IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 03, February, 2015
RETINAL AND MACULAR HEMORRHAGES IN PLASMODIUM VIVAX INFECTION: AN UNCOMMON COMPLICATION
Author: Rajalakshmi A. R., Srikanth K., Maithreyee V.
Aim: To study the association between retinal hemorrhages in Plasmodium vivax malaria infection.
Case report: A 29 - year -old male patient with fever and hepatosplenomegaly, diagnosed with Plasmodium vivax (P. vivax) malaria
infection developed sudden loss of vision in left eye during the course of illness. He was found to have retinal and macular
intra-retinal hemorrhage and was managed conservatively with serial follow up. The condition resolved spontaneously with no
residual defective vision.
Discussion: Retinal and macular hemorrhages are very rare in P. vivax infections and very few cases have been reported in
Conclusion: Recognition of this rare, yet serious and vision threatening complication in P. vivax malaria infection is emphasized
for the need to be aware of the protean manifestations of P. vivax malaria infections.
Keywords: Retinal hemorrhage, Macular hemorrhage, P. vivax
Rajalakshmi A. R., Srikanth K., Maithreyee V.. RETINAL AND MACULAR HEMORRHAGES IN PLASMODIUM VIVAX INFECTION: AN UNCOMMON COMPLICATION International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 03, February, 36-38
1. Sithole HL. A review of malarial retinopathy in severe malaria. S Afr Optom 2011; 70:129-35.
2. Biswas J, Fogla R , Srinivasan P , Narayan S , Haranath K , Badrinath V . Ocular malaria. A clinical and histopathologic study. Ophthalmology 1996; 103: 1471-5.
3. Kim SM, Kim KB, Jung HJ, Kim WJ, Kim MJ, Park SC. Retinal hemorrhage in an adult with P. vivax malaria. Korean J Infect Dis 1997; 29: 323-6.
4. Chung C, Kim Y, Chung M. Retinal hemorrhage in a patient with tertian malaria. Korean J Infect Dis 1998; 30: 115.
5. Choi HJ, Lee SY, Yang H, Bang JK. Retinal haemorrhage in vivax malaria. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2004; 98: 387-9.
6. Lee JH, Chin HS, Chung MH, Moon YS Retinal hemorrhage in Plasmodium vivax malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010; 82: 219-22.
7. Kumar A, Valecha N, Jain T, Dash AP. Burden of Malaria in India: Retrospective and Prospective View. In: Breman JG, Alilio MS, White NJ, editors. Defining and Defeating the Intolerable Burden of Malaria III: Progress and Perspectives: Supplement to Volume 77(6) of American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Northbrook (IL): American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene; 2007 Dec. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1720/
8. Sharma S, Maheshwari U, Bansal N. Retinal haemorrhage in plasmodium vivax patients-2 rare case reports. J Evolution Med Dent Sci .2012:1;929-31
9. Kochar A, Kalra P, Kochar S, Kochar SK, Kochar D. K. Retinal haemorrhage: An unusual presentation of vivax malaria. J Vector Borne Dis: 2013: 50; 321-322.
10. Hidayat AA, Nalbandian RM, Sammons DW, Fleischman JA, Johnson TE. The diagnostic histopathologic features of ocular malaria. Ophthalmology.1993; 100:1183-6.