IJCRR - 6(13), July, 2014
STUDY OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF NANO SILVER (NS) IN TISSUE CULTURE MEDIA
Author: Ibrahim Bala Salisu, Aminu Shehu Abubakar, Madhu Sharma, Ramesh N. Pudake
Category: General Sciences
Plant tissue culture is a basic and fundamental component of plant biotechnology and progress in various fields of biotechnology greatly depends on the improvement of this technique. Nowadays, nanomaterials especially Nano silver (NS) are frequently being used as an antimicrobial agent in different fields of sciences including in vitro propagation of plants. Microbial contamination is one of the most serious problems in plant tissue culture and various techniques are being employed to reduce it. This study was carried out to assay the anti-microbial activities of green synthesized silver nanoparticles in the tissue culture growth mediaIn order to assay the efficacy of NS in controlling microbial contamination in the tissue culture; we first synthesized the AgNPs from the leaf extract of Lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus). The synthesized AgNPswere characterized by UV-vis spectroscopy (UV-vis), and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). After wards, we used various rate of silver nano particles in MS media (5, 10, 20, 25, 40 ml L-1) and the sterilized explants from C. citratuswere cultured on MS medium and evaluatedafter a week interval upto the 4th week of treatment. Adding nano silver at the rate of 40 ml L-1 to growth media was fully effective to control the bacterial infection when evaluated after four weeks of culturing. The finding of this study indicates that NS has a good potential in eliminating of the bacterial contaminants in plant tissue culture.
Keywords: Antimicrobial activity, Nano Silver, Biosynthesis, Cymbopogon citratus, Tissue Culture
Ibrahim Bala Salisu, Aminu Shehu Abubakar, Madhu Sharma, Ramesh N. Pudake. STUDY OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF NANO SILVER (NS) IN TISSUE CULTURE MEDIA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(13), July, 01-05
1. Abdi G, Salehi H, Khosh-Khui M. Nano silver: A novel nanomaterial for removal of bacterial contaminants in valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.) tissue culture. Acta Physiol Plant 2008; 30: 709-714.
2. Asaolu MF, Oyeyemi OA, Olanlokun JO. Chemical compositions,phytochemical constituents and in vitro biological activity of various extracts ofCymbopogon citratus, P.J. Ntr, 2009; 8(12): 1920-1922.
3. Deepak V, Kalishwaralal K, Pandian SRK, Gurunathan S. An insight into the bacterial biogenesis of silver nanoparticles, industrial production and scale-up In Rai, M., Duran, N. (Eds), Metal nanoparticles in microbiology 2011; pp 17-35. http://www.springer.com/978- 3-642-18311-9
4. Fakhrfeshani M, Bagheri A, Sharifi A. Disinfecting effects of nano-silver fluids in Gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii) capitulum tissue culture. J. Biol. Environ Sci2012; 6: 121-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7439.1000161
5. Jain D, Kumar H, Daima S, Kachhwaha S, Kothari L. Synthesis of Plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using papaya fruit extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. A. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures 2009; 4: 557 – 563.
6. Jo YK, Kim BH, Jung G. Antifungal activity of silver ions and nanoparticles on phytopathogenic fungi. Plant Disease 2009; 93:1037-1043.
7. Kohanski MA, Dwyer DJ, Collins JJ. How antibiotics kill bacteria: from targets to networks. Nat Rev Microbiol 2010; 8(6): 423- 435.
8. Li Q,Mahendra SH, Lyon DY, Brunet L, Liga MV, Li D. Alvarez PJJ. Antimicrobial Nanomaterial for water disinfection and microbial control: Potential applications and Implications. J Inter water research 2008; 42.
9. Mahna N, Vahed SZ, KhaniS. (2013). Plant in vitro culture goes nano: Nano silver-mediated decontamination of ex vitro explants: J Nanomed Nanotech., 4:2.http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157- 7439.1000161.
10. Murashige T, Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco Tissue cultures. Physiol Plant 1962; 5:473-97.
11. Rai MK, Deshmukh SD, Ingle AP, Gade AK. Silver nanoparticles: the powerful nanoweapon against multidrug-resistant bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 2012; 112(5): 841- 52.
12. Safavi K, Esfahanizadeh M, Mortazaeinezahad DH, Dastjerd H. The study of Nano-Silver (NS) antimicrobial activity and evaluation of using NS in tissue culture media. Inter Conference on Life Sci and Tech, IPBCEE 2011.
13. Shah G, Shri R, Panchal V, Sharma N, Singh B. Scientific basis for the therapeutic useof Cymbopogon citratus. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011; 2(1), 3–8.
14. SofoworaEA, OlaniyiAA, Oguntimehin BO. Pyhtochemical Investigation of some Nigerian Plants used against fevers. Planta Med 1982; 28: 186-189.