IJCRR - 6(11), June, 2014
STUDIES ON THE TOXICOGENOMIC EFFECTS OF ORGANOPHOSPHATE PESTICIDE DIMETHOATE [O,O-DIMETHYL S-(N-METHYLCARBAMOYLMETHYL) PHOSPHORODITHIOATE] IN CYPRINUS CARPIO L.
Author: Md. Niamat Ali, Hilal Ahmad Ganaie, ZeenatNisar
Aim: Since 1940s, chemical pesticides of one form or another have become a dominant and essential form of pest control throughout much of the world. Because of the widespread use of pesticides for domestic and industrial applications, the evaluation of their toxic effects is of major concern to public health. The aim of the present study was to investigate the toxicogenomics effects of dimethoate (DM), an organophosphorus pesticide, to target the chromosomes of fish. Methodology: In the present investigation, two species of Cyprinuscarpio L. i.e. Cyprinuscarpiospecularis and Cyprinuscarpiocommunis were treated with three sub-lethal concentrations of DM (5 ppm, 10 ppm, & 15 ppm.). After treatment, the frequency of micronuclei was examined at the duration of 24, 48 and 72h. The micronucleus test (MNT) was used for assessing the genotoxicity of the fishes by the preparation of slides and scoring of micronuclei. Results: The pesticide treatment caused significant changes in the frequencies of micronuclei in erythrocytes of Cyprinuscarpiospecularis and Cyprinuscarpiocommunis. Micronuclei were non-refractive small nuclei lying near the main nucleus displaying the same pattern as the main nucleus. Nuclear abnormalities were like cells with binuclei, blebbed nuclei, lobed nuclei and notched nuclei. Conclusion: It was concluded that the pesticide dimethoate possess mutagenic potential at varying extent. A time and dose dependent increase in the frequency of micro-nucleated erythrocytes was found.
Keywords: Toxicogenomics, dimethoate, micronucleus, Cyprinuscarpio
Md. Niamat Ali, Hilal Ahmad Ganaie, ZeenatNisar. STUDIES ON THE TOXICOGENOMIC EFFECTS OF ORGANOPHOSPHATE PESTICIDE DIMETHOATE [O,O-DIMETHYL S-(N-METHYLCARBAMOYLMETHYL) PHOSPHORODITHIOATE] IN CYPRINUS CARPIO L. International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(11), June, 79-86
1. Konradsen F. Acute pesticide poisoning-a global public health problem. Dan Med Bull. 2007; 54 (1):58-59.
2. Alavanja MC. Introduction: pesticide use and exposure extensive worldwide. Rev Environ Health. 2009; 24(4): 303-309.
3. British Crop Protection Council. The ePesticide Manual (2012). BCPC, Hampshire, UK, updated version 6.0: http://www.bcpc.org/shop/e-pesticidemanual_v6.0.html
4. IARC. Occupational exposures in insecticide application and some pesticides. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, Vol.53, IARC, Lyon. 1991.
5. Al-Sabti K. Comparative micronucleated erythrocyte cell induction in three cyprinids by five carcinogenic – mutagenic chemicals. Cytobios. 1986; 47:147-154.
6. Stanimirovic Z, Stevanovic J, Bajic V, Radovic I. Evaluation of genotoxic effects of fumagillin by cytogenetic tests in-vivo. Mutat Res. 2007; 628:1-10.
7. Talapatra SN, Banerjee SK. Detection of micronucleus and abnormal nucleus in erythrocytes from the gill and kidney of Labeo bata cultivated in sewage fed fish farms. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007; 45(2): 10- 15.
8. Barber D, Corell L, Ehrich M. Comparative effectiveness of organophosphorus protoxicant activating systems in neuroblastoma cell and homogenates. J Toxicol Environ Health. 1999; 57:63-74.
9. Rao KSP, Rao RKV. Regulation of Phosphorylases and aldolases in the tissues of the teleost (Tilapia mossambica) under methyl parathion impact. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 1983; 31: 427-478.
