IJCRR - 7(5), March, 2015
HEALTH PROBLEMS OF ELDERLY: A CHALLENGE FOR CARE
Author: Solanki S. L., Singhal G., Mishra N., Meharda B.
Background: Ageing is a natural process and in recent years, the ageing of population is on increase world over. Ageing brings about a number of physiological changes, leading to serious public health problems. Although the health care services are advanced and improved but still the burden of disease of elderly is increasing with a challenge for health care on family and nation.
Objective: Good health is a pre requisite to good quality of life. Considering this fact, this study was planned to assess the health problems of elderly people for care and prevention.
Material and Method: This cross sectional study was designed, to study 300 elderly people of age 60 years and above from the urban health training centre of department of community medicine, GMCH, Udaipur.
Results: Majority of the elderly subjects were observed to be illiterate, married, with defective vision and certain addiction habits. Most of the elderly were observed with non-communicable and communicable diseases, involving almost all body systems. Among the elderly (13.67%) of the subjects needed physical assistance for carrying out their daily living activity.
Conclusion: Most of elderly people are observed with poor health status affected by multiple social and medical problems. Elderly people are more likely to have ocular, musculoskeletal, hypertension, hearing problems, insomnia, dental problems, diabetes and other diseases. The prevalence of chronic diseases in elderly people could be cared by strengthening geriatric health services for control and health promotion.
Keywords: Chronic illnesses, Health problems, Urban health training centre
Solanki S. L., Singhal G., Mishra N., Meharda B.. HEALTH PROBLEMS OF ELDERLY: A CHALLENGE FOR CARE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(5), March, 38-42
1. Elder Care- Health action, 2004; 17(2).
2. WHO (2005), Healthy ageing, practical pointers on keeping well, WHO, Western Pacific Region.
3. Govt. of India, WHO (2003), Student’s handbook for IMNCI.
4. Balamurugan J, Ramathirtham G. Health problems of aged people, IJRSS, 2012 ; 2(3): 139-150.
5. Lena A, Ashok K, Padma M, Kamth V Kamth A. Health and social problems of the elderly. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 2009; 34(2): 131-134.
6. Manikanta P. - A Study on the health status of the tribal elderly of Andhra Pradesh, IJR, 2013; Vol. 2, issue 10 : 188- 90.
7. Surekha Kishore, Ruchi Juyal, Jayanti Semwal, Ramesh Chandra. Morbidity profile of elderly persons. J K Science 2007; 9(2): 87-89.
8. Mohammed Ubaidula, Inamdar IF Asar NR Doibale MK. Medical and psychosocial profile of geriatric population IOSR-JDMS 2014; 13(3): 29-33.
9. Jadhav VS, Mundada VD, Gaikwad AV Doibale MK, Kulkani AP. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy 2012; 2(2): 184-88.
10. Kavita Banker, Bipin Prajapati, Geeta Kedia. Study of health profile of residents of geriatric home in Ahmedabad District. National Journal of Community Medicine 2011; 2(3): 378-82.
11. Vinod Mundada, Vijay Jadhav, AV Gaikwad. Study of addiction problems and morbidity among geriatric population. Journal of Mid Life Health 2013; 4(3): 172-175.