IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 19, October, 2014
COEXISTENCE OF NON-HODGKIN LYMPHOMA AND EXTRAMEDULLARY HAEMATOPOIESIS IN
A LYMPH NODE: A UNIQUE CASE DIAGNOSED BY FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY
Author: Arindam Karmakar, Tanushree Ghosal, Gopinath Barui, Ranjana Bandyopadhyay, Subhalakshmi Mukhopadhyay
Aim: Non-Hepatosplenic extramedullary haematopoiesis is an uncommon finding and Extramedullary haematopoiesis (EMH) in lymph nodes is further rarity. This effort aims at highlighting an extremely rare coexistence of the two in the same lymph node. Case report: We report an old man with co-existent Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and EMH in the same lymph node diagnosed by FNAC. Discussion: It is rare to find extramedullary haematopoiesis in enlarged lymph nodes subjected to FNAC. To the best of our knowledge no case of co-existent Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and EMH has been reported previously. Conclusion: This case emphasizes the possibility of Extramedullary haematopoiesis (EMH) in an enlarged lymph node with or without other pathological processes. It also underscores the significance of proper correlation of information for the diagnosis of the ailment which in this case could be done with very simple investigation protocol.
Keywords: Coexistence, Extramedullary hematopoiesis, Lymph node, Non-hodgkin lymphoma
Arindam Karmakar, Tanushree Ghosal, Gopinath Barui, Ranjana Bandyopadhyay, Subhalakshmi Mukhopadhyay. COEXISTENCE OF NON-HODGKIN LYMPHOMA AND EXTRAMEDULLARY HAEMATOPOIESIS IN
A LYMPH NODE: A UNIQUE CASE DIAGNOSED BY FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 19, October, 21-23
1. Singhal N, Tahlan A, Bansal C, Handa U, D’Cruz S. Coexistence of leukemic infiltration and extramedullary hemato-poeisis in a lymph node: A cytological diagnosis. J Cytol. 2011 Jul-Sep; 28(3):138-140.
2. Policarpio-Nicolas M, Bregman S, Ihsan M, Atkins K. Massforming extramedullary hematopoiesis diagnosed by fineneedle aspiration cytology. Diagn Cytopathol. 2006 December; 34(12):807-11.
3. Jan Y, Chen J, Chang M, Ho W. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of retroperitoneal extramedullary hematopoiesis: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 1998 October; 14(10): 659-63.
4. Koch CA, Li CY, Mesa RA, Tefferi A. Nonhepatosplenic Extramedullary Hematopoiesis: Associated Diseases, Pathology, Clinical Course, and Treatment. Mayo Clin Proc. 2003; 78:1223-33.
5. Ahuja S, Grover G, Jha A, Sodhi K, Bansal D, Dey P. Extramedullary hematopoiesis presented as solitary renal mass: a case report with review of literature. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 June; 39(6):435-7.