IJCRR - Vol 06 Issue 21, November, 2014
A CASE OF HIGH GRADE MUCOEPIDERMOID CARCINOMA OF MAXILLARY SINUS
Author: Bindu Channabasappa, Satish Kumaran, Anuradha Navaneetham, Vijay Jain, Lalitha Thambaiah
Salivary gland carcinomas are rare and clinically diverse group of neoplasm among which mucoepidermoid carcinoma comprises approximately 10-15% of all salivary gland neoplasm. These malignancies are diagnosed generally at a later date during the course of the disease as they are mostly asymptomatic in nature and become symptomatic in the later stages of the disease process. We report a case of high grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the maxillary sinus in a 78 year old male patient in which the tumour perforated the skin on the medial aspect of the infraorbital region before the patient underwent surgery.
Keywords: Salivary gland carcinomas, Nneoplasm, Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
Bindu Channabasappa, Satish Kumaran, Anuradha Navaneetham, Vijay Jain, Lalitha Thambaiah. A CASE OF HIGH GRADE MUCOEPIDERMOID CARCINOMA OF MAXILLARY SINUS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 06 Issue 21, November, 23-25
1. Alexander D Rapidis, Nikolaos Givalos, Harikila Gakiopoulou et al Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands. Review of Literature and clinicopathalogical analysis of 18 patients. Oral Oncology 43, 130-136, 2007.
2. Myers LL, Nussenbaum B, Bradford CR et al: paranasal sinus malignancies: An 18 year single Institution experience. Laryngoscope 112: 1964, 2002.
3. Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma and Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the maxillary sinus: Report of a 44-year experience of 25 cases from a Single Institution.
4. Dulguerov P, Jacobsen MS, Allal AS, et al: Nasal and paranasal carcinoma: Are we making a Progress? A series of 220 patients and a systematic review. Cancer 92: 3012, 2001.
5. Norlander T, Fordin JE, Selfverward.C et al: Decreasing incidence of malignant tumours of the Paranasal sinuses in Sweden. Analyses of 141 consecutive cases at Karolinrka Hospital from 1960-1980. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112; 236 2003.
6. Nishino H, Miyata M, Morita M, et al: Combined therapy with conservative surgery, Radiotherapy and regional chemotherapy for maxillary sinus carcinoma. Cancer 89: 1925, 2000
7. Bhattacharya N: Factors affecting survival in maxillary sinus Cancer. J Oral Maxillofac Surg61: 1016, 2003.
8. Rajendran R, Shivapathasundharam B. Tumours of the Salivary gland. 6th Ed . New Delhi: Elsevier India; 2000. Shafers Textbook of oral pathology; pp. 219-53.
9. Seifert G, Sobin LH. In International classification of tumours. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1991. Histological typing of salivary gland tumours.
10. Bhattacharya N. Survival and Staging characteristics of non squamous cell malignancies of the Maxillary Sinus. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 129: 334-7.