IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 09, May, 2015
AWARENESS AND ASSSESSMENT OF ORAL HYGEINE AND PERIODONTAL STATUS AMONG THE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN A J HOSPITAL CAMPUS, MANGALORE
Author: Bipina P., Manjushree Kadam, Nasila Mohammed, Anjali Jain
Background: The health of construction workers goes ignored because of their stressful working conditions, busy schedules and poor economic conditions. The need for dental care should be emphasized among these workers. Limited literature on their attitude towards oral health, their awareness, habits and behavior among these construction workers incited us to assess the preventive oral health care awareness and oral hygiene practices among the construction workers in A.J hospital, campus, Mangalore.
Materials and methods: Total of 136 systemically healthy construction workers were selected for the study. A questionnaire was administered by examiner. The study proforma consisted of demographic data and data related to oral hygiene habits and practices. Oral Hygiene Index-Simplified and Community Periodontal Index and Treatment Needs indices were used to record oral hygiene status and periodontal status respectively. Chi-square test was used to determine the association between the variables. P value < 0.05 were selected to denote statistical significance.
Results: Majority of the workers brushed once daily and had adverse habits, poor oral hygiene status and periodontitis associated with bleeding gums and halitosis. Most of the workers had a dental visit only in problem.
Conclusion: The community should be provided with dental health education by giving more importance in oral hygiene maintenance, habit counseling and regular dental visits.
Keywords: Dental awareness, Oral hygiene status, Periodontal status, Construction workers
Bipina P., Manjushree Kadam, Nasila Mohammed, Anjali Jain. AWARENESS AND ASSSESSMENT OF ORAL HYGEINE AND PERIODONTAL STATUS AMONG THE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN A J HOSPITAL CAMPUS, MANGALORE International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 09, May, 36-43
1. Park K. Park’s textbook of preventive and social medicine. 20th ed, (2009)BanarsidasBhanot, Jabalpur,12-48,708-723.
2. Schour I, Sarnat BG. Oral manifestations ofoccupational origin. J Am Med Assoc1942;120: 1197-1207.
3. Dini EL, Guimar es LO. Periodontal conditions and treatment needs(CPITN) in a worker population in Araraquara, SP, Brasil. Int Dent J 1994;44(4):309-11.
4. Shah N. Oral and dental diseases: Causes, Prevention and treatment strategies. NCMH Background papers-Burden of Disease in India. 2007;275-98
5. Marsh PD. Microbial Ecology of Dental Plaque and its Significance in Health and Disease. Adv Dent Res. 1994;8:263- 71.
6. Dharmashree S, Chandu GN, Pusphanjali K, Jayashree SH, Shafiulla MD. Periodontal status of industrial workers in Davangere City, Karnataka – a descriptive cross sectional study. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent. 2006;7:20-24.
7. Sood M. A Study of Epidemiological Factors Influencing Periodontal Diseases in selected Areas of District Ludhiana, Punjab. Indian J Community Med. 2005;30:70-71.
8. Agarwal V, Khatri M, Singh G, Gupta G, Marya CM, Kumar V. Prevalence of periodontal diseases in India. J Oral Health Comm Dent 2010;4:7-16.
9. Yoshida Y, Ogawa Y, Imaki M, Nakamura T, Tanada S. Lifestyles and Periodontal Disease of Japanese Factory Workers. Environ Health Prev Med 1997;1:188-92.
10. Rajala M. Occurrence of tooth loss, dental caries and need of operative dental treatment in an industrial population. Kuopio: Publications of the University of Koupio. Community Health. Series Original Reports 2/1977.103.
11. Knutsson A, Nilsson T. Tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke in relation to certain work characteristics. Scand J Soc Med 1998;26(3):183-89.
12. Ansari ZA, Bano SN, Zulkifle M. Prevalence of tobacco use among power loom workers - a cross-sectional study. Indian J Community Med 2010;35(1):34-39.
13. Mou J, Fellmeth G, Griffiths S, Dawes M, Cheng J. Tobacco Smoking Among Migrant Factory Workers in Shenzhen, China. Nicotine TobRes2012 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print].
14. Axelsson P, Paulander J, Lindhe J. Relationship between smoking and dental status in 35-, 50-, 65-, and 75-year old individuals. J ClinPeriodontol. 1998;25:297-305.
15. Bergstr.m J, Eliasson S, Dock J. Exposure to tobacco smoking and periodontal Loe H, Theilade E, Jensen SB. Experimental gingivitis in man. J ClinPeriodontol. 1965;36:177- 87.
16. Silness J, Loe H. Periodontal disease in pregnancy. Correlation between oral hygiene and periodontal condition. ActaOdontolScand1964;22:121-35