IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 08, April, 2015
A RARE CASE OF LYMPHOEPITHELIOMA OF BASE OF TONGUE-NON NASOPHARYNGEAL LYMPHOEPITHELIOMA
Author: Surendra M., Siva Sankar Kotne, P. B. Ananda Rao, P. Ravindra Kumar
Background: Lymphoepithelioma (Squamous cell carcinoma with associated lymphoid stroma) commonly occurs in nasopharynx. It occurs rarely at other sites like oropharynx, laryngo-hypopharynx and salivary glands. Lymphoepitheliomas of base of tongue are less than 1% in head and neck region.
Case Report: We present a rare case of 65years old male patient with lymphoepithelioma of base of tongue with bilateral cervical level II lymph nodes and immunohistochemistry showing positivity for cytokeratin and negativity for leucocyte common antigen. Patient is also a known Hansen’s disease, which was treated 10 years back and has left lower limb amputated for chronic venous ulcer.
Treatment Guidelines: Treatment course was planned as per stage with radical radiotherapy with concurrent chemotherapy. Wider volume (CTV) was given to cover distant regional spread as the tumour is locally aggressive.
Conclusion: Lymphoepitheliomas are radiosensitive tumours with higher rates of locoregional tumour control, achieved with concomitant chemo radiotherapy in all head and neck sites.Distant metastasis was seen in patients with lymph node involvement and was a cause of poor prognosis. Non nasopharyngeal lymphoepithelioma can be planned better than nasopharyngeal tumours as in the later, organs at risk are near by.
Keywords: Lymphoepithelioma, Hansen’s disease, CTV (clinical tumour volume)
Surendra M., Siva Sankar Kotne, P. B. Ananda Rao, P. Ravindra Kumar. A RARE CASE OF LYMPHOEPITHELIOMA OF BASE OF TONGUE-NON NASOPHARYNGEAL LYMPHOEPITHELIOMA International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 08, April, 67-70
1. Zbaren P, Borisch B, Lang H, Greiner R. Undifferentiated carcinoma of nasopharyngeal type of the laryngopharyngeal region. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997: 117: 688– 693.
2. Chow1, Chow, Lui, Sze, Yuen, Kwok; Lymphoepitheliomalike carcinoma of oral cavity: Report of three cases and literature review; Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2002.
3. Merz H, Marnitz S, Erbersdobler A, Goektas O. Schminckes tumour, Carcinoma of the base of the tongue, a case report. Case rep oncol. 2010;3(1):77–82
4. Klijanienko J, Micheau C, Azli N, et al. Undifferentiated carcinoma of nasopharyngeal type of tonsil. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 1989: 115: 731–734.
5. SUN Xiao-nan, XU Jing, YANG Qi-chu, HU Jian-bin and WANG Qi; Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the submandibular salivary gland: a case report; Chinese Medical Journal 2006. 119(15):1315–1317.
6. Dubey P, Ha CS, Ang KK, et al. Nonnasopharyngeal lymphoepithelioma of the head and neck. Cancer 1998: 82: 1556–1562.