IJCRR - 6(6), March, 2014
USAGE OF PROTEIN/CREATININE RATIO IN SPOT URINE SPECIMEN FOR EARLY IDENTIFICATION OF PRE-ECLAMPSIA
Author: Jaya Choudhary, Vineeta Garg , Abhilasha Bansal Department
Objective: To evaluate the diagnostic usage of spot urine protein-creatinine (P/C) ratio for quantification of proteinuria for predicting pre-eclampsia. Methods: A spot mid stream urine sample were collected for estimation of P/C ratio and the 24- hour urine sample for protein estimation was collected. The correlation between the spot P/C ratio and 24-hour urine proteinuria was done. Logistic regression analyses have been used to analyse data. Results: The spot P/C ratio and 24-hour urine protein excretion have well correlated (pearson’s correlation coefficient r = 0.70; P < 0.0001). Conclusion: Spot urine P/C ratio is an easy, rapid and useful test for assessment of proteinuria for diagnosis of pre-eclampsia.
Keywords: spot urine specimen, Protein/creatinine ratio, 24 Hour urinary protein, pre-eclampsia.
Jaya Choudhary, Vineeta Garg , Abhilasha Bansal Department. USAGE OF PROTEIN/CREATININE RATIO IN SPOT URINE SPECIMEN FOR EARLY IDENTIFICATION OF PRE-ECLAMPSIA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(6), March, 09-13
1. Majhi, A.K., Mondal, A. and Mukherjee, G.G. (2001) Safe motherhood—A long way to achieve. Journal of Indian Medical Association, 99, 132-137.
2. Mackay AP, Berg CJ, Atrash HK. Pregnancyrelated mortality from preeclampsia and eclampsia. Obstet Gynecol 2001;97:533-8.
3. BrownMA, HagueWM, Higgins J, LoweS, McCowanL, Oats J, et al. The detection, investigation and management of hypertension in pregnancy: executive summary. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2000;40: 133-8.
4. BrownMA, LindheimerMD, de Swiet M, Van Assche A, Moutquin JM.The classification and diagnosis of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: statement from the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy (ISSHP). Hypertens Pregnancy 2001;20:IX-XIV.
5. Wongkitisophon K, Phupong V, Yamasmit W, Pansin P, Tannirandorn Y, CharoenvidhyaD. Correlation of 4- and 24-hour urine protein in women with initially diagnosed hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. J Med Assoc Thai 2003;86:529-34.
6. Ginsberg JM, Chang BS,Matarese RA, Garella S. Use of single voided urine samples to estimate quantitative proteinuria.N Engl J Med 1983;309:1543-6.
7. Al, R.A., Baykal, C., Karacay, O., Geyik, P.O., Altun, S. and Doten, I. (2004) Random urine protein creatinine ra-tio to predict protenuria in new onset mild hypertension in late preganncy. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 104, 367- 371.
8. Chitalia VC, Kothari J, Wells EJ, Livesey JH, Robson RA, Searle M, Lynn KL. Cost-benefit analysis and prediction of 24-hour proteinuria from the spot urine protein creatinine ratio. Clin Nephrol 2001;55(6):436-47.
9. Menzies J, Magee LA, Macnab YC, Ansermino JM, Li J, Douglas MJ, Gruslin A, Kyle P, Lee SK, Moore MP, Moutquin JM, Smith GN, Walker JJ, Walley KR, Russell JA, von Dadelszen P. Current CHS and NHBPEP criteria for severe preeclampsia do not uniformly predict adverse maternal or perinatal outcomes. Hypertens Pregnancy 2007;26(4):447-62.
10. Eigbejoh, J.O., Abebe, J., Odike, M.A. and Isabu, P. Protein/creatinine ratio in random urine specimen for quantitation of proteinuria in pre-eclampsia. Internet Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2007; 18:1.
11. Sharma A, Kiran P, Ajai B. Spot urine protein/creatinine ratio—A quick and accurate method for diagnosis of pre-eclampsia. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2013, 3, 609-612.
12. Leaños-Miranda A, Márquez-Acosta J, Romero-Arauz F, Cárdenas-Mondragón GM, Rivera-Leaños R, Isordia-Salas I, UlloaAguirre A. Protein: creatinine ratio in random urine samples is a reliable marker of increased 24-hour protein excretion in hospitalized women with hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. Clin Chem 2007; 53(9):1623-8.
13. Durnwald, C. and Mercer, B. (2003) A prospective comparison of total protein/creatinine ratio versus 24-hour urine protein in women with suspected preeclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 189, 848- 852.
14. Al, R.A., Baykal, C., Karacay, O., Geyik, P.O., Altun, S. and Doten, I. (2004) Random urine protein creatinine ratio to predict proteinuria in new onset mild hypertension in late pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 104, 367- 371.
15. Wheeler 2nd, T.L., Blackhurst, D.W., Dellinger, E.H. and Ramsey, P.S. (2007) Usage of spot urine protein to creatinine ratios in the evaluation of pre-eclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 196, 465e1-4.