IJCRR - 6(12), June, 2014
INHIBITION OF CORROSION OF MILD STEEL IN 1M SULPHURIC ACID BY A NEW SCHIFF BASE
Author: P.M. Dasami, K. Parameswari, S. Chitra
Category: General Sciences
Aim: Corrosion is a serious problem faced by all the industries. The use of inhibitors is a simple and cost effective method to control corrosion. This paper reports the synthesis of a novel Schiff base and its application as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel. Methodology: Inhibition behaviour of synthesized Schiff base for the corrosion of mild steel in 1M H2SO4was studied by weight loss measurements, potentiodynamic polarization, and andelectrochemical impedance spectra. Results: The results revealed that the efficiency depends on concentration of the inhibitor and temperature. The inhibitor obeys Langmuir isotherm indicating monolayer adsorption on the mild steel surface. Thermodynamic parameters show that the adsorption of the inhibitor on mild steel surface occurs through electrostatic attraction. Polarization studies show that the inhibitor behaves as mixed type in 1M H2SO4 affecting both anodic metal dissolution and cathodic hydrogen evolution. The formation of surface adsorptive film of the Schiff base on the mild steel surface was confirmed by SEM and EDX studies. Conclusion: The prepared Schiff base is found to be a very good inhibitor for the mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid media even at low concentration offers more than 90% inhibition efficiency.
Keywords: Inhibitors, Schiff base, Thiadiazoles, Potentiodynamic polarization, Langmuir isotherm, Impedance.
P.M. Dasami, K. Parameswari, S. Chitra. INHIBITION OF CORROSION OF MILD STEEL IN 1M SULPHURIC ACID BY A NEW SCHIFF BASE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(12), June, 01-11
1. Bentiss F, Traisnel M, Hildebrand HF, Lagrenee M, 2,5 –bis (4- dimethylaminophenyl)-1,3,4- oxadiazoleand 2,5-bis (4-dimethylaminophenyl)1,3,4- thiadiazole as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in acidic media.Corro. Sci. 2004; 46: 2781-2792
2. Ozcan M, Dehri I, Erbil M, Organic sulphur containing compounds as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in acidic media: correlation between inhibition efficiency and chemical structure. Appl. Surf. Sci., 2004; 236: 155- 164.
3. Elawady GY, El-Said IA, Fouda AS, Anion surfactants as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium dissolution in HClsolutions.Int.J.Electrochem. Sci, 2008; 3: 177-190.
4. Martinex. S, Stern. I, Thermodynamic characterization of metal dissolution and inhibitor adsorption processes in the low carbon steel/mimosa tannin/suphuric acid system. Appl. Surf. Sci. 2002; 199: 83-89
5. Ananthkumar Ra S, Sankar A, Ramesh kumarS,Corrosion Inhibition Of Mild Steel In 0.5M H2SO4 By 1-(2-Methyl-4-(2- Methylphenyldiazenyl) Phenyl) Azonapthalen-2-ol. Am. J. of Engg Res. (AJER), 2013; Volume-02, Issue-09: 17-22.
6. PopovaS,SokolovaA, Raicheva S, ChristovM., AC and DC study of the temperature effect on mild steel corrosion in acid media in the presence of benzimidazolederivatives.Corro. Sci.2003; 45: 33-58 Bockris JOM., ReddyAKN., Mod.Electrochem.,vol 2, Plenum Press, Newyork (1977) 126
8. Chitra. S, ParameswariK., Vidhya. M,Kalishwari M, and SelvarajA., Sulpha Schiff bases are corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in 1M H2SO4, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 2011; 6: 4593
9. Bentiss. F, Lebrini M, LagreneM. , Thermodynamic characterisation of metal dissolution and inhibitor adsorption processes in mild steel /2,5-bis(n-thionyl)- 1,3,4- thiadiazoles / hydrochloric acid system,Corros. Sci2005;47: 2915-2931.
10. Jayaprabha C, Sathiyanarayanan S, VenkatachariG., Influence of metal cations in the inhibitive effect of polyaniline for iron in 0.5M H2SO4, Mater.chem.and phy 2005; 107: 350.
11. Shaju KS,Joby Thomas K, Vinod P. Raphael, and Aby Paul, Electrochemical and Surface Morphological Studiesof Carbon Steel Corrosion by a Novel Polynuclear SchiffBase in HCl Solution. ISRN Electrochem, 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/820548
12. Rajappa SK, Venkatesha TV, Praveen BM, Chemical treatment of zinc surface and its corrosion inhibition studies. Bull. Mater. Sci., 2008;31: pp. 37–41.