IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 07, April, 2015
ISCHEMIC STROKE IN AN ATRIAL SEPTAL ANEURYSM INDIVIDUAL- A CASE REPORT
Author: Sahid Imam Mallick, Sauvik Dasgupta, Auriom Kar, Soumava Mukherjee, Sneha Jatan Bothra, Mansi Das, N. B. Debnath
An atrial septal aneurysm (ASA) is a well recognized but rare cardiac defect where there is localized saccular deformity of atrial septum that bulges in to either right or left atrium. It may be present isolated or in presence of other defects. ASA can be diagnosed by tranthoracic (TTE) or transesophageal (TEE) echocardiography. In most situations it is diagnosed incidentally and often consider as benign entity. However, atrial arrhythmias and arterial embolisms are the complications ASA may present with. Here we present a 40 years male patient presents with right middle cerebral artery ischemic stroke with left sided hemi paresis,
seizures and altered sensorium. All blood parameters and Doppler imaging showed normal study. Echocardiography revealed a moderate atrial septal aneurysm. Patient was treated with anti coagulation and discharged in stable condition.
Keywords: Atrial septal aneurysm (ASA), Ischemic stroke, Echocardiography
Sahid Imam Mallick, Sauvik Dasgupta, Auriom Kar, Soumava Mukherjee, Sneha Jatan Bothra, Mansi Das, N. B. Debnath. ISCHEMIC STROKE IN AN ATRIAL SEPTAL ANEURYSM INDIVIDUAL- A CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 07, April, 32-34
1. Silver MD, Dorsey JS. Aneurysms of the septum primum in adults. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1978; 102:62–5.
2. Hanley PC, Tajik AJ, Hynes JK, Edwards WD, Reeder GS, Hagler DJ, et al. Diagnosis and classification of atrial septal aneurysm by two dimensional echocardiography: Report of 80 consecutive cases. J Am Coll Cardiol.1985; 6:1370–82.
3. Gallet B, Malergue MC, Adams C, Saudemont JP, Collot AM, Druon MC, et al. Atrial septal aneurysm a potential cause of systemic embolism. Br Heart J. 1985; 53:292–7.
4. Hauser AM, Timmis GC, Stewart JR, Ramos RG, Gangadharan V, Westveer DC, Gordon S. Aneurysm of the atrial septum as diagnosed by echocardiography: analysis of 11 patients. Am J Cardiol. 1984; 53:1401-1402.
5. Pearson AC, Nagelhout D, Castello R, Gomez CR, Labovitz AJ. Atrial septal aneurysm and stroke: a transesophageal echocardiographic study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1991; 18:1223-1229.
6. Schneider B, Hanrath P, Vogel P, Meinertz T. Improved morphologic characterization of atrial septal aneurysm by transesophageal echocardiography: relation to cerebrovascular events. J Am Coll Cardiol.1990; 16:1000-1009.
7. Grosgogeat Y, Lhermitte F, Carpentier A, Facquet J, Alhomme P, Tran TX. Aneurysme de la cloison interauriculaire révélé par une embolie cérébrale. Arch Mal Coeur. 1973; 66:169-177.
8. Mugge A, Daniel WG, Angermann C, Spes C, Khandheria BK, Kronzon L, et al. Atrial septal aneurysm in adult patients.A multicenter study using transthoracic and tarnsoesophageal echocardiography. Circulation.1965; 91:2785–92.
9. El-Chami MF, Hanna IR, Helmy T, Block PC. Atrial septal abnormalities and cryptogenic stroke: A paradoxical science. Am Heart Hosp J. 2005; 3:99–104.