IJCRR - 6(15), August, 2014
Evaluation of results of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation with Dynamic Condylar Screw in management of fracture distal third femur
Author: Ramavtar Saini, Rakesh Kumar Mishra, Anamika Vyas
Introduction: Fractures of distal third femur may present difficulties in their treatment and require careful management to obtain good cosmetic and functional results. In recent years greater advances have been made in understanding the technique of internal fixation. Over the time different type of implants angle blade plate, rush rod, enders nail have been used for the fixation of these fractures. These devices are technically demanding and none of them can provide interfragmentary compression across intercondylar fracture surface. However it is documented that dynamic condylar screw can solve these problems with added advantages of early functional rehabilitation of knee, stable internal fixation and maintenance of joint congruity.
Aim: The study was conducted to evaluate the results of dynamic condylar screw in management of fracture distal third femur in adults, at the same time comparing the results with other studies. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 30 patients of fractures of distal third femur treated by open reduction
and internal fixation with dynamic condylar screw with a post operative follow up of one year. Releavant parameters like time of union, range of movements at knee and complication associated with these fractures treated with dynamic condylar screw were recorded. Schatzker and Lambert criteria were used to grade the result.
Results: Out of 30 patients, 26 (87%) were male and 4 (13%) were female. The cause of injury was road traffic accident in 27 (90%) cases. Average time of union was 15 weeks. In 21 patients (i.e. 70%) the range of movement of knee was 110° on above.
Two patients (7%) had non union. There were 4 patients (13%) with knee stiffness and two (7%) with limb shorting up to 1.5cm.
Infection was also noted in 2 patients (7%). The surgical outcome was excellent in 12 patients (40%), good in 9 patients (30%), fair in 5 patient (17%) and poor in 4 patient (13%).
Conclusion : The dynamic condylar screw is an easy, technically less demanding and effective method for treatment of fracture distal third femur.
Keywords: Fracture, Femur, Dynamic Condylar Screw (DCS), management
Ramavtar Saini, Rakesh Kumar Mishra, Anamika Vyas. Evaluation of results of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation with Dynamic Condylar Screw in management of fracture distal third femur International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(15), August, 01-05
1. Arneson TJ, Melton LJ, Lewallen DG, et al. Epidemiology of diaphyseal and distal femoral fractures in Rochester, Minnesota, 1965-1984. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1988; 234:188-194.
2. Martinet O, Cordey J, Harder Y, Maier A, Buhler M, Barraud GE. The epidemiology of fractures of the distal femur. Injury. 2000;31(suppl 3):C62-C63.
3. Giles JB, Delee JC, Heekman JD. Supracondylar-intercondylar fracture of the femur treated with a supracondylar plate and leg screw. JBJS 1982;64-A:868.
4. Healy WI, Brooker AF. Distal femur fractures: comparison of open and close methods of treatment. Clin Orthop 1983;174:166-71.
5. Mize BD, Bnchol RW, Gorgen DP. Surgical treatment of displaced communicated fractures of the distal end of the femur. JBJS 1982;64-A:871-9.
6. Schatzker J, Lambert DC. Supracondylar fracture of the femur. Clin Orthop 1979;138:77-83.
7. Zickle RE, Fietti VG, Lawsing TF. A new intramedullary fixation device for the distal third of the femur. Clin orthop 1997;125:185- 91.
8. Muller ME, Allgower M, Schneider R, et al. Mannual of internal fixation New York: Springer-Verlag, 1979
9. Sanders R, Regazzoni P, Ruedi TP: Treatment of supracondylar intercondylar fractures of the femur using the dynamic condylar screw. J Orthop Trauma 1989;3:214-222.
10. Harder Y, Martinert O, Barraud GE, et al: The mechanics of internal fixation of fractures of the distal femur:a comparision of the condylar screw (CS) with the condylar plate (CP), Injury 30:A31, 1999
11. Muller ME, Nazarian S, Koch P, Schatzker J. The comprehensive classification of fractures of long bones. Berlin, etc: SpringerVerlag, 1990.
12. Johnson KD, Hicken G. Distal femoral fractures. Orthop Clin North Am 1987;18:115-32.
13. Kregor PJ. Distal femur fractures with complex articular involvement: management by articular exposure and submuscular fixation. Orthop Clin North Am 2002;33:153-75.
14. Mc Laren AC, Blokker CP. Locked intramedullary fixation for metaphyseal malunion and nonunion. Clip Orthop 1991;265:253- 60.
15. Insal JN. Fracture of distal femur. In Insal JN Ed, surgery of the knee. Churchil Livingstone New York, Edinburg, London, Malburne 1984;413-48.
16. Olerud S. Operative treatment of supracondylar fracture of the femur. J bone Joint Surg [Am] 1972;54-A:1015-32.
17. Huang HT, Huang PJ, Su JY, Lin SY. Indirct reduction bridge plating of supracondylar frature of the femur. Injury 2003;34:135-40.
18. Schewring DJ, Meggit BF. Fracture of the distal femur treated with the AO Dynamic Condylar Screw. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1992;74:122-5.
19. Marya KM. Critical evaluation of management of fracture shaft of femur by Brooker-Willis nails. J Bone Joint Surg [Am ]2003;85:2093-6.
20. Christodoulou A, Terzidis I, Ploumis A, Metsovitis S, Koukoulidis A, Toptsis C. Supracondylar femoral fractures in elderly patients treated with the dynamic condylar screw and the retrograde intramedullary nail: a comparative study of the two methods. Arc Orthop Trauma Surg 2005;125:73-9.
21. Khan AM, Shafique M, Sahibzada AS, Sultan S. Management of type-A supracondylar fractures of femur with dynamic condylar screw. J Med Sci 2006;14:44-7.
22. Ali I, Shahabuddin. Surgical outcome of supracondylar and intercondylar fractures femur in adults treated with dynamic condylar screw. JPMI2011,vol.25,no.1:49-55.
23. Fu HD, Ching Y, Wei-ming C, Yao OF, Wood C, Tianxiong C, et al. Dynamic condylar screw for fracture of the distal femur. J. Orthop Surg Taiwan 1996;3:237-42.
24. Sudheer U, Sreejith TG, Marthya A, Gopinath P, Raveendran MK. A prospective study on the functional outcome following open reduction and internal fixation in supracondylar, intercondylar fracture femur. J Orthop 2007;4:30.