IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 10, May, 2014
CASE REPORT OF PATIENT WITH DESMOPLASTIC AMELOBLASTOMA
Author: Gopal Sharma, Reema Rao, Preeti Talreja, Mahesh B Pokle, Resha Sawla, Sameer Zope
Aim: Presenting a case of Desmoplasticameloblastoma with an attempt to differentiate it from fibro-osseous lesion and ameloblastoma Case Report: In this paper we present a case report of a 50yr male who patient presented with a painless swelling in the lower left jaw since 1year. Discussion: Desmoplasticameloblastoma (DA) was included in the World Health Organization Classification of Head and Neck Tumors (WHO-2005) as a variant of ameloblastoma with specific clinical, histological and radiological features to differentiate it from other entities. Radiological and Cone beam volumetric imaging (CBVI) was performed which showed a mixed lesion suggestive of fibro-osseous lesion whereas Incisional biopsy was suggestive of DA. Hence we have attempted to differentiate the three lesions to avoid further misdiagnosis. Conclusion: Desmoplasticameloblastoma cannot be differentiated based only on clinical or only radiological features. A proper collaboration between the physician, radiologist and pathologist is necessary for a proper diagnosis.
Keywords: Ameloblastoma, Cone beam volumetric imaging, fibro-osseous lesion.
Gopal Sharma, Reema Rao, Preeti Talreja, Mahesh B Pokle, Resha Sawla, Sameer Zope. CASE REPORT OF PATIENT WITH DESMOPLASTIC AMELOBLASTOMA International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 10, May, 37-44
1. White and Pharoah. Oral radiology, Principle and Interpretation. Fifth edition. New Delhi, Elsevier : 2006
2. Shear M, Singh S. "Age-standardized incidence rates of ameloblastoma and dentigerous cyst on the Witwatersrand, South Africa". Community Dent Oral Epidemiol1978 6 (4): 195–9
3. Kishino M, Murakami S, Fukuda Y, Ishida T. Pathology of the desmoplastic ameloblastoma. J Oral Pathol. 2001; 30: 35-40
4. Eversol LR, Leider AS, Hansen LS. Ameloblastomas with pronounced desmoplasia. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1984; 42:735-40.
5. Savitri V, Janardhan M, Suresh R, Kumar RV. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma with osteoplasia: Review of literature with a case report. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2013; 17:298-301
6. Sun Z J, WuYR,Cheng N,Zwahlen R A,Zhao Y F. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma – A review, Oral Oncology 45 (2009) 752–759
7. Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart PA, Sidransky D. World Health Organization classification of tumors pathology and genetics of tumours of the head and neck. Lyon: IARC; 2005
8. Kawai T, Kishino M, Hiranuma H, Sasai T, Ishida T. A unique case of desmoplastic ameloblastoma of the mandible: report of a case and brief review of the English language literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1999; 87(2):258–63.
9. Sun ZJ, Wu YR, Cheng N, Zwahlen RA, Zhao YF. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma- A review. Oral Oncol. 2009; 45:752-9
10. Beckley ML, Farhood V, Helfend LK, Alijanian A. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma of the mandible: A Case report and review of literature. J Oral Maxillofac 2002; 60:194-8.
11. Rastogi R, Jain H. Case report: desmoplastic ameloblastoma. Head Neck Radiol. 2008; 18: 53-5.
12. Manuel S, Simon D, RajendranR, Naik BR. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma: a case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002;60: 1186-8
13. Wakoh M, Harada T, Inoue T. Folliculardesmoplastic hybrid ameloblastoma with radiographic features of concomitant fibro-osseous and solitary cystic lesions.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 94:774-80.
14. Mintz S, Velez I. Desmoplastic variant of ameloblastoma: report of two cases and review of the literature. J Am Dent Assoc 2002;133:1072-5
15. Shashikanth MC, Neetha MC, Ali IM, Shambulingappa P. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma in the maxilla: a case report and review of literature. Indian J Dent Res 2007;18:214-7
16. Kawai T, Kishino M, Hiranuma H, Sasai T, Ishida T. A unique case of desmoplastic ameloblastoma: report of a case and a brief review of the English language literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radio Endod. 1999;87:258-63
17. Durmus E, Kalayci A, Ozturk A, Gunhan O. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma in the mandibleCraniofac Surg. 2003;14:873-5
18. Smullin SE, Faquin W, Susarla SM, Kaban LB. Peripheral desmoplastic ameloblastoma: report of a case and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med OralPathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;105:37 40
19. Kishino M, Murakami S, Fukuda Y, Ishida T. Pathology of desmoplastic ameloblastoma. J Oral Pathol Med. 2001; 30:35-40.
20. Philipsen HP, Ormiston IW, Reichart PA. The desmo and osteoplastic ameloblastoma. Histologic variant or clinicopathologic entity? Case reports. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1992; 21:352-7.
21. Minami M, Kaneda T, Yamamoto H, Ozawa K, Itai Y, Ozawa M. Ameloblastoma in the maxillomandibular region: MR imaging. Radiology. 1992; 184: 389-93
22. Kumamoto H, Kamakura S, Ooya K. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma in the mandible: Report of a case with an immunohistochemical study of epithelial cell markers. J Oral Med Pathol. 1998; 3: 45-8.
23. Nakamura N, Higuchi Y, Mitsuyasu T, Sandra F, Ohishi M. Comparison of long-term results between different approaches to ameloblastoma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 93:13-20.
24. Ng KH, Siar CH. Desmoplastic variant of ameloblastoma in Malaysians. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1993;31:299-30
25. Keszler A, Paparella ML, Dominguez FV. Desmoplastic and non-desmoplastic ameloblastoma: a comparative clinicopathological analysis. Oral Dis. 1996; 2:228–31.