IJCRR - 6(20), October, 2014
BILATERAL RENAL ARTERY VARIATIONS - EMBRYOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE AND CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS
Author: Sujatha Manupati, Subhadra Devi Velichety, LalithaKumari M.K., Sofia Peddity
Background: With increased incidence of kidney transplantation and related surgical procedures anatomical knowledge of renal artery variations is gaining importance. Normally a single renal artery supplies each kidney. Accessory renal vessels are the commonly seen renovascular variations. Materials and Methods: During routine dissection for 1st year undergraduate medical students in the Department of Anatomy S.V.Medical College, Tirupati, renal artery variations were observed in 24 formalin fixed cadavers (16 male & 8 female).The renal artery variations were identified and photographs were taken. Results: In the present study renal artery variations were observed in 03 cadavers (12.5%). Bilateral accessory renal vessels were observed in two cadavers (8.4%) and bilateral single renal artery with pre-hilar branching and double ureter is seen in one cadaver (4.1%). Conclusion: knowledge on renal artery variations are necessary during renal transplantations, urological procedures and for angiographic interventions.
Keywords: Renal transplantation, Bilateral variations, Embryological significance.
Sujatha Manupati, Subhadra Devi Velichety, LalithaKumari M.K., Sofia Peddity. BILATERAL RENAL ARTERY VARIATIONS - EMBRYOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE AND CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(20), October, 66-69
1. Standring S, Gray’s Anatomy, Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th Ed., Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone. 2009; 1086-1089.
2. Graves FT. The aberrant renal artery. J. Anat 1956; 90:553- 58.
3. Satyapal KS, Haffejee AA, Singh B, Ramsaroop L et al. Ad- Satyapal KS, Haffejee AA, Singh B, Ramsaroop L et al. Additional renal arteries; incidence and morphometry. Surg Radio / Anat.2001; 23: 33-48.
4. Keith L Moore and Persaud TVN. The developing human. Saunders, an Imprint of Elsevier. 7th ed.293.
5. Hamilton WJ, Mossman HW. In Human Embryology; 4thed: McMillan Press, New York 1979; 392.
6. Surgical and Rad Anatomy, volume 26, number 6, pp.474- 479(6),December 2004.
7. Rao M, Bhat SM, Venkataramana V, Deepthinath R et al. Bi- Rao M, Bhat SM, Venkataramana V, Deepthinath R et al. Bilateral Prehilar Multiple branching of renal arteries. Kathmandu University Medical Journal. 2006; 4(3)15:345-48.
8. Nayak BS. Multiple Variations of the right renal vessels. Singapore Med J 2008; 49(6):e153.
9. Sylvia, SridharVarmaKakarlapudi,VenkataRamnaVollala,Bh agathkumar Potu et al. Cases Journal; 2009,2:114.
10. Dhar P, Lal K. Main and accessory reanl arteries A Morpho- Dhar P, Lal K. Main and accessory reanl arteries A Morphological study: Ital J Anat Embryo.2005; 110:102-110.
11. Hussein Muktyaz, HaqueMahboobul, Usman Nema, Has- Hussein Muktyaz, HaqueMahboobul, Usman Nema, Hassan Khalid et al. Bilateral Variation of Renal artery and Its Clinical Significance in North Indian Population. Innovative Journal of medical and health seience 3: 3may –june. (2013) 121-123.
12. Anson BJ, Kruth LE. Common variations in the renal blood supply. SurgGynecol Obstet.1955; 100:157-62.
13. HemmanthKommuru, Sreelekha D, Jothi S.S., RajeswaraRoaN,Sujatha N. Presence of Renal Artery Variation And Its Surgical Correlation. International Journal of Clinical and Medical Research, 2012; 3(5):176-79.
14. S.Saritha, Naga Jyothi, M. Praveen Kumar, G.Supriya. Ca- S.Saritha, Naga Jyothi, M. Praveen Kumar, G.Supriya. Cadaveric study of accessory renal arteries and its clinical correlation. International journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2013; 1(1): 19-22.
15. Dr. Neelesh Kanaskar, Dr Vaishali Paranjape, Dr. Jyothi kulkarni, Sapna Shevade. Double accessory right renal arteries. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2012; 1(5):17-20.
16. Budhiraja.V., Rastogi R., Asthana A.K Folia Morphol (war- Budhiraja.V., Rastogi R., Asthana A.K Folia Morphol (warsz), 2011;70(1),24-28.
17. Krunal Chauhan, Shweta J. Patel, Rashvaita K Patel, Mehta C.D and Maunil Desai. Variant origin of renal arteries and its clinical implication. jounal of surgery 2013;.2(2);7-12.