IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 16, August, 2014
BISPHOSPHONATES IN DENTISTRY AN ASIAN PERSPECTIVE - EVIDENCE BASED REVIEW
Author: Vanaja Krishna Naik, Aruna Balasundaram, Harinath P., Caroline Jacob
Bisphosphonates are drugs with high affinity to bone, which accumulates in the bone matrix for a longer time and affects bone turnover. These are commonly prescribed in the management of malignant metastatic bone disorders and for several benign conditions such as osteoporosis and Paget’s disease. The objective of this review is to provide a comprehensive report on the drug bisphosphonate, clinical applications and its potential adverse effects, with special focus on Asian literature. Frequencies of patients who are on bisphosphonates are increasing in dental clinics these days. However regarding the use of this drug and its clinical implication from Asian countries are sparse, presumably due to under-reporting of cases or possibly wrong diagnoses. Hence we have made an attempt to reinforce the existing knowledge about this topic in Asian context along with latest information for the readers.
Keywords: Bisphosphonates, osteonecrosis of the jaws, Asian perspective, Dental uses, Periodontitis.
Vanaja Krishna Naik, Aruna Balasundaram, Harinath P., Caroline Jacob. BISPHOSPHONATES IN DENTISTRY AN ASIAN PERSPECTIVE - EVIDENCE BASED REVIEW International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 16, August, 07-19
1. Newman,Takei, Klokkevold, Carranza. Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology 11th edition: Perry R, Klokkevold and Brian L Mealey, Part 5, Chapter 27: influence of systemic condition on the periodontium. Elsevier publications, 2011: 315- 317.
2. Yazdana Arrain, Tahir Masud. Bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw – current thoughts. Dent update 2009; 36:415-419.
3. Howard C. Tenenbaum, Avi Shelemay, Bruno Girard, Ron Zohar , Peter C Fritz. Bisphosphonates and Periodontics – Potential application for regulation of bone mass in the periodontium and other therapeutic/diagnostic uses. J Periodontal 2002;73:813-822.
4. Niall M.H McLeod, Peter A.Brennan, Salvatore L. Ruggierro. Bisphosphonate osteonecrosis of the jaw - A historical and contemporary review. The Surgeon 2012; 10: 36-42.
5. R.G.G. Russel, N.B. Watts, F.H. Ebetino, M.J. Rogers Mechansim of action of bisphosphonates – similarities and differences and their potential influence on clinical efficacy. Osteoporos Int 2008;19:733-759.
6. Kate Barker, Simon Rogers. Bisphosphonates associated osteonecrosis of the jaw – a guide for the general dental practitioners. Dental update 2006;33:270-275.
7. Ligia J. Dominguez, Antonio Galioto, Anna Ferlisi, Maria Adele Alessi, Mario Belvedere, Ernesto Putignano, Giuseppe Costanza, Maurizio Bevilacqua, Mario Barbagallo. Intermittent intramuscular clodronate therapy: a valuable option for older osteoporotic women: Age and Ageing 2005; 34: 633–645.
8. Graziani F, Cei S, Guerrero A, LA Ferla F, Vano M, Tonetti M, Gabriele M. Lack of short term adjunctive effect of systemic neridronate in non-surgical periodontal therapy of advanced generalized chronic periodontitis: an open label randomized clinical trial. J. Clin Periodontal 2009;36:419- 427.
9. Hisashi Shinoda, Sadaaki Takeyama, Keiko Suzuki, Shinobu Murakami, and Shoji Yamada Forum Mini review Pharmacological Topics of Bone Metabolism:A Novel Bisphosphonate for the Treatment of Periodontitis. J Pharmacol Sci 106, 555 – 558 (2008).
10. Robert E Marx. Bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis of the jaws II edition. Chapter 2. Modes of action and pharmacokinetics of the bisphosphonate family. Page no: 9-21. Quintessence publishing, Inc.
11. Gideon A Rodan, Hervert A Fleisch. Bisphosphonates: mechanism of action. J. Clin Invest. 1996;97(12):2692- 2696.
12. Anke J. Roelofs, Keith Thompson, Sharon Gordon. Molecular Mechanisms of Action of Bisphosphonates: Current Status. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12:6222-6230.
13. R. Graham G. Russell. Bisphosphonates: Mode of Action and Pharmacology: Pediatrics 119, Supplement 2, March (2007) s150-s162.
14. Luigi Sinigaglia, Massimo Verenna, Silvia Casari. Pharmacokinetic profile of Bisphosphonates in the treatment of metabolic bone disorders. Clinical cases in mineral and bone metabolism 2007;4(1):30-36.
