IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 16, August, 2014
DIRECT HYPERBILIRUBINEMIA AS AN INITIAL PRESENTATION OF PRECURSOR B-CELL ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIA IN A SAUDI CHILD
Author: Mona S. Asseri, Ali M. Alsuheel, Mohammed H. Albar, Ahmed Alhanshani, Safa Alhaider
Introduction: Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is the most common malignancy in Saudi children according to the Saudi cancer registry 2011. It involves excessive proliferation and impaired differentiation of leukemic blasts cells that lead to inadequate normal hematopoiesis. Case Report: 4 year-old Saudi boy presented to the emergency department at Aseer Central Hospital with obstructive jaundice. Bone marrow aspiration done and confirms the diagnosis of pre B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Conclusion: ALL is a rare cause of obstructive jaundice due to hepatic involvement. However, it should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any child presenting with obstructive jaundice and hence considering the subsequent investigation
Keywords: Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Direct Hyperbilirubinemia
Mona S. Asseri, Ali M. Alsuheel, Mohammed H. Albar, Ahmed Alhanshani, Safa Alhaider. DIRECT HYPERBILIRUBINEMIA AS AN INITIAL PRESENTATION OF PRECURSOR B-CELL ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIA IN A SAUDI CHILD International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 16, August, 41-43
1. Saudi cancer registry, http://www.scr.org.sa. Date retrieved: 10 August 2014.
2. Siddique et al.Precursor B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia presenting as obstructive jaundice: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2011, 5:269.
3. Rajeswari et al, Acute Myeloid Leukemia Presenting as Obstructive Jaundice. Indian Pediatrics, 2012; 49: 414-317.
4. Silverman LB. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Oncology of Infancy and Childhood. 2009; 10: 297-317.
5. Mori T, Sugita K, Suzuki T, et al.: Histopathologic features of the biopsied liver at the onset of childhood B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia presenting as severe jaundice. J Pediatr Gastroenterol 1997, 25:354-357.
6. Zafrani ES, Leclercq B, Vernant JP, Pinaudeau Y, Chomette G, Dhumeaux D: Massive blastic infiltration of the liver: a cause of fulminant hepatic failure. Hepatology 1983, 3:428-432.
7. Patel KJ, Latif SU, de Calaca WM: An unusual presentation of precursor T cell lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma with cholestatic jaundice: case report. J Hematol Oncol 2009, 2:12.
8. Alvaro F, Jain M, Morris LL, Rice MS: Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia presenting as jaundice. J Pediatr Child Health 1996, 32:466-468.
9. Tetsuya et al, Histopathologic Features of the Biopsied Liver at Onset of Childhood B-precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Presenting as Severe Jaundice. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 1997; 25(3): 354-357.
10. Khalid N. Abdurrahman. A Rare Presentation Of Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia With Obstructive Jaundice Due To Pancreatic Involvement - Case Report. Duhok Med J 2011; 5(1): 78-83.