IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 18, September, 2014
AN ANATOMICAL STUDY ON LOCATION OF MAXILLARY SINUS OSTIUM AND IT' S SURGICAL IMPORTANCE
Author: Jyothi N. Nayak, Varalakshmi K. L., Sangeetha M., Shilpa Naik
Background: A clear knowledge of exact location of maxillary sinus openings is essential for the endoscopic sinus surgeons as it is related to important structures like orbital floor, ethmoidal infundibulum and the nasolacrimal duct. Aim: The principle maxillary ostium is opened in the hiatus semilunaris which is located on the upper part of medial wall of maxillary inus. Materials and Methods: This study was carried in 52 sagitally cut head and neck specimens from the Department of anatomy,
MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital. RESULT: In the present study, maxillary sinus ostium was more commonly opened in to the posterior third of the hiatus semilunaris in 33(63.46%) specimens, middle third of hiatus semilunaris in 13(25%) specimens, anterior third in 5(9.61%) and absent in 1 (1.9%)specimens. Accessory maxillary ostium was found in 6(18.75%) specimens, which opened into the membranous meatus inferior to the uncinate process. Conclusion: This study will be helpful for surgeons to prevent the complications while performing endoscopic sinus surgery.
Keywords: Accessory maxillary ostium, Ethmoidal infundibulum, Hiatus semilunaris, Nasolacrimal duct, Principal maxillary ostium
Jyothi N. Nayak, Varalakshmi K. L., Sangeetha M., Shilpa Naik. AN ANATOMICAL STUDY ON LOCATION OF MAXILLARY SINUS OSTIUM AND IT' S SURGICAL IMPORTANCE International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 18, September, 07-09
1. Kumar H, Choudhry R, Kakar S. Acessory maxillary ostia: Topography and clinical application. Journal of Anatomical Society India .2001; 50(1):3-5.
2. Manju D. Singhal and Deepak Singhal. Maxillary Sinus Ostium – Morphology and it’s Clinical Relevance.2013; 2 (3): pp. 26-29.
3. Hollinshed WH, Rosse C. Text book of Anatomy, 4th edition. Herper and Row, Philadelphia.1985; pp 976-985.
4. L C Prasanna and H Mamatha .The Location of Maxillary Sinus Ostium and Its clinical Application. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery.2010; 62(4):335- 337.
5. Moore K L and Persaud TVN. The Developing Human. Saunders Elsevier; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.2003; 227- 228.
6. Van Alyea OE. The ostium maxillare. Anatomic study of its surgical accessibility. Arch Otolaryngology.1936; 24:553- 569.
7. Myerson The natural orifice of maxillary sinus, anatomical studies, Archives of Otolaryngology.1932; 5 80-91.
8. Manju D Singhal and Deepak Singhal. Anatomy of Accessory Maxillary Sinus Ostium with Clinical Application International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health.2013; Vol 3, 327-329.
9. MayM, Scbol SM, Korzee J .Location of maxillary ostium and its importance to the endoscopic sinus surgeons.Laryngoscope.1990; 100, 1037-42.
10. Levine HL, Mark M, Rontal M, Rontal E. Complex anatomy of lateral nasal wall simplified for endoscopic surgeon Endoscopic sinus surgery. Thieme medical Publishers, New York.1993; pp 1-28.