IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 02, January, 2015
A RANDOMIZED OPEN LABELED COMPARATIVE CLINICAL STUDY ON THE EFFICACIES OF HIJAMATBILA SHURT AND HABBE GULE AAKH IN CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS
Author: Mirza Ghufran Baig, Mohd Aleemuddin Quamri
Introduction and Objectives: Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disease of intervertebral discs and adjacent vertebral bodies of the cervical region with or without neurological sign. Despite the advancement in pharmacological, non pharmacological and surgical interventions, the management remains unsatisfactory due to high cost, and unusual eventualities. Unani physicians managed such joint disorders with diverse treatment modalities viz., diet, drugs, regimens such as dalk (massage) , riyazat (excercise), hijama (cupping), etc. Hence to scientifically validate the efficacies of Hijamat Bila Shurt (regimen) and Habbe Gule Aakh (a poly herbal formulation) a comparative clinical trial was conducted. Material and Methods: The study was conducted as a comparative, open labeled, randomized clinical trial on 30 patients with 15 in each group. Both groups received treatment for 21 days, Hijamat Bila Shurt group subjected once daily and Habbe Gule Aakh 2 BD orally with three follow ups (7th, 14th and 21st). The pre and post treatment effects were assessed based on subjective and objective parameters.
Results and Conclusion: The subjective parameters like neck pain, tenderness, and difficulty in neck movement were reduced with high statistical significance (p<0.001) with no significant reduction in paraesthesia in both group (p>0.05). Objective parameters Northwich Park Neck Pain Questionnaire (NPQ) revealed strong statistical significance (p<0.001) in both groups, whilstno significant change observed neither in Spurling Test (ST) nor in Neck Distraction Test (NDT) (p>0.05). Inter group analysis reveals no statistical significance (p>0.05) difference between the groups, but Hijamat Bila Shurt is found comparatively more
effective than Habbe Gule Aakh using ANOVA and student ‘t’ test (two tailed and independent). Moreover, both groups were found safe without any adverse effect.
Keywords: Cervical spondylosis; Hijamat Bila Shurt; Habbe Gule Aakh; Unani medicine
Mirza Ghufran Baig, Mohd Aleemuddin Quamri. A RANDOMIZED OPEN LABELED COMPARATIVE CLINICAL STUDY ON THE EFFICACIES OF HIJAMATBILA SHURT AND HABBE GULE AAKH IN CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 02, January, 41-46
1. Venes D, editor. Taber’s Encyclopedic Medical Dictionary. 21st ed. USA, America: F.A. Davis Company Philadelphia; 2009:413,1407,2183.
2. Coblyn JS, Bermas B, Weinblatt M, Helfgott S. Brigham and Women`s Experts Approach to Rheumatology. New York: Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data; 2011:66-69.
3. Reddy RS, Maiya GA, Rao SK. Proprioceptive Reposition Errors in Subjects with Cervical Spondylosis. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2012; 1(2): p. 65- 73.
4. Lisa AF. The Biomechanics of Cervical Spondylosis. Advances in Orthopedics. 2012:p. 1-5.
5. Marie AR. Massage Therapy for Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease:Alleviating Pain in the Neck. International Journal of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork. 2012 September; 5(3): p. 41-46.
6. Graham N, Gross AR, Carlesso LC, Santaguida PL, MacDermid JC, Walton D, et al. An ICON Overview on Physical Modalities for Neck Pain and Associated Disorders. The Open Orthopaedics Journal. 2013; 7: p. 440-460.
7. Hirpara KM, Butler RJS, Dolan RT, O’Byrne JM, Poynton AR. Non Operative Modalities to Treat Symptomatic Cervical Spondylosis. Advances in Orthopedics. 2012; p. 1-5.
8. Rana SS. Diagnosis and Management of Cervical Spondylosis. Medscape Drug Disease and Procedures. 2013 Jun; p. 1-8.
9. Zohar AMAMI. Kitabut Taisir Fil Madawa wat Tadbir. CCRUM, New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare,Govt of India; 1986:78-85.
10. Baig MG, Quamri MA, Ali SJ, Imtiyaz S, Sheeraz M, Ahmad Z. Concept and Management of Waja ul Mafasil (Arthritis) in Greeco Arabic Medicine- An Overview. International Journal of Current Research and Review. 6 (20):p 41-47.
11. Kabeeruddin M. Bayaze Kabeer part-2nd. Idarae Kitabus shifa. New Delhi :2010: 30, 37, 50, 57, 80,88, 89-93, 94, 176, 177, 179.
12. Anonymous. National Formulary of Unani Medicine. Part- 3rd. 1st ed. New Delhi: Govt. of India , Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2001:15.
