IJCRR - 6(9), May, 2014
CYTOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF THYROID LESIONS BY FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION VERSUS NON-ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY TECHNIQUES- A COMPARATIVE STUDY
Author: Purushotham Krishnappa, Sowmya Ramakrishnappa
Aim: To compare the fine-needle non-aspiration cytology (FNNAC) with fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in providing the adequate samples for the evaluation of thyroid lesions. Materials and Methods: A total of 48 patients presenting with thyroid lesions at Standard Diagnostics Laboratory, Bangalore during period of Jan 2009 to October 2010, underwent both FNAC and FNNAC techniques. All the needle-sampling procedures were done by a single pathologist. The obtained samples were assessed for cytological evaluation based on sample adequacy, aspiration of blood, cellular features and possible diagnosis. Results: FNNAC produced less inadequate samples (20.9 %) than FNA (31.25%). Conclusion: The FNNAC is a better technique of sampling thyroid nodules and appears to produce more adequate specimen.
Keywords: Thyroid lesions, Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology, Non-aspiration
Purushotham Krishnappa, Sowmya Ramakrishnappa. CYTOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF THYROID LESIONS BY FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION VERSUS NON-ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY TECHNIQUES- A COMPARATIVE STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(9), May, 115-117
1. Flynn JM, Hresko T, Reynolds RA. Titanium elastic nails for pediatric femur fractures: A multicentric study of early results with analysis of complications. J Pediatr Orthop 2001; 21:4-8.
2. Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969 Jun;51(4):737-55.
3. Flynn JM, Skaggs DL , Sponseller PD, Ganley Tj, Kay Rm, Leitch Kk. The operative management of pediatric fractures of the lower extremity. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002; 84:2288-2300.
4. Clinscales CM, Peterson HA. Isolated closed diaphyseal fractures of the femur in children: Comparison of effectiveness and cost of several treatment methods. Orthopedics 1997; 20 (12) :1131-6.
5. Saikat Sarkar Ranadeb Bandyopadhyay Arindam Mukherjee Titanium elastic nail - complications in the treatment of paediatric diaphyseal fracture of femur .Open Orthop J. 2013; 7: 12–17
6. Roop Singh, SC Sharma , Magu NK , Amit Singla. Titanium elastic nailing in pediatric femoral diaphyseal fractures. Ind J Orthop 2006; 40(1) : 29-34.
7. Eren OT, Kucukkaya M, Kockesen C, Kabukcuoglu Y, Kuzgun U. Open reduction and plate fixation of femoral shaft fractures in children aged 4 to 10. J Pediatr Orthop 2003; 23(2):190-193.
8. Caird MS, Mueller KA, Puryear A, Farley FA. Compression plating of pediatric femoral shaft fractures. J Pediatr Orthop 2003; 23(4):448- 452.
9. Ligier JN, Metaizeau JP, Prevot J, Lascombes P. Elastic stable intramedullary nailing of femoral shaft fractures in children. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1988; 70: 74-77.
10. Titanium Elastic Nail- Surgical Techinique. Synthes (Original instruments and implants of the assosiation for the study of internal fixation-ASIF): 2- 24.
11. David AS, Theodore JG, John MF. Titanium elastic nailing of pediatric femur fractures. Oper Tech Orthop 2005; 15: 326-330.
12. Li Y, Hedequist DJ. Submuscular plating of pediatric femur fracture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012 Sep;20(9):596-603.
13. Fyodorov I, Sturm PF, Robertson WW. Compression-plate fixation of femoral shaft fractures in children aged 8 to 12 years. J Pediatr Orthop 1999; 19(5): 578-584.
14. Agus H, Kalenderer O, Erynilmaz G, Omeroglu H. Biological internal fixation of comminuted femur shaft fractures by bridge plating in children. J Pediatr Orthop 2003; 23(2): 184-189. 15. Sink EL, Hedequist D, Morgan SJ, Hresko T. Results and technique of unstable pediatric femoral fractures treated with submuscular bridge plating. J Pediatr Orthop 2006; 26(2): 177-181.
16. Carey TP, Galpin RD. Flexible intramedullary nail fixation of pediatric femoral fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1996; 332: 110-118.
17. Saikia KC, Bhuyan SK, Bhattacharya TD, Saikia SP. Titanium elastic nailing in femoral diaphyseal fractures of children in 6-16 years of age. Ind J Orthop 2007; 41(4): 381-385.
18. Moroz LA, Launay F, Kocher MS, Newton PO, Frick SL, Sponseller PD, Flynn JM. Titanium elastic nailing of fractures of the femur in children. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006; 88: 1361-1366.
19. Timothy W, Jon L, Andrew K. Compression plating for child and adolescent femur fractures. J Pediatr Orthop 1992; 12: 626-632.