IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 05, March, 2015
COEXISTENCE OF TUBERCULOSIS WITH WARTHIN TUMOR OF SUBMANDIBULAR SALIVARY GLAND: A CASE REPORT
Author: S. S. Bhosle, B. S. Warad, Saumya Nair
The concomitant occurrence of tuberculosis infection within a Warthin tumor of submandibular salivary gland is extremely rare as only one case has been previously reported to best of our knowledge. Warthin tumor is an exclusive tumor of the parotid gland and involvement of submandibular gland is very rare. Tuberculous infection of the salivary gland is also very rare. We report a case of a 50 yr old male who presented with a gradually increasing swelling of left upper neck. Surgical excision was done. Histopathology revealed warthin tumor with multiple epitheloid granulomas with caseous necrosis and the patient was treated
with antituberculous drugs.
Keywords: Warthin tumor, Tuberculosis, Submandibular gland
S. S. Bhosle, B. S. Warad, Saumya Nair. COEXISTENCE OF TUBERCULOSIS WITH WARTHIN TUMOR OF SUBMANDIBULAR SALIVARY GLAND: A CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 05, March, 34-37
1. Maheshwari V, Jain A, Varshney M, Alam K, Gaur K, Sharma SC. Warthin’s tumour with coexistent tuberculosis. BMJ Case Reports. 2011;10.1136/bcr.09.2010.3349.
2. Adeyemo WL, Ajayi OF, Anunobi CC, Ogunlewe MO, ALLadeinde, Omitola OG et al. Tumours of the Submandibular Salivary Gland: a Clinicopathologic Review of Cases over a 17-year period. West Indian Med J. 2009; 58 (4): 388.
3. Birkent H, Karahatay S, Akcam T, Durmaz A , Ongoru O. Primary parotid tuberculosis mimicking parotid neoplasm: a case report.Journal of Medical Case Reports.2008;2: 62.
4. Faur A, Lazar E, Cornianu M, Dema A, Vidita CG, Galu?can A. Warthin tumor : a curious entity – case reports and review of literature. Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology. 2009; 50(2):269-73
. 5. Sudarshan, Vivek G K, Ghosh A, Bhattacharya D. Extraparotid warthin tumor – A diagnostic dilemma.J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2013; 25(1):51-54.
6. Chapnik J. S. The controversy of Warthin’s tumor.Laryngoscope. 1983; 93(6):695-716.
7. Kotwall C, Smoking as an etiologic factor in the development of Warthin’s tumor of the parotid gland. Am J Surg. 1992; 164(6):646-47.
8. Arida M, Barnes EL, Hunt JL, Molecular assessment of allelic loss in Warthin tumors. Mod Pathol. 2005; 18(7):964- 68.
9. Chin KW, Billings KR, Ishiyamma A, Wang MB, Wackym PA. Characterization of lymphocyte subpopulations in Warthins tumor. Laryngoscope. 1995;105: 928–33.
10. Al Bisher H. A rare case of primary tuberculosis infection with concurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. Infectious Disease Reports 2010; 2e6:14-15
11. Ulusan M, Abul Y, Bak?r S. Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infection within a Warthin Tumor: A Case Report and Literature Review.N Am J Med Sci.2013 oct;5(10):617-19
12. Shilpa S. Patankar & Shubha S. Chandorkar & Amit Garg. Parotid Gland Tuberculosis: A Case Report. Indian J Surg.2012 Mar-Apr;74 (2):179-180.
13. Tauro LF, George C, Kamath A, Swethadri GK, Gatty R. Primary Tuberculosis of Submandibular Salivary Gland. 2011(3):1;82-85.
14. Seifert G, Bull HG, Donath K. Histologic subclassification of the cystadenolymphoma of the parotid gland. Analysis of 275 cases. Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histol. 1980; 388 : 13-38.
15. Suoglu Y, Erdamar B, Colhan I, Katircioglu OS, Cevikbas U. Tuberculosis of the parotid gland. J Laryngol Otol. 1998 ;112: 588-91.
16. Wen YH, Chen PR, Wu HP. Case report tuberculosis infection within a Warthin’s tumor of the parotid gland. Tzu Chi Med J 2008; 20:4.
17. Watanabe M, Nakayama T, Koduka Y, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection within Warthin’s tumor: report of two cases. Pathol Int. 2001; 51:797-801.
18. Ozcan C, Apa DD, Aslan G, et al.Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection within parotid gland Warthin tumor. J Craniofac Surg 2008;19:1561-65.