IJCRR - vol 06 issue 07, April, 2014
TRANSITIONAL CELL CARCINOMA OF THE OVARY: A RARE CASE REPORT
Author: Madhavan Manoharan, Sridevi Manian, Deepa Ganesh
Introduction: Transitional cell carcinoma of the ovary is a rare, recently recognized, subtype of ovarian surface epithelial carcinoma. Transitional cell carcinoma is sufficiently different from malignant Brenner tumour (MBT) in that it is reasonable to suppose that ovarian TCC arises directly from pluripotential surface epithelium of the ovary and from cells with urothelial potential, rather than from a benign or proliferative Brenner tumor precursor. Case presentation: We present a case of TCC of the ovary, managed by total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy with omentectomy. Conclusion: Primary TCC of the ovary is a rare subtype of epithelial ovarian tumours and their response to chemotherapy is better than that for other types of ovarian cancers.
Keywords: Transitional cell carcinoma, malignant Brenner tumour, pluripotential surface epithelium, total abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy with omentectomy.
Madhavan Manoharan, Sridevi Manian, Deepa Ganesh. TRANSITIONAL CELL CARCINOMA OF THE OVARY: A RARE CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. vol 06 issue 07, April, 74-78
1. Christopher P. Crum. Transitional cell tumours. In DiagnosticGynaecologic and Obstetric Pathology, 2nd Edition. Marisa R. Nucci, and Kenneth R. Lee, 2011, 882-887.
2. AncelBlaustein. Transitional cell tumours. In Blaustein'sPathology of the Female Genital Tract, 5th Edition .Robert J. Kurman, 2002, 881-884
3. Christopher D. M. Fletcher. Transitional cell tumours. In Diagnostic Histopathology of Tumors , 4th Edition, William R. Schmitt , Kathryn DeFrancesco, 2013, 685-686, Volume 1.
4. Satoshi Ichigo, Hiroshi Takagi, KazutoshiMatsunami, Takayuki Murase, Tsuneko Ikeda, Atsushi Imai. Transitional cell carcinoma of the ovary (Review). Oncology Letters. 2011:3-6.doi: 10.3892/o1.2011.453
5. Austin RM, Norris HJ. Malignant Brenner tumor and transitional cell carcinoma of the ovary: a comparison. Int J GynecolPathol. 1987;6:29–39. doi: 10.1097/00004347- 198703000-00004
6. Scully RE. Histological Typing of Ovarian Tumours, 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999.
7. Juan Rosai.Transitional cell tumours. In Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology, 10th Edition. Michael Houston, Joanne Scott, 2011, 574- 1576, Volume 2.
8. Eichhorn JH, Young RH. Transitional cell carcinoma of the ovary: a morphologic study of 100 cases with emphasis on differential diagnosis. Am J SurgPathol. 2004;28:453–63. doi: 10.1097/00000478-200404000-00004
9. Kommoss F, Kommoss S, Schmidt D, Trunk MJ, Pfisterer J, du Bois A. ArbeitsgemeinschaftGynaekologischeOnkolog ieStudiengruppeOvarialkarzinom. Survival benefit for patients with advanced-stage transitional cell carcinomas vs. other subtypes of ovarian carcinoma after chemotherapy with platinum and paclitaxel. GynecolOncol. 2005;97:195–9. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.12.047
10. Satoshi Ichigo, Hiroshi Takagi, KazutoshiMatsunami, Takayuki Murase, Tsuneko Ikeda, Atsushi Imai. Transitional cell carcinoma of the ovary (Review). Oncology Letters. 2011:3-6.doi: 10.3892/o1.2011.453