IJCRR - 6(21), November, 2014
INDICATIONS FOR DENTAL IMPLANT TREATMENT- A CLINICIAN'S POINT OF VIEW
Author: Rajesh Prem, B. L. Guruprasanna Acharya, Jacob Mathews, Ambadas, Prashant Jagtap, Bhavika Bhavsar
A dental implant is a surgical component that interfaces with the bone of the jaw or skull to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge, denture, facial prosthesis or to act as an orthodontic anchor. The basis for modern dental implants is a biologic process called osseointegration where materials, such as titanium, form an intimate bond to bone. The present article highlights on the major indications of dental implants from a clinician point of view to clear the major doubts before going for a dental implant treatment.
Keywords: Dental implant, Dental prosthesis, Osseointegration
Rajesh Prem, B. L. Guruprasanna Acharya, Jacob Mathews, Ambadas, Prashant Jagtap, Bhavika Bhavsar. INDICATIONS FOR DENTAL IMPLANT TREATMENT- A CLINICIAN'S POINT OF VIEW International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(21), November, 34-38
1. Francis J. Hughes, Kevin G. Seymour, Wendy Turner, Shakeel Shahdad, Francis Nohl Clinical Problem Solving in Periodontology and Implantology, Series First Edition Churchill livingstone ELSEVIER 2013.
2. Michael G. Newman, Henry H. Takei, Perry R. Klokkevold, Fermin A. Carranza, Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology 11th Edition 2012, Elsevier.
3. Johns RB, Jemt T, Heath MR, Hutton JE, McKenna S, McNamara DC, et al. A multicenter study of overdentures supported by Branemark implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1992; 7:513-22.
4. Theisen FC, Shultz RE, Elledge DA. Displacement of a root form implant into the mandibular canal. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1990; 70: 24-8.
5. Schmitt A, Zarb GA. The longitudinal clinical effectiveness of osseointegrated dental implants for single-tooth replacement. Int J Prosthodont 1993; 6:197-202.
6. Jemt T, Linden B, Lekholm U. Failure and complications in 127 consecutively placed fixed partial prostheses supported by Branemark implants: from prosthetic treatment to first annual checkup. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1992; 7:40-4.
7. Granstrom G, Tjellstrom A, Brånemark PI, Fornander J. Bone-anchored reconstruction of the irradiated head and neck cancer patient. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1993; 108:334-43.
8. Boerrigter EM, van Oort RP, Raghoebar GM, Stegenga B, Schoen PJ, Boering G. A controlled clinical trial of implantretained mandibular overdentures: clinical aspects. J Oral Rehabil 1997; 24:182-90.
9. Eckert SE, Meraw SJ, Cal E, Ow RK. Analysis of incidence and associated factors with fractured implants: a retrospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2000; 15:662-7.