15. You L, Sheng ZY, Chen JY, Pan L, Chen L. The safety and efficacy of early-stage bi-weekly alendronate to improve bone mineral density and bone turnover in chinese postmenopausal women at risk of osteoporosis J Int Med Res 2011;39(1):302-10.
16. Jeal W, Barradell LB, McTavish D. Alendronate. A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in postmenopausal osteoporosis: Drugs. 1997 Mar; 53(3):415-34.
17. GL Borromeo, CE Tsao, IB Darby, PR Ebeling. A review of the clinical implication of bisphosphonates in dentistry. Australian Dental Journal 2011;56:2-9.
18. El-Shinnawi UM, El-Tantawy SI. The effect of alendronate sodium on alveolar bone loss in periodontitis (clinical trial): J Int Acad Periodontal. 2003 Jan;5(1):5-10.
19. Michael S. Reddy, Nico C. Geurs, John C. Gunsolley.Periodontal Host Modulation with Antiproteinase, Anti-Inflammatory, and Bone-Sparing Agents.A Systematic Review: Annals of Periodontology December 2003, Vol. 8, No. 1, Pages 12-37.
20. Menezes AM, Rocha FA, Chaves HV, Carvalho CB, Ribeiro RA, Brito GA. Effect of sodium alendronate on alveolar bone resorption in experimental periodontitis in rats. J Periodontol. 2005 Nov;76(11):1901-9.
21. Weinreb M, Quartuccio H, Seedor JG, Aufdemorte TB, Brunsvold M, Chaves E, Kornman KS, Rodan GA. Histomorphometrical analysis of the effects of the bisphosphonate alendronate on bone loss caused by experimental periodontitis in monkeys. . J Periodontal Res 1994 Jan; 29(1):35- 40.
22. G Thirumal Reddy, T M Pramod Kumar, and Veena. Formulation and evaluation of Alendronate Sodium gel for the treatment of bone resorptive lesions in Periodontitis Drug Deliv 2005 ; 12(4):217-22.
23. Jeffcoat MK, Cizza G, Shih WJ, Genco R, Lombardi A. Efficacy of bisphosphonates for the control of alveolar bone loss in periodontitis: J Int Acad Periodontol.2007 Jul; 9(3):70-6.
24. Anuj Sharma, A.R. Pradeep: Clinical efficacy of 1% Alendronate Gel in Adjunct to Mechanotherapy in the Treatment of Aggressive Periodontitis: A Randomised Controlled clinical Trial: J Periodontol 2012:83: 19-26.
25. Pradeep AR, Kumari M, Rao NS, Naik SB. 1% Alendronate Gel as Local Drug Delivery in the Treatment of Class II Furcation Defects: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. J Periodontol. 2013 Mar;84(3):307-15.
26. Binderman I, Adut M, Yaffe A. Effectiveness of local delivery of alendronate in reducing alveolar bone loss following periodontal surgery in rats. J Periodontol. 2000 Aug;71(8):1236-40.
27. Yaffe A, Iztkovich M, Earon Y, Alt I, Lilov R, Binderman I. Local delivery of an amino bisphosphonate prevents the resorptive phase of alveolar bone following mucoperiosteal flap surgery in rats J Periodontol. 1997 Sep;68(9):884-9.
28. Sharma A, Pradeep AR. Clinical efficacy of 1% alendronate gel as a local drug delivery system in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(1):11-8.
29. H R Veena, Deepak Prasad. Evaluation of an amino bisphosphonate (Alendronate) in the management of periodontal osseous defects. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 2010;14(1):40-45.
30. Pradeep AR, Sharma A, Rao NS, Bajaj P, Naik SB, Kumari M. Local drug delivery of alendronate gel for the treatment of patients with chronic periodontitis with diabetes mellitus: a double-masked controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012 Oct; 83(10):1322-8.
31. Philip M. Preshaw. Host response modulation in periodontics: Periodontology 2000, 2008;48:92–110. 32. Keith L. Kirkwood, Joni A. Cirelli, Jill E. Rogers and William V. Giannobile. Novel Host Response Therapeutic Approaches To Treat Periodontal Diseases: Periodontology 2000, 2007;43:294–315.
33. Salvi GE, Lang NP. Host response modulation in the management of periodontal diseases. J Clin Peridontol 2005; 32 (Suppl. 6): 108–129.
