IJCRR - 6(11), June, 2014
RESULTS OF EARLY EXCISION OF POST TRAUMATIC HETEROTROPHIC OSSIFICATION OF ELBOW -FOLLOW UP REPORTS ON 17 PATIENTS
Author: Ravichandran S., Surendher Kumar R., Ramesh Periyasamy, Krishnagopal R.
We review our results of 17 patients, who had early excision 5 months (3-8 months) of post traumaticHeterotrophic ossification (HO) of elbow,followed by medical treatment with indomethacin to prevent recurrence, in our study. The average age group of our patients is 24 years (15-38). There were 12 males and 5 females. The patients were followed up for average of 58 months (38-90 months). The mean preoperative Mayo Elbow Performance Score (MEPS) was 63(40-80), and the mean MEPS core at final follow up is 90(75-100). According to MEPS, 13 patients had excellent result and 4 patients had good result. All the patients were asymptomatic at the time of final follow up. One patient with intra operative ulnar nerve injury recovered partially, and remained with some disability at final follow up. Patient with pre operative median nerve palsy recovered completely at 3 months post operatively.
Keywords: Heterotrophic Ossification, MEPS, Early Excision
Ravichandran S., Surendher Kumar R., Ramesh Periyasamy, Krishnagopal R.. RESULTS OF EARLY EXCISION OF POST TRAUMATIC HETEROTROPHIC OSSIFICATION OF ELBOW -FOLLOW UP REPORTS ON 17 PATIENTS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(11), June, 36-42
1. Thompson, H. C., III; and Garcia, A.: Myositis ossificans: aftermath of elbow injuries. Clin.Orthop. 1967; 50: 129-134.
2. Evans EB. Orthopedic measures in the treatment of severe burns. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1966;48:643-69.
3. Garland, D. E.; Hanscom, D. A.; Keenan, M.A.; Smith, C.; and Moore, T.: Resection of heterotopic ossification in the adult with head trauma. J. Bone and Joint Surg. Oct. 1985; 67- A:1261-1269.
4. Hoffer, M. M.; Brody, G.; and Ferlic, F.:Excision of heterotopic ossification aboutelbows in patients with thermal injury. J.Trauma1978; 18:667-670.
5. Peterson, S. L.; Mani, M. M.; Crawford, C.M.; Neff, J. R.; and Hiebert, J. M.:Postburn heterotopic ossification: insights for management decision making. J. Trauma 1989; 29:365-369.
6. Roberts, J. B.; and Pankratz, D. G.: The surgical treatment of heterotopic ossification at the elbow following long-term coma. J.Bone and Joint Surg. July 1979; 61-A:760- 763.
7. David Ring, Jesse B. Jupiter. Operative Release of Complete Ankylosis of the Elbow Due to Heterotopic Bone in Patients without Severe Injury of the Central Nervous System.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:849-857
8. Beingessner DM, Patterson SD, King GJ.Early excision of Heterotopic bone in the forearm. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2000;25:483-8.
9. McAuliffe JA, WolfsonAH.Early excision of heterotopic ossification about the elbow followed by radiation therapy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:749-55.
10. Viola RW, HanelDP.Early “simple” release of posttraumatic elbow contracture associatd with heterotopic ossification. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999;24:370-80.
11. GARLAND. D. E., and RHOADES, M. E.: Orthopaedic Management of Brain-Injured Adults. Part II. Clin.Orthop., 131: 111-122, 1982.
12. Alok Gaur, Marc Sinclair, Enzo Caruso, Giuseppe Peretti and David Zaleske. Heterotopic Ossification Around the Elbow Following Burns in Children: Results After Excision .J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:1538-1543.
13. DE Garland, CE Blum and RL Waters.Periarticular heterotopic ossification in head-injured adults.Incidence and location.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1980;62:1143-1146
14. R. H. Wittenberg, U. Peschke, U. B?tel;Heterotopic Ossification After Spinal Cord Injury Epidemiology And Risk Factors,Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1992; 74-B :215- 8.
15. T. W. Axelrad,B. Steen,D. W. Lowenberg,W. R. Creevy;T. A. Einhorn. Heterotopic ossification after the use ofcommercially available recombinant human bone morphogenetic proteins in four patients,J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2008;90-B:1617-22
16. Munster AM, Bruck HM, Johns LA, Von Prince K, Kirkman EM, RemigRL.Heterotopic calcification following burns: a prospective study. J Trauma.1972;12:1071-4.
17. L. Sazbon, T. Najenson, M. Tartakovsky, E. Becker, Z. Grosswasser. Widespread Periarticular New-Bone Formation In LongTerm Comatose Patients. British Editorial Society Of Bone And Joint Surgery 1981; Vol. 63-B, No. 1, 1981, 120-125
18. Garland, D. E.: A clinical perspective on common forms of acquired heterotopic ossification. Clin.Orthop.1991; 263:13-29.
19. Hastings, H., II; and Graham, T. J.: The classification and treatment of heterotopic ossification about the elbow and forearm.HandClin. 1994; 10:417-437.
20. Jupiter, J. B.: Heterotopic ossification about the elbow. In Instructional Course Lectures,The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Vol. 40, pp. 41-44. Park Ridge,Illinois, The American Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons, 1991.
21. T. N. Board,A. Karva,R. E. Board,A. K. Gambhir,M. L. Porter.The prophylaxis and treatment of heterotopic ossification following lower limb arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]2007;89-B:434-40.
22. Ahrengart L, Lindgren U, Reinholt FP. Comparative study of the effects of radiation,indomethacin, prednisilone and ethane-1-hydroxy-1, 1-disphonate (EHDP) in the prevention of ectopic bone formation. ClinOrthop 1988;229:265-73.
23. Burd TA, Lowry KJ, Anglen JO. Indomethacin compared with localized irradiation for the prevention of heterotopic ossification following surgical treatment of acetabular fractures. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 2001;83-:1783-8.
24. Matta JM, Siebenrock KA. Does indomethacin reduce heterotopic bone formation after operations for acetabular fractures?: a prospective randomised study. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1997;79-B:959-63.
25. McLaren AC. Prophylaxis with indomethacin for heterotopic bone after open reduction of fractures of the acetabulum. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1990;72-A:245-7.