IJCRR - 7(9), May, 2015
NANOTECHNOLOGY - ADVANCING THE FIELD OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
Author: Prajakta Kishore Kalangutkar
Biomedical Engineering is one of the most important fields in engineering as it deals with interfacing the human body with electronic devices. Thus the performances of these Biomedical devices need to meet the requirements. However the traditional devices lack in certain aspects due to the accessibility of complex structures. With the recent advances in Nanotechnology, a wide range of Biomedical devices are gaining a boom in development by overcoming the drawbacks of the traditional devices. The application of Nanotechnology in Biomedical engineering has given rise to a drug delivery system that directly targets the affected cell, a nano capsule with camera that can be swallowed by patient for diagnosing ailments and many more such applications that make the diagnosing and treatment much simpler and the complex structures accessible. This paper reviews the advancement of Biomedical applications due to the integration of Nanotechnology field
Keywords: Nanoparticles, Nanomanufacturing, Microbots, Biomarkers
Prajakta Kishore Kalangutkar. NANOTECHNOLOGY - ADVANCING THE FIELD OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(9), May, 66-70
1. Herbert Ernest and Rahul Shetty, “Impact of Nanotechnology on Biomedical Sciences: Review of Current Concepts on Convergence of Nanotechnology With Biology”, Submitted: March 26th, 2005.
2. Shalini Singh, “Nanostructures: Enhancing Potential Applications in Biomedicals”, Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, 2013, Vol.4, No.1, Article ID: 26835.
3. Kalangutkar, Prajakta Kishore. “The Evolution of Nanomedicine with the Re-Evolution of Nanotechnology.”
4. There’s Plenty of Room at the Bottom- http://www.zyvex. com/nanotech/feynman.html.
5. Weili Qiao, BochuWang, YazhouWang, Lichun Yang, Yiqiong Zhang, and Pengyu Shao “Cancer Therapy Based on Nanomaterials and Nanocarrier Systems”, Journal of Nanomaterials, Volume 2010, Article ID 796303.
6. B.Roszek, W.H. de Jong and R.E. Geertsma, “Nanotechnology in medical applications: state-of the-art in materials and devices”, RIVM report 265001001/2005
7. Rajshri M.Navalakhe and Tarala D.Nandedkar, “Application of Nanotechnology in Biomedicine”, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, Feb 2007,Vol.54, pp. 160-165.
8. Biomedical Application of Nanotechnology: http://www. ece.gatech.edu/
9. Siddhartha Shrivastava and Debabrata Dash , “Applying Nanotechnology to Human Health Revolution in Biomedical Sciences”, Journal of Nanotechnology,Vol.2009, Article ID 284702.
10. YaleScientific: http://www.yalescientific.org/2013/02/ microbots-using-nanotechnology-in- medicine/
11. Given Imaging: http://www.givenimaging.com/, visited on 30/12/2014.
12. Nanotechnology medical applications – Research at the University of Maryland.
13. Anirudha Malik, Sudhir Chaudhary, Garima Garg and Avnika Tomar, “Dendrimers: A Tool for Drug Delivery”, Advances in Biomedical Research,2012, Vol. 6, issue 4, pp. 165-169.
14. Low Voltage Electron Microscope - http://www.lv-em. com/news-and-events/lvem5-desktop- tem-used-to-imagedendrimers
15. Oak Ridge National Laboratory: http://web.ornl.gov/info/ news/pulse/pulse_v246_07.htm, visited on 26/12/2014.
16. Medical Discovery News: http://www.medicaldiscoverynews.com/shows/255-microbots.html, visited on 22/12/2014.
17. Yale Scientific: http://www.yalescientific.org/2013/02/ microbots-using-nanotechnology-in- medicine/, visited on 22/12/2014.
18. Scoop.It! http://www.scoop.it/t/nanoscience-resourcesfor-secondary-schools, visited on 2/1/2015.
19. http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/modern-technology/gold-nanotech1.htm, visited on 29/12/2014.
20. Introduction to Nanotechnology: http://nanogloss. com/nanotechnology/advantages-and - disadvantages-of-nanotechnology/#ixzz3OUXqd79a, visited on 29/12/2014.
21. Introduction to Nanotechnology: http://nanogloss. com/nanotechnology/the-potential- disadvantages-of-nanotechnology/#ixzz3OUbIWuwF, visited on 29/12/2014.