IJCRR - 6(15), August, 2014
ISOLATED LEFT LUNG HYPOPLASIA IN AN ADULT- A CASE REPORT
Author: Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Manju R, Srinivas Banoth, Pratap Upadhaya
Congenital anomalies of the lung occur due to various insults to the developing lung. Pulmonary hypoplasia is congenital
anomaly that can present either in isolation or with other anomalies. However they are not routinely considered in the differential diagnosis in adults. We present a case of isolated left lung hypoplasia in an adult who had no significant respiratory symptoms. We believe this case report would help in better understanding of this condition and help to create further interest in other similar conditions.
Keywords: Pulmonary hypoplasia, CT chest, Fiberoptic bronchoscopy
Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Manju R, Srinivas Banoth, Pratap Upadhaya. ISOLATED LEFT LUNG HYPOPLASIA IN AN ADULT- A CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(15), August, 49-52
1. Boyden EA. Developmental anomalies of the lungs. Am J Surg 1955; 89: 79-89.
2. Kant S: Unilateral Pulmonary Hypoplasia. A case report. Lung India 2007; 24: 69-71.
3. DeFelice M, Silberschmidt D, DiLauro R, et al. TTF-1 phosphorylation is required for peripheral lung morphogenesis, perinatal survival, and tissue-specific gene expression. J Biol Chem. Sep 12 2003;278(37):35574-83.
4. Jay PY, Bielinska M, Erlich JM, et al. Impaired mesenchymal cell function in Gata4 mutant mice leads to diaphragmatic hernias and primary lung defects. Dev Biol. 2007 Jan 15;301(2):602-14.
5. Kling DE, Narra V, Islam S, et al. Decreased mitogen activated protein kinase activities in congenital diaphragmatic hernia-associated pulmonary hypoplasia. J Pediatr Surg. Oct 2001;36(10):1490-6.
6. Kendig and Chernick’s Disorders of the Respiratory Tract in Children. 8th edition. Elseiver publication.
7. Lindner W, Pohlandt F, Grab D, Flock F. acute respiratory failure and short-term outcome after premature rupture of the membranes and oligohydramnios before 20 weeks of gestation. J Pediatr 2002;140:177–82.
8. Kumar P, Burton BK. Congenital Malformations. Evidenced Based Management. Chicago: The McGraw Hill companies; 2008. Chapter 22, Pulmonary Hypoplasia; p.143.
9. Mata JM, Caceres J, Lucaya J. et al.: CT of congenital malformations of lung. Radio graphics. 1990; 10: 651.
10. Vergani P. Prenatal diagnosis of pulmonary hypoplasia. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. Mar 2012;24(2):89-94.
11. Obenauer S, Maestre LA. Fetal MRI of lung hypoplasia: imaging findings. Clin Imaging. Jan-Feb 2008;32(1):48-50..
12. Moore ADA, Godwin JD, Dietrich PA et al.: Swyer James Syndrome: CT findings in eight patients. Am. J. Roentgenol. 1992; 158: 1211.
13. Ghosh N, Das N, Nayak K Lung Hypoplasia Without Other Congenital Anomaly- A Rarely Encountered Entity : J Nepal Paediatr Soc 2013;33(2):138-140.
14. Terry Chin, Yazin Said, Natrajan, Abdulhamid I. Pulmonary hypoplasia. Available from:http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic 2627.htm 15. Sundararajaperumal A, Vinodkumar V, Sundar V, Ranganathan D. Primary Pulmonary Hypoplasia in an adult. Pulmon 2008; 10 : 1 : 12 – 15.