13. Masihi AAFIAQ. Kitabul Umda Fil Jrahat. Vol-1st. New Delhi: CCRUM, Ministry of Health & Family welfare, Govt of India; 1986:36-38.
14. Grunner OC. The Canon of Medicine of Avicenna Incorporating a Translation of the First Book. London: Luzac & Co;1930: p.353, 508-512.
15. Sina I. Kulliyate Qanoon (Urdu translation by Mohammad Kabeeruddin). New Delhi: Ejaz publishing House; 2006:150-154,344-350.
16. Zarnigar, Arshi R. Clinical Efficacy of Al Hijama (Cupping) in Waja ul Mafasil Muzmin (Osteo arthriris). Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge.2011; 10 (2): p 327-329.
17. Das KVK. Textbook of Medicine. 5th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD; 2008: 1318-1319.
18. Prasad B. Principle and Practice of Medicine. 1st ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brother Medical Publishers (P) LTD; 1997: 708.
19. Wheeless CR. Wheeless` Textbook of RheumatologyOrthopaedics References and Discussions for Physicians. [Online].;1996-2014 [cited 2014 March 25] http://www. wheelessonline. om/ortho/cervical_spondylosis.
20. Hoy DG, Parotani M, De R, Buchbindar R. The Epidemiology of Neck pain. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2010; 24(6): p. 783-792.
21. Groenewes R, Kropman H, Assen LV, Mulder J, Tulder MW, Oostendrop RA. The Effectiveness and Cost-evaluation of Manual Therapy and Physical Therapy in Patients with Sub-acute and Chronic Non specific Neck pain. Rationale and Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT). BMC Musculoskeletal Disorder. 2010; 11(14): p. 1-9.
22. Cote P, Carroll L, Cassidy JD. The Epidemiology of Neck Pain: What We Have Learned from Our Population-Based Studies. Journal of Canadian Chiropractic Association. 2003; 47(4): p. 285-290.
23. Colledge NR, Walker BR, Ralston SH. Davidson’s Principles and of Practice of Medicine. 21st ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2010.1221-1222.
24. Rana SS. Diagnosis and Management of Cervical Spondylosis. Medscape Drug Disease and Procedures. 2013 Jun; p. 1-8.
25. Baghdadi IH. Al-mukhtarat Fit Part-4th. New Delhi: CCRUM, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.Govt of India; 2007:79.
26. Sina I. Al Qanoon Fit Tib. Vol 3rd (Urdu translation By GH Kantoori). New Delhi: Idarae Kitabus Shifa; YNM: 600- 601,1119-1120,1129.
27. Razi ABMBZ. Kitabul Havi. Vol-11th. New Delhi: CCRUM, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India; 2004: 75-76.
28. Jurjani AH. Zakheerae Khuwarzam Shahi.Vol-6th (Urdu translation by Hk Hadi Hussain). New Delhi: Idare kitabus Shifa; 2010:73-74,637-639
. 29. Ramani PS. Textbook of Cervical Spondylosis. 1st ed. Darya ganj New Delhi: Jaypee Brother Medical publisher; 2004:1,155-160.
30. Anjum N, Jamil S, Hannan A, Akhtar J, Ahmad B. Clinical Efficacy of Hijamat (Cupping) in Waja ul Mafasil Muzmin (arthritis) Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge.2005 Oct; 4 (4). p 412-415.
31. Nayab M, Anwar M, Quamri M A, Clinical Study on Waja ul Mafasil and Evaluation of Efficacy of Hijamat Bila Shurt in the Treatment, Indian journal of Unani Medicine. 2011 Oct;10 (4):p. 697-701.
32. Nayab M, Ansari M A, Anwar M, Yaseen A, Effect of Hijamat Bila Shart in the Management of Waja uz Zohar - A Clinical Study. Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine, 2011Jan-Mar;6 (1): p. 79-86.
33. Siddiqui MA, Quamri MA, Singh B. Effect of Hijamat Bila Shurt in Low Back Pain- An Open Randomized Control Study. RGUHS Journal of AYUSH Science. 2011 June; 1(1): p. 39-44.
34. Sheeraz M, Quamri MA, Ahmed Z. A Comparative Clinical Study on the Effects of Mehjama Nariya (fire cupping) and Hijamat Bila Shurt (dry cupping) in Irqunnasa (sciatica). Spatula DD. 2013; 3(4): p. 161-166.
35. Usmani C. Clinical Study in The Management of Wajaul Mafasil with Unani Formulation .[dissertation].Bangalore: NIUM.RGUHS.2007:65-85.
36. Nafees M, Khan NA, Amin KMY, Ahmad G. Evaluation of Anti inflammatory activity of Habbe Gule Aakh in Albino rats. Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine. 2012;7(4): p.1-9.