34. Takaishi Y, Miki T, Nishizawa Y, Morii H. Clinical effect of etidronate on alveolar pyorrhoea associated with chronic marginal periodontitis: report of four cases. J Int Med Res. 2001: Jul-Aug; 29(4):355-65.
35. Zang C, Zhai J, Meng Y, Liang X. Developments in research of local bisphosphonate delivery system of implant denture. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2011: Apr; 28(2):415-8. [Article in Chinese]
36. BasmaMostafa, Ebtehalhamdy, NermineNassif. Combined effect of systemic Bisphosphonates, calcium and vitamin D on alveolar bone in osteoporotic post menopausal females having chronic periodontitis following surgical periodontal therapy. Life science journal 2012;9(3):613-622.
37. Bastian Peter, Olivier Gauthier, Samia La?¨b, Bruno Bujoli, Je´roˆme Guicheux, Pascal Janvier, G. Harry van Lenthe, Ralph Mu¨ ller, Pierre-Yves Zambelli, Jean-Michel Bouler, Dominique P. Pioletti. Local delivery of bisphosphonate from coated orthopedic implants increases implants mechanical stability in osteoporotic rats: J Biomed Mater Res 76A: 133–143, 2006.
38. Ying Gao, Shujuan Zou, Xiaoguang Liu, Chongyun Bao, Jing Hua, The effect of surface immobilized bisphosphonates on the fixation of hydroxyapatite-coated titanium implants in ovariectomized rats: Biomaterials 30 (2009) 1790–1796 [Chinese].
39. Abtahi J, Tengvall P, Aspenberg P. Bisphosphonate coating might improve fixation of dental implants in the maxilla: a pilot study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Jul; 39(7):673- 7.
40. Abtahi J, Tengvall P, Aspenberg P. A bisphosphonate-coating improves the fixation of metal implants in human bone. A randomized trial of dental implants. Bone. 2012 May; 50(5):1148-51.
41. M. Yoshinaria, Y. Odaa, T. Inoueb, K. Matsuzakab, M. Shimono. Bone response to calcium phosphate-coated and bisphosphonate immobilized titanium implants: Biomaterials 23 (2002) 2879–2885.
42. Lane N, Armitage GC, Loomer P, Hsieh S, Majumdar S, Wang HY, Jeffcoat M, Munoz T. Bisphosphonate therapy improves the outcome of conventional periodontal treatment: results of a 12-month, randomized, placebo-controlled study. J Periodontol. 2005 Jul; 76(7):1113-22.
43. Rocha M, Nava LE, Vázquez de la Torre C, Sánchez-Márin F, Garay-Sevilla ME, Malacara JM. Clinical and radiological improvement of periodontal disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with alendronate: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Periodontol. 2001 Feb;72(2):204- 9.
44. Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Assael LA, Landesberg R, Marx RE, Mehrotra B. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Position Paper on Bisphosphonate Related Osteonecrosis Of The Jaws. Update: 2009; 67:2-12. Task Force On Bisphosphonate Related Osteonecrosis Of The Jaws.
45. Gareth Brock, Kate Barker, Christopher J Butterworth, Simon Rogers. Practical considerations for treatment of patients taking bisphosphonates medications: An Update. Dent Update 2011;38:313-326.
46. W.Park.N, K.Kim.M, Y.Kim.Y, M.Rhee, H.J.Kim . Osteonecrosis of the jaw induced by oral administration of bisphosphonates in Asian population-5 cases. Osteoporos Int 2010;21:527-533.
47. Hong JW, Nam W, Cha IH, Chung SW, Choi HS, Kim KM, Kim KJ, Rhee Y, Lim SK. Oral bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: the first report in Asia. Osteoporos Int. 2010 May; 21(5):847-53.
48. Kwon TG, Lee CO, Park JW, Choi SY, Rijal G, Shin HI. Os-teonecrosis associated with dental implants in patients undergoing bisphosphonate treatment. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012 Dec 26. doi: 10.1111/clr.12088. [Epub ahead of print].
49. Yamazaki T, Yamori M, Ishizaki T, Asai K, Goto K, Takahashi K, Nakayama T, Bessho K. Increased incidence of osteonecrosis of the jaw after tooth extraction in patients treated with bisphosphonates: a cohort study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Nov; 41(11):1397-403. doi: 10.1016/j. ijom.2012.06.020. Epub 2012 Jul 26.
50. Assaf AT, Smeets R, Riecke B, Weise E, Gröbe A, Blessmann M, Steiner T, Wikner J, Friedrich RE, Heiland M, Hoelzle F, Gerhards F. Incidence of bisphosphonaterelated osteonecrosis of the jaw in consideration of primary diseases and concomitant therapies. Anticancer Res. 2013 Sep;33(9):3917-24.
