IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 20, October, 2014
CONCEPT AND MANAGEMENT OF WAJAUL- MAFASIL (ARTHRITIS) IN GRECO ARABIC MEDICINE -AN OVERVIEW
Author: Mirza Ghufran Baig, Mohd. Aleemuddin Quamri, Javed Ali S, Shaikh Imtiyaz, Mohammad Sheeraz, Zaheer Ahmed
Arthritis is one of the commonest joint disorder affecting millions of people worldwide with an estimated 15% (40 million) of Americans had some form of arthritis in 1995 and by the year 2020, an estimated 59.4 million will be affected. In India it affects 15% (180 million) people. Ancient Unani scholars have elaborately described inflammation and pain of joints under the caption of Waja ul Mafasil and managed with multidimensional approach, in contrast with the present day management of disease mainly with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) which will be having large number of adverse effects. This review article highlight the salient features describing arthritis with reference to Waja ul Mafasil for empathizing disease condition as enunciated by Unani scholars to provide a better alternative in terms of cost effective managements and side effects.
Keywords: Waja ul Mafasil, Arthritis, Joints pain, Unani medicine
Mirza Ghufran Baig, Mohd. Aleemuddin Quamri, Javed Ali S, Shaikh Imtiyaz, Mohammad Sheeraz, Zaheer Ahmed. CONCEPT AND MANAGEMENT OF WAJAUL- MAFASIL (ARTHRITIS) IN GRECO ARABIC MEDICINE -AN OVERVIEW International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 20, October, 41-47
1. Ahmed K. Tarjuma Sharahe Asbabma’ahashiya Sharif Khan wa Mamoolate Matab. Vol.3. New Delhi: CCRUM, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India; 2010.p. 397- 414.
2. Ali Ibn Abbas Majoosi .Kamilus Sanah. Vol.1. (Urdu translation by Kantoori GH) New Delhi: Idara Kitabus Shifa; 2010.p. 543-46.
3. Nayab M. Clinical Study on Effect of Hijamat (Cupping Therapy) In the Management of Waja ul Mafasil. Dissertation: Bangalore: RGUHS; 2007. p.7-14
4. Nayab M, Anwar M, Quamri M A. Clinical study on Waja ul Mafasil and Evaluation of efficacy of Hijamat Bila Shurt in the treatment. Indian journal of Unani Medicine.2011. Oct; 10 (4): 697-701
5. Ismail Jurjani. Zakheera Khawarzam Shahi. (Urdu translation by Khan HH). Vol.2. Part. 6th. New Delhi: Idara Kitabus Shifa; 2010.p. 637-40.
6. Akbar Arzani. Tibe Akbar. (Urdu Translation by Mohammad Husain). Deoband: Faisal Publications; YNM.p. 617- 28.
7. Ibn Sina. Al Qanoon fit Tib (English translation and published by). Vol.1 & 2. New Delhi: Jamia Hamdard; 1995.p. 38-40, 168,169. 318,350,364
8. Ali M.Evaluation Of Efficacy Of Hulba( Trigonella foenum graecum Linn.) In Rhematoid Arthritis. Dissertation: Bangalore: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences; 2012.p.9,17-19
9. Abu Sehel Masihi. Kitab al Miat fit Tib. (Urdu translation by CCRUM). Vol.1. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India; 2008.p. 57-60.
10. Ibn Sina. Al Qanoon fit Tib. (Urdu translation by Kantoori GH). Vol.3. Part 2. New Delhi: Idara kitabus Shifa; YNM.p. 1119-21,1129.