10. Metcalf CD, Al-Sabti K. Fish micronuclei for assessing genotoxicity in water. Mutat Res. 1995; 343: 121-135.
11. Arasta T, Bais VB, Thakur P. Effect of nuvan on some biochemical parameters of Indian cat fish Mystus vaitatus. J Environ Rea. 1996; 80: 80-83.
12. Niamat AM , Nazam N, Lone MI, Shaikh S, Ahmad W. Evidence of apoptosis in some cell types due to pentachlorophenol (PCP) in Heteropneustes fossilis. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2013; 20(1): 45-49
13. Ahmad W, Ali MN, Farah MA, Ateeq B. Computerized automated morphometric assay including frequency estimation of pentachlorophenol induced nuclear anomalies [micronucleus] in catfish Heteropneustes fossilis. Chromosoma. 2002; 110 (8), 570–574.
14. Ali MN, Ahmad W. Effect of pentachlorophenol on chromosomes of a catfish, Heteropneustes fossilis. Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 1998; 36: 304–307.
15. Minissi S, Ciccotti E, Rissoni M. Micronucleus test in erythrocytes of Barbus plabejus (teleost Pisces) from two natural environments: a bioassay for the insitu detection of mutagens in freshwater. Mutat Res. 1996; 343:121-135.
16. Carrasco K, Tilbury KL, Mays MS. Assessment of the piscine micronuclei test as an insitu biological indicator of chemical contaminants effects. Can J fish aquat Sci. 1990; 47:2123-2136.
17. Kamath V, Rajini PS. Altered glucose homeostasis and oxidative impairment in pancreas of rats subjected to dimethoate intoxication. Toxicology. 2007; 231:137- 146.
18. Kamath V, Joshi AKR, Rajini PS. Dimethoate induced biochemical perturbations in rat pancreas and its attenuation by cashew nut skin extract. Pestic Biochem Phys. 2008; 90:58-62.
19. Astiz M, Hurtado de Catalfo GE, de Alaniz MJ, Marra CA. Involvement of lipids in Dimethoate-induced inhibition of Testosterone biosynthesis in rat interstitial cells. Lipids. 2009; 44 (8):703-718.
20. Saafi EB, Louedia M, Elfeki A, Zakhama A, Najar MF, Hammami M, Achour L. Protective effect of date palm fruit extract (Phoenix dactylifera L.) on dimethoate induced- oxidative stress in rat liver. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2010; 63:433-441.
21. Astiz M., de Alaniz MJ, Marra CA. Effect of pesticides on cell survival in liver and brain rat tissues. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2009; 72(7): 2025-2032.
22. Mohn G. 5-methyl tryptophan resistance mutations in Escherichia coli k-12. Mutagenic activity of mono functional alkylating agents including organo phosphorous indecticides. Mutat Res. 1973; 20:7-15.
23. Douglas NH. Freshwater fishes of Lovisiana. Lovisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission Bat on Rouge, LA. 1974; 443.
24. Page LM, Burr BM. A field guide to fresh water fishes of North America north of Mexico. The Peterson Field Guide Series, 1991; Vol. 42. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston MA. Avaibable from
25. McCrimmon H. Carp in Canada Fisheries research Board of Canada. 1968; http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/ accounts/information/cyprinus_carpio.html
26. Johnson WW, Finley MT. Handbook of acute toxicity of chemicals to fish and aquatic invertebrates. Resource published 137. US Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service Washington, DC. 1980; 5- 17.
27. Schmid W. The micronucleus test. Mutat Res. 1975; 31: 9-15.
28. Pascoe S, Gatehouse D. The use of a simple haematoxilin and eosin staining procedure to demonstrate micronuclei within rodent bone marrow. Mutat Res. 1986; 164:237-243.
29. Hooftman RN, de Raat WK. Induction of nuclear anomalies (micronuclei) in peripheral blood erythrocytes of eastern mudminnow Umbra pygmaea by Ethyl methane sulphonate. Mutat Res. 1982; 104:147-152.
30. Van Der Oost R, Beyer J, Vermeulen NPE. Fish bioaccumulation and biomarkers in environmental risk assessment: a review. Environ Toxicol Phar. 2003; 13: 57-149.
