IJCRR - 6(24), December, 2014
NANOTECHNOLOGY - A NEW ERA IN MEDICINE AND DIAGNOSTICS
Author: Evarisalin Marbaniang, Donboklang
An era of new and constantly advancing techniques is revolutionizing our world in the present times. We are in a phase where technology is evolving at its best. In the field of medicine and particularly, in the diagnostic realm ,we have seen the developing molecular diagnostics e.g polymerase chain reaction (PCR), hybridization techniques (flourescent in situ hybridization,etc), array based comparative genomic hybridization, so on and so forth. We are again fortunate to witness the evolution of another technology termed as NANOTECHNOLOGY. It has a wide variety of applications in diagnostics, cancer treatment, drug delivery, and tissue engineering. It is a vast field of modern science where it can be applied in organic chemistry, nuclear reactors, robotics, space applications, telecommunications, satellites, heavy industry and even cosmetics. The list goes on, but a word of caution as we humans are always crossing boundaries and may be using the technology for ignoble causes. So it is up to us to turn nanotechnology into a blessing or a curse.
Keywords: Nanoparticles, Nanosensors, Magnetic nanoparticles
Evarisalin Marbaniang, Donboklang. NANOTECHNOLOGY - A NEW ERA IN MEDICINE AND DIAGNOSTICS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6(24), December, 07-10
1. Taniguchi N. On the basic concept of ‘nano-technology Proc. Intl. Conf. Prod. Eng. Tokyo, Part II, Japan Society of Precision Engineering 1974;10:5 -10.
2. Farokhzad OC, Langer R. Nanomedicine: Developing smarter therapeutic and diagnostic modalities. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2006;58:1456 -9.
3. Bangham AD, Standish MM, Watkins JC. Diffusion of univalent ions across the lamellae of swollen phospholipids. J Mol Biol 1965;13:238-52.
4. Silva GA. Introduction to nanotechnology and its applications to medicine. Surg Neurol 2004;61:216-20.
5. Jain KK. Nanotechnology in clinical laboratory diagnostics. Clin Chim Acta 2005;358:37-54 .
6. Demidov VV. Nanobiosensors and molecular diagnostics: A promising partnership. Exp Rev Mol Diagn 2004;4:267-8.
7. OV Salta. Applications of nanoparticles in biology and medicine. J Nanobiotech 2004;2:3.
8. Abraham A M, Kannangai R, Sridharan G. Nanotechnology: A new frontier in virus detection in clinical practice. Indian J Med Microbiol 2008;26:297-301
9. Neuzil P, Zhang C, Pipper J, Oh S, Zhuo L. Ultra fast miniaturized real-time PCR: 40 cycles in less than six minutes. Nucl Acids Res 2006;34:e77.
10. Tripp RA, Alvarez R, Anderson B, Jones L, Weeks C, Chen W. Bioconjugated nanoparticle detection of respiratory syncytial virus infection. Int J Nanomed 2007;2:117-24.
11. Tang S, Zhao J, Storhoff JJ, Norris PJ, Little RF, Yarchoan R, et al . Nanoparticle-Based biobarcode amplification assay (BCA) for sensitive and early detection of human immunodeficiency type 1 capsid (p24) antigen. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2007;46:231-7.
12. Wang YF, Pang DW, Zhang ZL, Zheng HZ, Cao JP, Shen JT. Visual gene diagnosis of HBV and HCV based on nanoparticle probe amplification and silver staining enhancement. J Med Virol 2003;70:205-11.
13. Wan Z, Wang Y, Li SS, Duan L, Zhai J. Development of array-based technology for detection of HAV using Gold-DNA probes. J Biochem Mole Biol 2005;38:399-406.
14. Liu HH, Cao X, Yang Y, Liu MG, Wang YF. Array-based nanoamplification technique was applied in detection of hepatitis E virus. J Biochem Mol Biol 2006;39:247-52.
15. Chan CP, Tzang LC, Sin K, Ji S, Cheung K, Tam T, et al . Biofunctional organic nanocrystals for quantitative detection of pathogen deoxyribonucleic acid. Anal Chim Acta 2007;584:7-11.
16. Colquhoun DR, Schwab KJ, Cole RN, Halden RU. Detection of norovirus capsid protein in authentic standards and in stool extracts by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization and nanospray mass spectrometry. Appl Environ Microbiol 2006;72:2749-55.
17. Jones. Nanoprobes for medical diagnosis: Current status of nanotechnology in molecular imaging. Curr Nanosci 2008;4:17-29.
18. Cheon J, Lee JH. Synergistically integrated nanoparticles as multimodal probes for nanobiotechnology. Acc Chem Res 2008;41:1630-40.
19. Nahrendorf M, Zhang H, Hembrador S, Panizzi P, Sosnovik DE, Aikawa E, et al. Nanoparticle PET-CT imaging of macrophages in inflammatory atherosclerosis. Circulation 2008;117:379-87.
20. Ramachandran R, Shanmughavel P. Preparation and characterization of biopolymeric nanoparticles used in drug delivery. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2010;47:56-9.
21. Putheti RR, Okigbo RN, Sai advanapu M, Chavanpatil S. Nanotechnology importance in the pharmaceutical industry. Afr J Pure Applied Chem 2008;2:27-31.
22. Martis EA, Badve RR, Degwekar MD. Nanotechnology based devices and applications in medicine: An overview. Chron Young Sci 2012;3:68-73.
23. Patel S, Bhirde AA, Rusling JF, Chem X, Gutkind SJ, Patel V. Nano delivers big: Designing molecular missiles for cancer therapeutics. Pharmaceutics 2011;3:34-52.
24. Ferrari M. Cancer Nanotechnology: Opportunities and Challenges. Nature Reviews. Cancer 2005;5:161-171.
25. Retel VP, Hummelb MJ, van Hartena WH. Review on early technology assessments of nanotechnologies in oncology. Mol Oncol 2009;3:394-01.
26. Yang TH, Chen CT, Wang CP, Lou PJ. Photodynamic therapy suppresses the migration and invasion of head and neck cancer cells in vitro. Oral Oncol 2007;43:358-65.
27. Kim S, Lim YT, Soltesz EG, De Grand AM, Lee J, Nakayama A, et al. Near-infrared fluorescent type II quantum dots for sentinel lymph node mapping. Nat Biotechnol 2004;22:93- 7.
28. Bertolini G, Paleari L, Catassi A, Roz L , Cesario A, Sozzi G, et al. In vivo Cancer Imaging with Semiconductor Quantum Dots. Curr Pharm Anal 2008;4:197-05.
29. Lifeng Dong, Michael M. Craig, Dongwoo Khang, and Chunying Chen, “Applications of Nanomaterials in Biology and Medicine,” Journal of Nanotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 816184, 2 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/816184.
30. Debbage P, Jaschke W. Molecular imaging with nanoparticles: Giant roles for dwarf actors. Histochem Cell Biol 2008;130:845-75.
31. Saini R, Saini S, Sharma S. Nanotechnology: The future medicine. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 2010;3:32-3.