of mitomycin C in the treatment of recurrent pterygium. PNG Med J 1998 Mar;41(1):37-42.
13. Ma DH, See LC, Hwang YS, Wang SF. Comparison of amniotic membrane graft alone or combined with intraoperative mitomycin C to prevent recurrence after excision of recurrent pterygia. Cornea. 2005 Mar;24(2):141-50.
14. Shi CN, Zhou GL. Application of mitomycin C in amniotic membrane traansplantation to treat recurrence pterygium. Cuangzhou Med J (chin)2006;37(5):37-39.
15. Li SZ. Effect analysis of amnion membrane transplantation combined with mitomycin C in the treatment of pterygium. J bethune military medical college (chin)2007;10(5):290-291.
16. Mohamed A Fakhry. The use of mitomycin C with autologous limbal-conjunctival autograft transplantation for management of recurrent pterygiumClinical Ophthalmology 2011:5 123–127.
17. Starck T, Kenyon KR, Serrano F. Conjunctival autograft for primary and recurrent pterygia: surgical technique and problem management. Cornea 1991;10:196 –202.
18. Mahar PS, Nwokora GE. Role of mitomycin C in pterygium surgery. Br J Ophthalmol 1993;77:433–5.
19. MacKenzie FD, Hirst LW, Kynaston B, Bain C. Recurrence rate and complications after beta irradiation for pterygia. Ophthalmology 1991;98:1776–80; discussion 1781.
20. Rubinfeld RS, Pfister RR, Stein RM, et al. Serious complications of topical mitomycin-C after pterygium surgery. Ophthalmology 1992;99:1647–54.
21. Dunn JP, Seamore CD, Ostler HB, Nickel BL, Beallo A. Development of scleral ulceration and calcification after pterygium excision and mitomycin therapy. Am J Ophthalmol 1991;112:343–4.
22. Rubinfeld RS, Pfister RR, Stein RM, Foster CS, Martin NF, Stoleru S et al. Serious complications of topical mitomycin-C after pterygium surgery. Ophthalmology 1992 Nov;99(11):1647-54.
23. Shabbir Saifuddin, Alaa El Zawawi. Scleral changes due to mitomycin C after Pterygium excision: A report of two cases. Indian J Ophthalmol 1995;43:75-6.
24. B Safianik, I Ben-Zion, and H J Garzozi. Serious corneoscleral complications after pterygium excision with mitomycin C. Br J Ophthalmol2002March;86(3):357-8.
25. Yin-Wei Song, Ai-Hua Yu, Xiao-Jun Cai. Effectiveness of amniotic membrane transplantation combined with mitomycin C in the treatment ofpterygium: a meta-analysis. Int J Ophthalmol2010;3(4):352-355.
26. Juan Camilo Sánchez-Thorin, Guillermo Rocha, Julie B Yelin. Meta-analysis on the recurrence rates after bare sclera resection with or without mitomycin C and conjunctival autograft placement in surgery for primary pterygium. Br J Ophthalmol 1998 82: 661- 665.