IJCRR - 7(5), March, 2015
IMPROVING GROWTH INDICES AND PERFORMANCE IN WEANED PIGS UPTO GROWER STAGE WITH HERBAL ANTISTRESS SUPPLEMENT
Author: Praveen Kumar, K. Ravikanth, Adarsh, C. Abhinay
Objective: Studying the growth promoting and performance enhancing activity of Stresomix in weaned pigs up to grower stage.12 weaned pigs (Tamworth × Desi breed) of almost same age group (2-3month) and body weight were procured. All the 12 experimental piglets were randomly divided into 2 groups- group T1 and group T2 maintaining similar male: female ratio (n=6). Each group was allotted to different dietary treatments. Group T1 served as no treatment control group fed with basal ration only and group T2 piglets were supplemented with Stresomix (1kg/tone of feed) (M/S Ayurvet Limited, Baddi, India). Growth and haemato biochemical parameter were studied for 90 days on fortnightly basis. Daily body weight gain and linear body measurements were high in Stresomix supplemented group T2. Feed conversion efficiency was significantly improved in Stresomix supplemented
group T2. Haemato biochemical parameters were normal in Stresomix supplemented group T2. Stresomix improved the growth parameters and enhanced the feed efficiency in the piglets.
Keywords: Stress, Growth rate, Haemato biochemical parameters
Praveen Kumar, K. Ravikanth, Adarsh, C. Abhinay. IMPROVING GROWTH INDICES AND PERFORMANCE IN WEANED PIGS UPTO GROWER STAGE WITH HERBAL ANTISTRESS SUPPLEMENT International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(5), March, 01-06
1. Sangild PT, Thymann T, Schmidt M, Stoll B, Burrin DG, Buddington RK. The preterm Pig as a Model in Pediatric Gastroenterology. J Anim Sci 2013; 91: 4713-29.
2. Rootwelt V, Reksen O, Farstad W, Framstad T. Postpartum deaths: Piglet, placental, and umbilical characteristics. J Anim Sci 2013; 91: 2647-56.
3. Milligan BN, Fraser D, Kramer DL. Within-litter birth weight variation in the domestic pig and its relation to preweaning survival, weight gain, and variation in weaning weights. Livest Prod Sci 2002; 76: 181-91.
4. Johnson RK, Nielsen MK, Casey DS. Reponses in ovulation rate, embryonal survival, and litter traits in swine to 14 generations of selection to increase litter size. J Anim Sci 1999; 77: 541-57.
5. Quiniou N, Dagorn J, Gaudre D. Variation of piglets birth weight and consequences on subsequent performance. Livest Prod Sci 2002; 78: 63-70.
6. Gardner IA, Hird DV, Franti CE.. Neonatal survival in swine: Effects of low birth weight and clinical disease. Am J Vet Res 1989; 50: 792-97.
7. Le Dividich J, Herpin P. Effects of climatic conditions on the performance, metabolism and health status of weaned piglets: a review. Livest Prod Sci 1994; 38: 79-90.
8. McCracken BA, Gaskins HR, Ruwe-Kaiser PJ, Klasing KC, Jewell DE. Diet-dependent and diet-independent metabolic responses underlie growth stasis of pigs at weaning. J Nutr 1995; 125: 2838-45.
9. McCracken BA, Spurlock ME, Roos MA, Zuckermann FA, Gaskins HR. Weaning anorexia may contribute to local inflammation in the piglet small intestine. J Nutr 1999; 129: 613-19.
10. Fraser D, Milligan BN, Pajor EA, Philips PA, Tayor AA, Weary DM. Progress in pigs science. In: Wiseman JM, Varley A, Chadwick JP, editors. Nottingham University Press; 1997.p. 121-40.
11. Palmø HA. Derivation of economic values for sow litter, oestrus and longevity traits, offspring production and carcass traits under Danish production circumstances using a profit equation model. PhD-thesis. The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1999.
12. Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical Methods. 8th ed. IOWA: IOWA State University Press; 1994. p. 1-503.
13. Srinivasan K. Spices as influencers of body metabolism: An overview of three decades of research. Food Res Int 2005; 38: 77-86
14. Bhattacharya SK, Muruganandam AV. Adaptogenic activity of Withania somnifera: an experimental study using a rat model of chronic stress. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2003; 75(3): 547-55.
15. Kaur P, Mathur S, Sharma M, Tiwari M, Srivastava KK, Chandra R. A biologically active constituent of Withania somnifera (ashwagandha) with antistress activity. Indian J Clin Biochem 2001; 16(2): 195-98.
16. Godhwani S, Godhwani JL and Vyas DS. Ocimum sanctum. A preliminary study evaluating its immunoregulatory profile in albino rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1988; 24: 193-98.
17. Rastogi S. Ayurveda for comprehensive healthcare. Indian J Med Ethics 2009; 6(2): 101-02.
18. Houška L, Wolfová M, Nagy I, Csörnyei Z, Komlósi I. Economic values for traits of pigs in Hungary. Czech J Anim Sci 2010; 55 (4): 139-48.
19. Rukmini C, Vijayarahhavan M. Nutritional and Toxicological evaluation of mango kernal oil. J Enviromental Pathological Toxicol 1980; 4: 93-103.
20. Mwale M, Mupangwa JF, Mapiye C. Growth performance of guinea fowl keets fed graded levels of baobab seed cake diets. Int J Poult Sci 2008; 7: 429-32.
21. Reddy ET, Reddy PS, Satyanarayana PVV Reddy, Shakila S. Effect of herbal preparations (Phyllanthus emblica, Curcuma longa and Ocimum sanctum) on the performance of broilers. Tamilnadu J Veterinary & Animal Sciences 2012; 8(4): 209-14.
22. Kale VR, Wankhede SM, Karle SD. Effect of Dietary Supplementation of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on Carcass Quality of Broiler Chicken. Indian J Anim Nutr 2014; 31(1): 81-5
23. Tegbe JS, Olurunju SAS. The Prediction of Liveweight of crossbred pigs from three body measurements. Nig J Anim Prod 1988; 15: 9-13.
24. Oke UK, Ibe SN, Ologbose FI, Amaefule KU. Effect of breed of sire on growth performance of exotic and crossbreed pigs in a humid tropical environment. J Anim Vet Adv 2006; 5: 744-48.
25. Sungirai M, Masaka L, Benhura TM. Validity of Weight Estimation Models in Pigs Reared under Different Management Conditions. Vet Med Int 2014; 1: 1-5.
26. Khan TA, Zafar F. Haematological Study in Response to Varying Doses of Estrogen in Broiler Chicken. Int J Poult Sci 2005; 4(10): 748-51.
27. Etim NN, Enyenihi GE , Williams ME, Udo MD, Offiong EEA. Haematological Parameters: Indicators of the Physiological Status of Farm Animals. British J Sci. 2013; 10(1): 33-45.
28. Adenkola AY, Ayo JO, Asala OO. Variations in Haematological Parameters and Erythrocyte Osmotic Fragility of Pigs during Hot-Dry and Harmattan Season in Northern Guinea Savanna Zone of Nigeria. Niger J Physiol Sci 2011; 26: 113-18.
29. Svobodová AR, Galandáková A, Sianská J, Doležal D, Ulrichová J, Vostálová J. Acute exposure to solar simulated ultraviolet radiation affects oxidative stress-related biomarkers in skin, liver and blood of hairless mice. Biol Pharm Bull 2011; 34(4): 471-9.
30. Sahin K, Sahin N, Onderci M, Yaraliogu S, Kucuk O. Protective role of supplemental vitamin E on lipid peroxidation, vitamins E, A and some mineral concentrations of broilers reared under heat stress. Vet Med Czech 2001; 46: 140-44.