31. Gustavino B, Scornajehghi KA, Minissi S, Ciccotti E. Micronuclei induced in erythrocytes of Cyprinus carpio (teleost, pisces) by X-rays and colchicine. Mutat Res. 2001; 494:151-159.
32. Palhares D, Grisolia CK. Comparison between the micronucleus frequencies of kidney and gill erythrocytes in tilapia fish, following mitomycin C treatment. Genet Mol Biol. 2002; 25:281-284.
33. Rodriguez-Cea A, Ayllon F, Garciavazque ZE. Micronucleus test in freshwater fish species: an evaluation of its sensitivity for application in field surveys. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2003; 56:442-448.
34. Buschini A, Martino A, Gustavino B, Manfrinotte M, Poli P, Rossi C, Santoro M, Door AJM. Rizzoni M. Comet assay and micronucleus test in circulating erythrocytes of Cyprinus carpio specimens exposed in situ to lake waters treated with disinfectants for potabilization. Mutat Res. 2004; 557:119-129.
35. Ateeq B, Abdul Farah M, Niamat Ali M, Ahmad W. Induction of micronuclei and erythrocyte alterations in the cat fish Clarias batrachus by 2,4- dichlorophenoxy acetic acid and butachlor. Mutat Res. 2002; 518:135-144.
36. Farah MA, Ateeq B, Ali MN, Ahmad W. Evaluation of genotoxicity of PCP and 2,4- D by micronucleus test in freshwater fish Channa punctatus. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2003; 54:25-29.
37. Nepomuceno JC, Spano MA. Induction of micronuclei in peripheral erythrocytes of Cyprinus carpio fish by methyl parathion. Revue of International Contaminant Ambient. 1995; 11: 9-12.
38. Cavas T, Ergene GS. Evaluation of the genotoxic potential of lambda- Cyhalothrin using nuclear and nucleolar biomarkers on fish cells. Mutat Res. 2003; 534: 93-99.
39. Nepomuceno JC, Ferrari I, Spano MA, Centeno AJ. Detection of micronuclei in peripheral erythrocytes of Cyprinus carpio exposed to metallic mercury. Environ Mol Mutagen. 1997; 30(3):293-297.
40. Pacheco M, Santos MA. Induction of liver EROD and erythrocyte nuclear abnormalities by cyclophosphamide and PAHs in Anguilla Anguilla L. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 1998; 40:71-76.
41. Gallo MA, Lawryk NJ. Phorate In: Hayes WJ Jr, Laws ER Jr, eds. Classes of Pesticides. San Diego CA, USA: Academic press, Inc, 1055-7. (Handbook of Pesticide Toxicology. 1991; 2: Sect 167.4).
42. Begum G, Vijayaraghavan S. Effect of acute exposure of the organophosphate insecticide Rogor on some biochemical aspect of Clarias batrachcus (Linn). Environ Res. 1999; 80:80-83.
43. Hamed RR, Elawa Sh E, Farid NM, Ataya FSh. Evaluation of detoxification enzyme levels in Egyptian catfish, Clarias lazera, exposed to dimethoate. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 1999; 63:789-796.
44. Tripathi PK, Srivastava VK, Singh A. Toxic Effects of dimethoate (organophosphate) on metabolism and enzyme system of fresh water teleost fish Channa punctatus. Asian Fishries Soc. 2003; 16:349-359.
45. IPCS/WHO, Classification of Pesticides by Hazard and Guidelines to Classification. Switzerland, Geneva; 2001.
46. Saafi EB, Louedi M, Elfeki A, et al. Protective effect of date palm fruit extract (Phoenix dactylifera L.) on dimethoate induced oxidative stress in rat liver. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2010; 63(5): 433-441.
47. Sivapiriya V, Jayanthisakthisekaran J, Venkatraman S. Effects of dimethoate (O, O,-dimethyl S-methyl carbamoyl methyl phosphorodithioate) and ethanol in antioxidant status of liver and kidney of experimental mice. Pest Biochem Physiol. 2006; 85(2):115-121.