IJCRR - 6(19), October, 2014
ESTIMATION OF SERUM LIPOPROTEIN (A), LIPID PROFILE AND HBA1C IN PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS - A CASE CONTROL STUDY
Author: Sunita Pujar, Kavitha Hiremath, L.L. Pujar, Shankar Prasad, Mahanthesh Bhuthal
Objective: Diabetes is a major worldwide health problem, leading to markedly increased mortality and serious morbidity. It is characterised by chronic hyperglycemia resulting from a diversity of aetiologies and environmental and genetic factors acting together. Type 2 diabetes mellitus itself leads to dyslipidemia like elevated triglyceride levels and low HDL levels, which are known risk factors for coronary artery disease (CAD). Increased lipoprotein (a)[Lp(a)] concentrations are predictive of CAD. The study was designed to estimate serum lipoprotein (a) and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in south Indian patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and compare them with healthy controls. Material and Methods: The study included 50 patients of type 2 diabete mellitus and 50 age and sex matched controls. Fasting venous blood sample was analysed for fasting blood glucose(FBS), glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c), lipid profile and serum Lp(a). Statistical analysis was done using student t test. Results: The serum Lp(a) and HbA1c levels were significantly elevated in type 2 diabetics compared to healthy controls (p<0.001). There was significant elevation in the levels of FBG ,total cholesterol, total triglyceride, LDL cholesterol and TC/HDLcholesterol ratio in type2 diabetics compared to the control group(p<0.05). Conclusion: Diabetic patients have higher levels of serum Lp(a) and HbA1c compared to healthy controls. Serum Lp(a) associated with lipid abnormalities - high total cholesterol, high triglyceride ,high LDL and low HDL makes diabetics prone for CAD.
Keywords: Type 2 diabetes mellitus, Glycated hemoglobin, Lipid profile, Lipoprotein a
Sunita Pujar, Kavitha Hiremath, L.L. Pujar, Shankar Prasad, Mahanthesh Bhuthal. ESTIMATION OF SERUM LIPOPROTEIN (A), LIPID PROFILE AND HBA1C IN PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS - A CASE CONTROL STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(19), October, 54-58
1. Ogbera AO:Burden of diabetes mellitus in Nigeria.Trop Doct 2007;37(3):153-154.
2. Smith S and Lall AM. A Study on Lipid Profile levels of Diabetics and Non-Diabetics among Naina Region of Allahaba d,India.2008;33(4):138-141.
3. AlbertiKG,Eckel RH,Grundy SM,Zimmet,Paul Z,Cleeman,James I.Donato karen harmonizing the metabolic syndrome.Ajoint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on epidemiology and prevention ;National Heart,Lung and Blood Institute;American Heart Association ;World Heart Federation ;International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the study of Obesity.Circulation 2009;120:1640-45
4. Chattanda SP and Mgonda YM. Diadetic dyslipidemia among diabetic patients attending specialised clinics in Darer Salaam.Tanzania Med.J 2008;23(1):08-11.
5. Romics L,Karadi I,Csaszar A,Kostner G.Physiological and Clinical Importtance of Lipoprotein(a).J Exp Clin Med 1990;15:149-154.
6. Marshall SM,Barth JH.Standardisation of HbA1c measurements -a consensus statement.Diabet Med 2000;17:-6.
7. Naomi BM, Craig SW,Grad D,Noemie T,Cunningham CW,Hornell J,Pearce N, Jeffreys M. A New Zealand Linkage Study Examining the Association Between A1c Concentration and Mortality.2008;31(6):1144-49.
8. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical Care in Diabetes. Diabetes Care.2007; 30:4-41.
9. Gitanjali G,Sudeep G,Neerja ,Mili G,Deepak A,Priyanka S. The effect of hyperglycemia on some biochemical parameters in diabetes millitus.2019;4(5):3181-3186.
10. Hanssen KF,Bangstad HJ,Brinchmann-Hansen O et al. Blood glucose control and diabetic microvascular complications:Long -term effects of near-normoglycemia. Diabet Med .1992;9:697-705.
11. Fox CS,Coady S,Sorlie PD et al. Increasing cardiovascular disease burden due to diabetes mellitus:The Framingham Heart Study. Circulation .2007;115:1544-1550
12. International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1c assay in the diagnosis of Diabetes. Diabetes care .2009;32:1327-1334
13. Alam SM, Ali S, Khalil M, Deb K, Ahmed A, Akhter K. Serum lipid profile in hypertensive and normotensive type 2 DM patients- a comparative study. Mymensingh Med J.2003;12(1):13-6.
14. Gambir JK,Kaur H,Gambir DS,Prabhu KM.Lipoprotein (a) as an independent risk factor for coronary artery disease in patients below 40 years of age. Indian Heart J . 2000;52:411-15.
15. Solfirizzi V, Panza F, Colacicco AM, Capurso C, DIntrono A, Torres F,et al. Relation of lipoprotein(a) as coronary risk factor to type 2 DM and low density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients ≥65 years of age.Am J Cardiol 2002;89:825-9.
16. Edelberg JM, Gonzalez-gronow M, Pizzo SV.Lipoprotein(a) inhibition of plasminogen activation by tissue-type plasminogen activator. Thromb Res 1990;57:155-62.
17. Karadi I, Kostner GM, Gries A, Nimpf j, Romics L, Malle E. Lipoprotein(a) and plasminogen are immunochemically related. Biochem Biophys Acta 1988;960:91-7.
18. Miles LA, Fless GM, Levin EG, Scanu AM, Plow EF. A potential basis for the thrombotic risks associated with lipoprotein(a). Nature 1989;339:301-3.
19. Kluft C, Jie AFH, Los P, de Wit E, Havekes L. Functional analogy between lipoprotein(a) and plasminogen in the binding to the kringle 4 binding protein,tetranectin. Biochem Biophys Res commun 1989;161:427-33.
20. Wollesen F, Dahlen G, Berglund L,Berne C. Peripheral atherosclerosis and serum lipoprotein(a) in diabetes. Diabetes Care1999;22:93-8.
21. Unluhizacri K, Muhtaraglu S, Kabak S,Bayram F, Kelestimur F. Serum lipoprotien(a) levels in diabetic foot lesions. Diab Res and Clin Pract 2006;71:119-23.
22. Singla S, Kaur K, Kaur G, Kaur H, Kaur J, Jaswal S. Lipoprotein(a) in type 2 diabetes mellitus: Relation to LDL:HDL ratio and glycemic control. Int J Diab Dev Ctries. Apr-June 2009;29(2):80-4.
23. Heller FR, Jamart J, Honare P. Serum lipoprotein(a) in patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1993;16:819- 23.
24. Uterman G,Mazel HJ,Kraft HG,Duba HC,Kemmeler HG,Seitz C.Lp(a) glycoprotein phenotypes inheritance and relation to Lp(a) concentrations in plasma.J Clin Invest 1987;80:458-65.
25. Habib SS. Serum lipoprotein (a) and high sensitivity C reactive protein levels in Saudi patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and their relationship with glycemic control. Turkish Journal Of Medical Sciences.2013;43:33.