IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 02, January, 2015
PRIMARY BULLOUS LUNG DISEASE - A CASE REPORT
Author: Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Venkateswara Babu Ranganathan, Venkatesh Couppoussamy, Jayashalini Jayabalan, Madhumidha Bhaskaran, Gokulavasanth Balakrishnan
Bullae are thinwalled air-containing space within the lung parenchyma. They are usually larger than 1 cm in diameter, and their walls are composed of attenuated and compressed lung parenchyma. (1) Presence of bulla in a background of smoking is usually attributed to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and is termed bullous emphysema. Bullous lung disease is presence of bulla in an otherwise normal lung. We present a case of bullous lung disease in a sixty five year old man with a clinical presentation of pneumothorax. The confounding factor was presence of smoking. The diagnosis was established by high resolution computed tomography(HRCT) of the chest.
Keywords: Bullous lung disease, HRCT
Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Venkateswara Babu Ranganathan, Venkatesh Couppoussamy, Jayashalini Jayabalan, Madhumidha Bhaskaran, Gokulavasanth Balakrishnan. PRIMARY BULLOUS LUNG DISEASE - A CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 02, January, 74-77
1. Robert R.Klingman, Vito A.Angelellio, Tom R.Demesseter. Cystic and bullous lung disease. Ann Thoracsurg 1991; 52: 576-580.
2. David M.F.Murphy,AlfredP.Fishman- Fishman’s textbook of pulmonary diseases and disorders The Mcgraw Hill company- fourth ed. Pg-913-915.
3. NidhiSood and Nikhil Sood. A rare case of vanishing lung syndrome.Case Reports in Pulmonology volume 2011, Article ID 957463.
4. S.W. Hii, J. D. C. Tam, B. R. Thompson, and M. T. Naughton,“Bullous lung disease due to marijuana,” Respirology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2008.
5. M. Beshay, H. Kaiser, D. Niedhart, M. A. Reymond, and R. A. Schmid, “Emphysema and secondary pneumothorax in young adults smoking cannabis.European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 32, no.
6, pp. 834–838, 2007. 6. R.S Fraser, P.D.Pare- diagnosis of diseases of the chest W.B Saunder’s company . Fourth ed Pg-2234-2235.
7. Nidhi Sharma, AlMamoonJustaniah, Jeffrey P. Kanne et al Vanishing Lung Syndrome (Giant Bullous Emphysema): CT Findings in 7 Patients and a Literature Review. J Thorac Imaging 2009;24:227–230).
8. N. N. Shah, R. Bhargava, Z. Ahmed, D.K. Pandey et al unilateral bullous emphysema of lung. Lung India 2007; 24 : 30-32.
9. Boushy SF, Kohen R, Billing DM, Heiman MJ. Bullous emphysema: clinical, roentgenologic and physiologic study of 49 patients. Dis Chest 1968; 54: 327-34. 10. Arongerg DJ, Sagel SS, LeFrak S, Kuhn C, Susman N. Lung carcinoma associated with bullous lung disease in young men. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1980;134:249-52. 11. Goldstein MJ, Snider GL, Liberson M et al. Bronchogenic carcinoma and giant bullous disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 1968; 97:1062-70.
12. Simon BC, Paolinetti L. Two cases where bedside ultrasound was able to distinguish pulmonary bleb from pneumothorax.J Emerg Med. 2005.29:201-5.
13. Phillips GD, Trotman-Dickensen B, Hodson ME, Geddes DM. Role of CT in the management of pneumothorax in patients with complex cystic lung disease. Chest 1997; 112: 275-8.
14. Gayle M. Waitches,Eric J. Stern,Theodore J. Dubinsky Usefulness of the Double-Wall Sign in Detecting Pneumothorax in Patients with Giant Bullous Emphysema AJR 2000;174:1765–1768.
15. Mehran RJ, Deslauriers J. Indications for surgery and patient work-up for bullectomy.ChestSurgClin N Am 1995; 5: 717-34.
16. Greenberg AJ, Singhal S, Kaiser LR Giant bullous lung disease: evaluation, selection, techniques, and outcomes. Chest SurgClin N Am. 2003 Nov;13(4):631-49.
17. Grayson Wheatley III, Aaron Estrera. Bullous Lung Disease. the cardiothoracic surgery network .www.ctsnet.org. published on aug 30, 2010. Accessed on 19.11.14.
18. Yasir Ahmad Lone, Abdul MajeedDar,MukandLal Sharma et al Outcome of the Surgical Treatment of Bullous Lung Disease: A Prospective Study. Tanaffos2012; 11(2): 27-33.