IJCRR - 6(23), December, 2014
STUDY OF VARIATIONS OF COELIAC TRUNK IN WESTERN MAHARASHTRA POPULATION
Author: Sachin Phoolchand Yadav, Rashmi S. Sinha, Tushar Patil
Aim: Aim was to study the variations of coeliac trunk and its branches. Methodology: Fifty embalmed donated cadavers (24 male and 26 female) were dissected in Department of Anatomy. Variations in branching pattern of coeliac trunk were observed. Diameters of coeliac trunk and its branches left gastric, splenic and common hepatic arteries along with that of superior mesenteric artery were studied. Length of coeliac trunk from its origin to origin of its first branch and of its last branch were taken. Distance between origin of coeliac trunk and superior mesenteric artery was measured on abdominal aorta. Sex differences for all these parameters were also studied. Photographs were taken for proper documentation.
Results: Normal branching pattern of coeliac trunk was found in 88%. More than three branches arising from coeliac trunk were found in 8%. Incomplete coeliac trunk was found in 2% where common hepatic artery arose from superior mesenteric artery (hepatomesenteric trunk). 2% case showed absence of coeliac trunk. Mean diameter of coeliac trunk was 8.0 mm; left gastric artery 5.0 mm; splenic artery 6.9 mm; common hepatic artery 6.6 mm and superior mesenteric artery 8.3 mm. Mean length of coeliac trunk was 28.6 mm. Mean distance between coeliac trunk and superior mesenteric artery was 19.3 mm. Splenic artery diameter has shown statistically significant difference between male and female.
Conclusion: The knowledge of anatomy of coeliac trunk and its branches are of utmost importance for various surgical and radiological procedures to prevent any complications.
Keywords: Coeliac trunk, Left gastric artery, Splenic artery, Common hepatic artery, Superior mesenteric artery
Sachin Phoolchand Yadav, Rashmi S. Sinha, Tushar Patil. STUDY OF VARIATIONS OF COELIAC TRUNK IN WESTERN MAHARASHTRA POPULATION International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(23), December, 36-43
1. Hollinshead WH. Anatomy For Surgeons, volume 2. New York: A Hoeber – Harper Book; 1956.
2. Moore KL, Persaud TVN. The Developing Human – Clinically Oriented Embryology. 8th edition. Saunders Elsevier; 2011.
3. Douard R, Ettorre GM, Chevallier JM, Delmas V, Cugnenc PH, Belghiti J. Celiac trunk compression by arcuate ligament and living-related liver transplantation: a two-step strategy for flow-induced enlargement of donor hepatic artery. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy; 2002 December; 24(5): p. 327 – 331.
4. Nagino M, Hayakawa N, Kitagawa S, Dohke M, Nimura Y. Right anterior hepatic artery arising from the superior mesenteric artery: a case report. Hepato-Gastroenterology; 1993; 40(4): p. 407 – 409.
5. D’Souza AS, Vijayalakshmi, Hemalatha, Pugazhandhi, H Mamatha. Anatomical variations in the branches of the coeliac trunk. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012 May (Suppl-1), 6(3): p. 333 – 335.
6. Warwick R, Williams PL. Gray’s Anatomy. 35th edition. Edinburgh: Longman; 1973; p. 660 – 661.
7. Schoenwolf GC, Bleyl SB, Brauer PR, and Philippa H. Larsen’s Human Embryology. 4th edition. Francis-West: Churchill Livingston/ Elsevier. 2009; p. 408 – 410.
8. Romanes GJ. Cunningham’s Manual of Practical Anatomy. 15th edition. Oxford Medical Publications; 2004.
9. Rossi G, Cova E. Studio morfologico delle arterie dello stomaco. Arch Ital di Anat e di Embryol 1904; 3: p. 485 – 526.
10. Song SY, Chung JW, Yin YH, Jae HJ, Kim HC, Jeon UB, Cho BH, So YH, Park JH. Celiac axis and common hepatic artery variations in 5002 patients: systematic analysis with spiral CT and DSA. Radiology. 2010 April; 255(1): p. 278 – 288.
11. Prakash, Rajini T, Mokhasi V, Geethanjali BS, Sivacharan PV, Shashirekha M. Coeliac trunk and its branches: anatomical variations and clinical implications. Singapore Medical Journal. 2012 May; 53(5): p. 329 – 331.
12. Michels NA. Collateral arterial pathways to the liver after ligation of the hepatic artery and removal of the celiac axis. Cancer. 1953 July; 6(4): p. 708 – 724.
13. Michels NA. Variational anatomy of the hepatic, cystic, and retroduodenal arteries. American Medical Association Achieves of Surgery. 1953 January, 66(1): p. 20 – 34.
14. Mburu KS, Alexander OJ, Hassan S, Bernard N. Variations in the Branching Pattern of the Celiac Trunk in a Kenyan Population. International Journal of Morphology. 2010 March; 28(1): p. 199 – 204.
15. Petrella, S, Rodrigues CFS, Sgrott EA, Fernandez GJM, Marques SR, Prates JC. Origin of inferior phrenic arteries in the celiac trunk. International Journal of Morphology. 2006 June; 24(2): p. 275 – 278.
16. Rio Branco P. Essai sur l’anatomic et la medecine operatoire du trone coeliaque et de ses branches de l’artere hepatique en particulier G. Steinheil. Paris 1912, 828. 17. Venieratos D, Panagouli E, Lolis E, Tsaraklis A, Skandalakis P. A morphometric study of the celiac trunk and review of the literature. Clinical Anatomy. 2013 September; 26(6): p. 741 – 750.
18. Michels NA. The hepatic, cystic and retroduodenal arteries and their relations to the biliary ducts. Annals of Surgery. 1951 April; 133(4): p. 503 – 524.
19. Chitra R. Clinically relevant variations of the coeliac trunk. Singapore Medical Journal. 2010 February; 51(3): p. 216 – 219.
20. Ugurel MS, Battal B, Bozlar U et al. Anatomical variations of hepatic arterial system, coeliac trunk and renal arteries: an analysis with multidetector CT angiography. British Journal of Radiology. 2010 August; 83(992): p. 661 – 667.
21. Silveira LA, Silveira FBC, Fazan VPS. Arterial diameter of the celiac trunk and its branches: anatomical study. Acta Cirurgica Brasileira. 2009 January – February; 24(1): p. 43 – 47.
22. Malnar D, Klasan GS, Miletic D, Bajek S, Vranic TS, Arbanas J, Bobinac D, Coklo M. Properties of the celiac trunk— anatomical study. Collegium Antropologicum. 2010; 34(3): p. 917 – 921.
23. Salve VM. Coeliaco-mesenteric trunk: a rare case report. Journal of Morphological Science. 2012; 29(4): p. 262 – 264.
24. George R. Topography of the Unpaired visceral branches of abdominal aorta. Journal of Anatomy. 1935 January; 69(2): p. 196 – 205.
25. Pant P, Mukhia R, Haritha Kumari N, Mukherjee A. Variant Anatomy of the Coeliac Trunk and Its Branches. Global Research Analysis. 2013 June; 2(6): p. 179 – 180.