51. Ulmner M, Jarnbring F, Törring O. Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Sweden Associated With the Oral Use of Bisphosphonate. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013 Aug 28.
52. Braun E, Iacono VJ. Bisphosphonates: case report of nonsurgical periodontal therapy and osteochemonecrosis. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2006 Aug;26(4):315-9.
53. Bedogni A, Bettini G, Totola A, Saia G, Nocini PF. Oral bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw after implant surgery: a case report and literature review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Jul; 68(7):1662-6.
54. Hom-Lay Wang, Daniel Weber, Laurie K. McCauley. Effect of Long-Term Oral Bisphosphonates on Implant Wound Healing: Literature Review and a Case Report; Journal of Periodontology, March 2007, Vol. 78, No. 3, Pages 584-594.
55. Bauss F, Pfister T, Papapoulos S. Ibandronate uptake in the jaw is similar to long bones and vertebrae in the rat. J Bone Miner Metab 2008;26;406-408.
56. Regina Landesberg, Matthew Cozin, Serge Cremers, Victoria Woo, Stavroula Kousteni, Satrajit sinha, LeeAn Garrett Sinha, Srikala Raghavan. Inhibition of Oral mucosal cell wound healing by bisphosphonates. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008; 66:839-847.
57. Kim RH, Lee RS, Williams D, Bae S, Woo J, Lieberman M, Oh JE, Dong Q, Shin KH, Kang MK, Park NH. Bisphosphonates induce senescence in normal human oral keratinocytes. . J Dent Res. 2011 Jun;90(6):810-6.
58. Yazdana Arrail, Tahir Masud. A current update on osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonates. Dent Update 2011;38:672-678.
59. Cesar A. Migliorati, Jeffrey Casiglia, Joel Epstein, Peter L Jacobsen, Sook-Bin Woo. Managing the care of patients with bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis. An American Academy of Oral Medicine Position Paper. JADA 2005; Vol 136: 1658-1668.
60. Robin A Seymour, Graham Walton. Effects of Malignant disease and treatments on oral structures. Dent Update 2009;36:594-603.
61. Ho YF, Lin JT, Wu CY. Oral bisphosphonates and risk of esophageal cancer: a dose-intensity analysis in a nationwide population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Jun;21(6):993-5.
62. Yazdana Arrain, TahirMasud. A recent recommendation on bisphosphonate – associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: Dent Update 2008;35:238-242.
63. Joan otomo-corgel. Osteoporosis and osteopenia: implications for periodontal and implant therapy: Periodontology 2000, Vol. 59, 2012, 111–139.
64. Susan M. What is the optimal duration of bisphosphonate therapy? Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 2011; 78(9): 619-630.
65. Salvatore Ruggiero, Julie Gralow, Robert E Marx, Mark M Schubert, Joseph M Huryn, Bela Toth, Kathryn Damato, Vicente Valero. Practical guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteonecrosis of the jaw in Patients with cancer. Journal of Oncology Practice 2006 vol 2, issue 1: 7 – 14.
66. Yoh Sawatari, Robert E Marx. Bisphosphonates and Bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis. Oral Maxillofacial Surg Clin N Am 2007;19:487-498.
67. Marjorie K Jeffcoat Safety of oral bisphosphonates: controlled studies on alveolar bone Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant 2006;21:349-353.
68. Bertram G. Katzung, Susan B Masters, Antony J Trevor. Basic and Clinical pharmacology 11th edition Tata McGrawHill publication; 2010: Chapter 42 agents that affect bone mineral homeostasis: Daniel D Bikle, 753-772.
69. Stopeck AT, Lipton A, Brody JJ. Denosumab compared with Zolendronic acid for the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced breast cancer: A randomized double blind study. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:5132-5139.
70. Pongthorn Narongroeknawin, Maria I. Danila, Lewis G. Humphreys Jr, Andrei Barasch, Jeffrey R.Curtis bisphosphonates associated osteonecrosis of the jaw with healing after teriparatide a review of the literature and a case report . Spec care dentist 2010;30(2):77-82.
71. Pasion EG, Sivananthan SK, Kung AW, Chen SH, Chen YJ, Mirasol R, Tay BK, Shah GA, Khan MA, Tam F, Hall BJ, Thiebaud DComparison of raloxifene and bisphosphonates based on adherence and treatment satisfaction in postmenopausal Asian women. J Bone Miner Metab. 2007; 25(2):105-13.