11. Mohammad Azam Khan. Akseer Azam (Al Akseer). New Delhi: Idara kitabus Shifa; 2011.p. 832-852.
12. Ibn Hubal. Kitabul Mukhtarat fit Tib. (Urdu translation by CCRUM). Vol.2. Part 4. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India; 2007.p. 79-83
13. Zakariya Razi .Kitabul Mansoori, Urdu Translation by CCRUM, New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt. of India; 1991.p. 313,318
14. Abul Mamsoor ul Hassan Quamri. Ghana Mana Ma Tarjuma Minhajul Ilaj.New Dehli: CCRUM; 2008.p. 339,341
15. Sabit bin Qurrah. Tarjumae Zakheera Sabit Qurrah (Urdu translation by Syed Ayub Ali). AMU: Litho Colour Printers Aligarh; 1987.p. 313-332.
16. Rabban Tabri. Firdousul Hikmat. New Dehli: Idarae Kitabus shifa; 2010.p.191-192
17. Zakariya Razi. Al Hawi fit Tib. (Urdu Translation by CCRUM) Vol.X1. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India; 2004. p. 75-79, 89.
18. O.C. Grunner. The Canon of Medicine of Avicenna. London: First Book, Luzac & Co., 1930. p.353, 513–514.
19. Mohammad Kabiruddin. Al-Quarabadeen. 3rd Ed.New Dehli: CCRUM; 2006.p. 183-186,466-468,1210-1215
20. Mohammad Kabiruddin. Bayaze Kabeer. New Dehli: Idarae Kitabus shifa; 2010.p. 30, 37, 50, 57, 88, 94, 176, 177, 179, 80, 89-93.
21. Qarabadeene Majidi. New Delhi: All India Tibbi Conference Ajanta offset & publication; 1996.p. 68, 69,85, 92, 149,155-158, 164-165, 346, 276, 378.
22. National Formulary of Unani Medicine. Part- III, 1sted. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt of India; 2001.p. 15
23. Mohammed Said. Hamdard Pharmacopoeia of Eastern Medicine. 2nded (Reprint) Delhi: Sri Satguru Publications; 1997. p.150
24. Burhan Uuddin Nafees. kulliyate Nafeesi, Part-II. Translated by Hkm. Kabeer Uddin, New Dehli: Idarae Kitabusshifa; YNM. p. 622-626
25. Shaikh Ejaz. Study 0f Efficacy of Dalak (Massage) in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis (with and without Roghan-eSurkh) Indian journal of Unani Medicine. 2011. 6 (2): 33- 40
26. Ibn Sina. Kulliyate Qanoon. Urdu Translated by Mohammad Kabeer Uddin. New Dehli: Ejaz Publishing house; 2006.p.347-349
27. Ibn Rushd. Kitabal Kulliyat (Urdu Translation by CCRUM). 2nded. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India; 1987.p.346 .
28. Nighat A, Shakir J, Abdul H, Jamal A, Bilal A. Clinical efficacy of Hijamat (Cupping) in Waja ul Mafasil Muzmin (arthriris). Indian journal of Traditional Knowledge. 2005. 4 (4): 412-415
29. Akbar Arzani. Meezanut Tib. Dehli: Daftarululoom; 1940. p.147-148
30. Ibn ul Qaf Masihi. Kitab Umda fil Jarahat. Hyderabad: Doeratul moarif usmaniya university;1935.p.15-35
31. Nayab M, Ansari M A, Anwar M, Yaseen A, Effect of Hijamat Bila Shart in the Management of Waja uz Zohar - A Clinical Study. Hippocratic journal of Unani Medicine. 2011.vol.6 : 79-86
32. Zarnigar, Riyaz A. Clinical efficacy of Al Hijama (Cupping) in Waja ul Mafasil Muzmin (Osteo arthriris). Indian journal of Traditional Knowledge.2011. 10 (2):327-329
33. Akhtar J, Siddiqui MK. Utility of Cupping Therapy Hijamat in Unani medicine Indian journal of Traditional Knowledge.2008 .7 (4): 572-74.
34. Zaidi SMA, Jamil SS, Sultana A, ZamanF, Fuzail M. “Safety and efficacy of leech therapy for Symptomatic knee osteoarthritis using Indian medicinal leech.” Indian journal of Traditional Knowledge. 2009. 8 (3):437-442.