IJCRR - 6(23), December, 2014
FREQUENCY OF PLACENTA PREVIA IN MULTIGRAVIDA AT TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Author: Shahida Shaikh
Background: Placenta previa is a localization of placenta in the lower uterine segment, near or over the internal os. Multigravida is one of the risk factors of placenta previa. The aim of study is to look for current frequency of placenta previa in multigravida, so that further improvement in diagnosis and treatment modalities can be made in order to decrease the morbidity and mortality related to it in this group. Objective: To determine the frequency of various grades of placenta previa in multigravida at a tertiary care centerMethodology: This is a cross sectional study conducted from 28th December 2012 to 27th June 2013 at the department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Sheikh Zaid Women, Chandka Medical College Hospital, Larkana Sindh Pakistan. A total of 208 patients enrolled in the study with non -probability purposive sampling technique. All pregnant women with singleton pregnancy of 25-35 years of age in their second or more pregnancy with gestational age ? 34 weeks were included. Exclusion criteria observed for patients with multifetal pregnancy, previous history of cesarean section, dilatation and curettage, cervical cone biopsy, myomectomy or any pelvic surgery. All pregnant women had trans-abdominal ultrasound. The presence or absence of placenta previa was reported by an experienced sonologist. The data was analyzed using SPSS version 12. Results: Among the total recruited patients, mean age of these multigravidas was 30.1±5.6 years. The mean parity of our population was 4.02±1.2. The gestational age noted was 38±1.4 weeks as mean. Median Body mass index (BMI) of registered participants was 28.40±5.9. The frequency of placenta previa was 13 (6.3%) and type IV was the most common type.
Conclusion: It is concluded from this study that the frequency of placenta previa in patients of multigravida was 6.3% and apartfrom other risk factors, multigravidity is an independent risk factor for placenta previa.
Keywords: Placenta previa, Multigravida, Age, Body mass index
Shahida Shaikh. FREQUENCY OF PLACENTA PREVIA IN MULTIGRAVIDA AT TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(23), December, 44-48
1. Raheel R, Tabassum R, Bhutto A, Riaz H, Hanif R. Fetal outcome in the cases of placenta previa – A retrospective study. Medical Channel 2010; 16(2):256-59.
2. Khursheed F, Shaikh F, Das CM, Shaikh RB. Placenta previa: an analysis of risk factors. Medical Channel 2010; 16(3):417-9.
3. Tabassum R, Raheel R, Bhutto A, Riaz H, Hanif F. The risk factor associated with placenta previa in patients presented to civil hospital Karachi- a case report control study. Medical Channel 2010; 16(2):276-9.
4. Shoukat A, Zafar F, Asghar S, Nighat, Ayoub A, Ambreen N, et al. Frequency of placenta previa with previous Csection:[internet].2011.Available from: http:/pjmhsonline. com/frequency_of_placenta_previa_wit.htm.
5. Hung TH, Hsieh CC, Hsu JJ, Chiu TH, Lo LM, Hsieh TT. Risk factors for placenta previa in an Asian population. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2007; 97,26–30
6. Handler AS, Mason ED, Rosenberg DL, Davis FG. The relationship between exposure during pregnancy to cigarette smoking and cocaine use and placenta previa. Am J Obstet Gynecol1994; 170:884-9.
7. Oya A, Nakai A, Miyake H, Kawabata I, Takeshita T. Risk factors for peripartum blood transfusion in women with placenta previa: a retrospective analysis. J Nippon Med Sch. 2008; 75 (3):146-51.
8. Kean L. antepartum haemorrhage. In: Luesley DM, Baker PN.Editors Obstetrics and Gynecology. Evidence-based Text Book for MRCOG. London: Arnold Publishers; 2004: 302- 16.
9. Narti OB, Konje JC. Bleeding in late pregnancy. In: James DK Steer, Weiner CP, Gonik B, Crowther C, Robson SC, editors. High risk of pregnancy, management option. London; Elsevier. 2011:1037-52.
10. Malik AM, Siddique S, Shah IA. Placeta previa: a study to determine responsible factors. Professional Med J. 2007; 14 (3):407-10.
11. Nasreen F. Incidence causes an outcome of placenta previa. J Postgrad Med Inst. 2003; 17(1):99-104.
12. Oppenheimer L, Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Diagnosis and management of placenta previa. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2007; 29:261.
13. Obstetrics hemorrhage. In: Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Hauth JP, Rouse DJ, Spong Cy, editors. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd Ed. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies 2010: 757-803.
14. Ananth CV, Wilcox AJ, Savitz DA, Bowes WA Jr, Luther ER .Effect of maternal age and parity on the risk of uteroplacental bleeding disorders in pregnancy.ObstetGynecol 1996; 511-6.
15. Zhang J, Savitz DA. Maternal age and placenta previa: a population-based, case-control study. Am J ObstetGynecol 1993;168:641-5
16. Memon S, Kumari K, Yasmin H, Bhutta S. Is it possible to reduce rates of placenta previa. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association 2010; 60(7): 566-9.
17. Cleary-Goldman J, Malone FD, Vidaver J, Ball RH, Nyberg DA, Comstock CH, et al. Impact of Maternal Age on Obstetric Outcome. Obstet Gynecol 2005; 105:983-90.
18. Tosson, Madiha M, Tarek K. AL-Hussaini.The impact of maternal obesity on pregnancy outcome at Assiut University hospital. Ass. Univ. Bull. Environ Res 2005; 8(2) :1-11
19. Choden P, Bhutia,Lertbunnaphong T, Wongwananuruk T, Boriboonhirunsarn D. Prevalence of Pregnancy with Placenta Previa in Siriraj Hospital. Siriraj Med J 2011; 63(6):191-5.
20. Faiz AS, Ananth CV. Etiology and risk factors for placenta previa: an overview and meta-analysis of observational studies. J Maternal Fetal Neonatal Med 2003; 13:175.
21. Ojha N. Obstetric factors and pregnancy outcome in placenta previa. Journal of Institute of Medicine 2012; 34: 38-41.
22. Mgaya et al. Grand multiparity: is it still a risk in pregnancy? BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2013; 13:241.
23. Tuzoviæ L, Djelmiš J Ilijiæ M. Obstetric Risk Factors Associated with Placenta Previa Development: Case-Control Study Croat Med J 2003;44:728-733