IJCRR - 6(10), May, 2014
THE EFFECTS OF AQUEOUS EXTRACT HIBISCUS SABDARIFFA ON SPERMATOGENESIS AND SPERM PARAMETERS OF MICE
Author: Omer H. Arabi, Mutman A. Kahil, Nasir A. Ibrahim
This study was aim to evaluate the effect of aqueous fruit extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn on spermatogenesis and sperm of mice. Adult male mice (n=30) included in the present study. The mice were eight weeks old and their average weight was 28±3g. Male mice housed in temperature controlled rooms (25°C) with constant humidity (40-70%) and 12h/12h light/ dark cycle according experimental protocols. Thereafter, the mice were randomly divided into control (n=10) and experimental group (n=20). The control group received daily 8 ml distilled water, group-1 of the experimental group received 50 gm/Kg/BW and group-2 received 100 gm/Kg/BW of aqueous extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa. The experiment extended for 21 days. The results of this study showed that there was an increase in the average body weight in the experimental groups compared with the control group with a significant difference (p<0.05). While the testis weight, sperm counts, sperm motility and viability decreased in the experimental groups compared with the control group with a significant difference (p<0.05). The effect of Hibiscus sabdariffa on Sex hormones the study showed that there was significant different (p> 0.05) in FSH; LH and testosterone hormones when compared with control In study of testis histology showed a significant decrease in the lumina spermatozoa. The study concluded that Hibiscus sabdariffa has adverse effect on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters of mice.
Keywords: Aqueous, Hibiscus sabdariffa, spermatogenesis, sperm parameters, mice
Omer H. Arabi, Mutman A. Kahil, Nasir A. Ibrahim. THE EFFECTS OF AQUEOUS EXTRACT HIBISCUS SABDARIFFA ON SPERMATOGENESIS AND SPERM PARAMETERS OF MICE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(10), May, 51-56
1. Ali, M. B. and Salih, W. M. (1991). Investigations of the antispasmodic potential of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyces. Journal of Ethnopharmacol 31: 249–257.
2. Chau, J. W.; Jin, M. W.; Wea, L. L.; Chia, Y. C.; Fen, P. C.; Tsui, H. T. (2000). "Protective effect of Hibiscus anthocyanins against tertbutyl hydroperoxide-induced hepatic toxicity in rats". Food and Chemical Toxicology 38 (5): 411–416.
3. Chen, C-C., Hsu, J-D., Wang, S-F. (2003). Hibiscus sabdariffa extract inhibits the development of atherosclerosis in cholesterolfed rabbits. Journal of Agric Food Chem. 51: 5472–5477.
4. Craig, W.J. (1999). Health-promoting properties of common herbs. Am J ClinNutr.70(suppl): 491S-499S.
5. Kanokwan Sukjail and Ampa Luangpirom (2010). Effect of aqueous hibiscus sabdariffa linn. seed extracton plasma prolactin and seminal qualiry in male mice. " 4'h Sino-Thai Intemational conference.
6. Gaya I, Mohammad, O.M.A', Suleiman, A.M., Maje, M.l. and Adekunle, A.B. (2008). Toxicological and lactogenicstudies on the seed of Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn. (Ma\vaceae) extract on serum Prolactin Levels Of Albino Wistar Rats. Journal of Endocrinology 5(2). 1540-2606.
7. Omotuyi1, I,O., Ologundudu1, A. Onwubiko V. O., Wogu M. D. and Obi F. O.(2010)
8. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn anthocyanins alter circulating reproductive hormones in rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Journal of Diabetes and Endocrinology Vol. 1(3), pp. 36-45,.
9. Orish E, Danladi C and Onyenmechi J.(2004).Testicular effects of sub-chronic administration of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyx aqueous extract in rats. J Reproductive Toxicology, 18, 2: 295–298
10. Owulade MO, Eghianruwa KI, Daramola FO. (2004). Effects of aqueous extracts of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyces and Ocimum gratisimum leaves in intestinal transits in rats. Journal of Biomed Res. 7: 31–33.
11. Tseng, T.H., Hsu, J.D., Lo, M.H., Chu, C.Y., Chou, F.P and Huang, C.J. (1998). Inhibitory effect of Hibiscus protocatechuic acid on tumour promotion in mouse skin. Cancer Letter. 126 (2): 199-207
12. Shereen C, Selvaraju V, Rajamanickam J. and Premendu P.(2010). Effects of plants and plant products on the testis. Asian Journal of Andrology 12: 468–479.
13. Titilayo O. Fakeye , Anirban Pal, D. U. Bawankule, N. P. Yadav and S. P. S. Khanuja (2008). Toxic Effects of Oral Administration of Extracts of Dried Calyx of Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn. (Malvaceae). Phytotherapy Res. DOI: 10.1002.
14. Yomna ,I (2010). Effect of extract of Hibiscus on the ultrastructure of the testis in adult mice. Acta Histochemica 114,( 4), 342–348