IJCRR - 6(10), May, 2014
SPOT AND EARLY MORNING SPUTUM REPORT STUDY FOR DIAGNOSIS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS AT DMC OF MEDICAL COLLEGE VADODARA, GUJARAT: A RETROSPECTIVE ANALYSIS
Author: Meghna M. Patel, Apurv N. Patel, Jitendra A. Sisodia, K. R. Patel, Kalpita Shringarpure
Tuberculosis, caused by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis is a major public health problem. India is the highest tuberculosis burden country across the globe. Under the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP) diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis is done by sputum smear microscopy using Zeil-Nelson staining method. For sputum microscopy, two sputum (spot and early morning) samples are collected. Spot sample is collected at the time of first visit of patient to laboratory and early morning sputum is collected the next day. This study is based on retrospective analysis of spot and early morning sputum microscopy samples tested in the year 2012 and 2013 at Designated Microscopy Center (DMC) of Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat. This study showed that the observed difference in sputum sample positivity in the two groups, viz. spot sample and morning sample in diagnosis of TB is statistically insignificant (Chi-square value 1.703 and 0.00584 respectively, P value 0.191 and 0.939 respectively).
Keywords: Tuberculosis, Sputum microscopy, Spot sputum, Early morning sputum
Meghna M. Patel, Apurv N. Patel, Jitendra A. Sisodia, K. R. Patel, Kalpita Shringarpure. SPOT AND EARLY MORNING SPUTUM REPORT STUDY FOR DIAGNOSIS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS AT DMC OF MEDICAL COLLEGE VADODARA, GUJARAT: A RETROSPECTIVE ANALYSIS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(10), May, 45-50
1.Basic facts about TB .Global tuberculosis Report 2013, WHO. URL: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/91355/1 /9789241564656_eng.pdf. Access date: 04/02/2014
2. TB Facts. TB Statistics of India. URL : www.tbfact.org. Access date: 02/02/1014
3. Roy Dipanjan, Chauhan L.S. Epidemiology of Tuberculosis. Tuberculosis Control in India. Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare New Delhi: Elsevier 2005. URL: http://tbcindia.nic.in/pdfs/Tuberculosis%20Co ntrol%20in%20India-Final.pdf Access date:05/02/2014
4. Sachdeva KS, Ashok Kumar, Dewan Puneet, Kumar Ajay, Satyanarayana Srinath. New Vision for Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP): Universal access-“Reaching the un-reached” Indian J Med Res May 2012;135:690-94. Access date:05/02/2014
5. Diagnosis of smear positive pulmonary TB New guidelines, effective from 1st April2009. URL:http://www.tbcindia.nic.in/pdfs/1b%20% 20Diagnosis%20of%20smear%20positive%20 pulmonary%20TB.pdf. Access date:06/02/2014
6. New laboratory diagnostic tools for tuberculosis control, stop TB partnership. URL:http://www.stoptb.org/assets/documents/ global/retooling/Diagnostic_Brochure_Print_2 009_Jan_29.pdf Access date:06/02/2014
7. Chauhan MM, Mahadev B, Balasangameshwara VH (Editors). Manual on isolation, identification and sensitivity testing of Myco. tuberculosis. National Tuberculous Institute Bangalore. Govt. of India Edition 2, 1998 . URL:http://ntiindia.kar.nic.in/cddistrictlevel/ie learn%5Ccategory%5CBooks%5CNMCMCH 98.pdf Access date:01/02/2014
8. Maru DS, Jason Andrews. Epidemiology: Global Perspective. In: Tuberculosis. India: Jaypee,2009; 6:103. Surendra K Sharma,Alladi Mohan(Editors).
9. Partnership Stop TB(2006): The global plan to stop TB,2006-2015. Action for life: towards aworld free of tuberculosis. Int J tuber Lung Dis 10: 240-241. Pubmed : 16562700. Access date:31/01/2014
10. T. Jaya Chandra. Same day sputum smear microscopy approach for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a microscopy center at Rajahmundry. Indian journal of Tuberculosis; 59:141-144. Access date:15/02/2014
11. Shafiyabi S., Ravikumar R., Ramaprasad, Krishna S. Study of same day sputum smear examination in diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis under RNTCP. Sch. Acad.J.Biosci.2013;1(7)):352-356. Access date: 28/02/2014
12. Yassin MA, Luis E. Cuevas. How many sputum smears are necessary for case findings in pulmonary tuberculosis? Tropical medicine and international health,2003;8(10):927-932. Access date: 15/02/2014
13. Nayak P ,Ajay M.V Kumar, Mareli Claassens, Donald A. Enarson, Srinath Satyanarayan, Debashish Kundu et al. Comparing same day sputum microscopy with conventional sputum microscopy for diagnosis of tuberculosisChhattisgarh, India. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74964. Access date:02/03/2014 14.
14. Myneedu VP,Verma Ak, Sharma PP,Beher D.A pilot study of same day sputum smear examination,its feasibility and usefulness in diagnosis of pulmonary TB. Indian J Tuberc.2011 Oct; 58(4):160-7. Access date:10/03/2014