IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 09, May, 2015
EVALUATION AND COMPARISON OF VARIOUS PRESCRIPTION SPECIFICATIONS AND SLOT DISTORTION OF PRE-ADJUSTED EDGEWISE BRACKETS MANUFACTURED BY DIFFERENT COMPANIES AVAILABLE IN INDIA
Author: Eshan Awasthi, Narendra Sharma, Sunita Shrivastav, R.H. Kamble
Objective: To assess and evaluate the tip, torque, slot size and slot distortion of maxillary central incisor, maxillary lateral incisor and maxillary canine brackets from commercially available bracket systems (Agile Mini Brackets- 3M series, Mini series- American Orthodontics, Mini Gem series- Dento Smile, Fine Series Brackets - Galaxy Orthodontics, Centrino Mini brackets- Libral trader, Orthox Organizers) in the 0.022-inch dimension.
Material and method: The sample consisted of three brackets each (maxillary central incisor, lateral incisor and canine) of all the companies the tip, torque and slot dimension of which were measured in the 0.022-inch dimension. Images were obtained using stereomicroscope and measurements were taken after operator calibration using AU|TOCAD software 2012, and a digital readout was produced.
Results: Results indicated that none of the companies showed exact values of tip and torque however 3M Agile Mini series showed values nearest to normal whereas Orthox Organizers showed most inaccurate values. For slot dimension American Orthodontics Mini series showed most accurate values whereas Orthox Organizers showed most inaccurate values. All the companies showed oversized slot except Dento Smile Mini Gem series which showed undersized slot. Slot distortion was found maximum in Orthox Organizer and least in American Orthodontics Mini series.
Conclusion: Inaccuracy in slot dimension, inbuilt tip and torque of the pre-adjusted brackets can affect the final position of teeth in the arch with an added need of wire bending to achieve desired results.
Keywords: Tip, Torque, Slot size, Slot distortion
Eshan Awasthi, Narendra Sharma, Sunita Shrivastav, R.H. Kamble. EVALUATION AND COMPARISON OF VARIOUS PRESCRIPTION SPECIFICATIONS AND SLOT DISTORTION OF PRE-ADJUSTED EDGEWISE BRACKETS MANUFACTURED BY DIFFERENT COMPANIES AVAILABLE IN INDIA International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 09, May, 44-51
1. Thickett E, Taylor NG, Hodge T. Choosing a pre-adjusted orthodontic appliance prescription for anterior teeth. J Orthod 2007; 34:95-100.
2. Andrews LF. Straight Wire, the Concept and Appliance. San Diego: L. A. Wells; 1989.
3. Peck S. Orthodontic slot size: it’s time to retool. Angle Orthod. 2001; 71:329–330.
4. Rubin R. A plea for agreement. Angle Orthod. 2001; 71:156.
5. M. E. Hixson, W. A. Brantley, J. J. Pincsak, and J. P. Conover, “Changes in bracket slot tolerance following recycling of direct-bond metallic orthodontic appliances,” The American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 447–454, 1982.
6. Raghuraj. M.B. et al. Evaluation of efficacy of the MBT appliance in expressing inbuilt tip and torque values: using torque angulation device. J. Orthod Research; 2013:135- 141.
7. Meiling. T.R. et al. The effect of second order couple on the application of torque. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1998; 113:256-62.
8. Aditya. G. et al. Slot .022” MBT bracket torque accuracy (Evaluation of scanning electron microscopy- Research Article). Cited – 2013.
9. Kusy.R.P. Assessement of second-order clearances between orthodontic archwires and brackets slots via the critical contact angle for binding. Angle Orthod 1999; 69(1):71-80.
10. A.C Cash et al An Evaluation of Slot Size in Orthodontic Brackets—Are Standards as Expected? Angle Orthod 2004;74:450–453
11. Flores. D.A. et al. Deformation of metal brackets: a comparative study. Angle Orthod 1994; 64(4):283-290.
12. Kapur. et al. Comparision of load transmission and bracket deformation between titanium and stainless steel brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop1999; 116:275-8
13. Lacoursiere. R.A. et al. Measurement of orthodontic bracket tie wing elastic and plastic deformation by arch wire torque expression utilizing an optical image correlation technique. J Dent Biomech 2010:1-7.