IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 10, May, 2015
DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES IN ASSESSMENT OF REACTIVE SOFT TISSUE LESIONS OF ORAL CAVITY
Author: Farhat Kazmi, Wajiha Alamgir, Muhammad Mumtaz
Category: General Sciences
Objective: The study emphasizes on the features which lead to diagnostic complexities of localized reactive hyperplastic lesions (LRHL) in clinical settings thus making histolopathological examination imperative for definite diagnosis.
Materials and Methods: A total of 314patients presenting with reactive hyperplastic lesions in out-patient department of University College of Dentistry from June 2012 to January 2015 were included in the study. After provisional diagnosis, lesions were excised and specimens were submitted for definite histopathological diagnosis. Descriptive statistics and Chi-square test was applied using SPSS version 20.0.
Results: Most common age group was 30-39 years (n=147, 50.6%) with male to female ratio of 1:3. Most affected site was maxillary gingivae (n=140, 49.3%) while poor oral hygiene (n=152, 52.4%) was most frequent aetiological factor. Provisional diagnoses included pyogenic granuloma (PG) with maximum number of cases (n=141, 45%) followed by focal fibrous hyperplasia(FFH) (n=118, 37%), peripheral giant cell granuloma(PGCG) (n= 34, 11%) and peripheral ossifying fibroma (POF) (n=21, 7%). After definite diagnosis, the order of occurrence of LRHL remained the same but the number of cases of each individual lesion carried a significant discrepancy with 157 histopathologically proven cases of PG (50%) followed by FFH (n=111, 36%), PGCG (n=29, 9%) and POF (n=17, 5%) respectively.
Conclusion: Variations in subjective assessment of LRHL could be lessened if histopathological examination is incorporated as a mandatory component in diagnostic protocol. Oral hygiene maintenance may also significantly improve the status of oral health
and diminish possible chances of development of pathologies.
Keywords: Hyperplastic lesions, Pyogenic granuloma, Focal fibrous hyperplasia, Peripheral giant cell granuloma, Peripheral ossifying fibroma
Farhat Kazmi, Wajiha Alamgir, Muhammad Mumtaz. DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES IN ASSESSMENT OF REACTIVE SOFT TISSUE LESIONS OF ORAL CAVITY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 10, May, 79-86
1. Bataineh A, Nawaf Z. Localized lesions of oral tissues: A clinicopathological study. J Contemp Dent Pract2005; 6: 1-8.
2. Al-Rawi NH. Localized reactive hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: A clinicopathological study of 636 lesions from Iraq. Internet Journal of Dental Science2008; 7.
3. Reddy V, SaxenaS, Sexena S, Reddy M. Reactive hyperplastic lesions of the oral cavity: A ten year observational study on North Indian population. J Clin Exp Dent2012; 4: e136- 40.
4. Buchner A, Shnaiderman-Shapiro A, Vered M. Relative frequency of localized reactive hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: a retrospective study of 1675 cases from Israel. J Oral Pathol Med2010;39: 631-8.
5. Ramu S, Rodrigues C. Reactive hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: A retrospective study of 260 cases. World J Dent2012; 3: 126-30.
6. Zarei MR, Chamani G, Amanpoor S. Reactive hyperplastic lesions of the oral cavity in Kerman Province, Iran: a review of 172 cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;45: 288-92.
7. Kashyap B, Reddy PS,Nalini P. Reactive lesions of oral cavity: a survey of 100cases in Eluru, West Godavari. Contemp Clin Dent 2012; 3: 294-7.
8. Pour MAH, Rad M, Mojtahedi A. A survey of soft tissue tumor-like lesions of oral cavity: A clinicopathological study. Iranian Journal of Pathology2008;3: 81-7.
9. Shahsavari F, Khourkiaee SS, Moridani SG. Epidemiologic study of benign softtissue tumors of oral cavity in Iranian population. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Pathology and Surgery 2012; 1: 10-15.
10. Rossmann JA. Reactive lesions of the gingiva: Diagnosis and treatment options. The Open Pathology Journal2011;5: 23- 32.
11. Buchner A, Calderon S, Ramon Y. Localized hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: A clinicopathological study of 302 lesions. J Periodontol1977;48: 101-4.
12. Kfir Y, Buchner A, Hansen L. Reactive lesions of the gingiva: A clinicopathological study of 741 cases. J Periodontol1980;51: 655-61.
13. Sudarshan R, Vijayabala GS, Kumar KSP. Inflammatory hyperplasia of oral cavity. Archives Medical Review Journal 2012; 21(4): 299-307.
14. Kale TA. Focal fibrous hyperplasia: a reactive lesion. Int J dent Clinics.2013;5: 29-30.
15. Peralles PG, Vianaa PB, Azevedo ALdR, Pires FR. Gingival and alveolar hyperplastic reactive lesions: clinicopathological study of 90 cases. Braz J Oral Sci 2006;5: 1085-9.
16. Akinyamoju AO, Adeyemi BF, Kolude B. Localized reactive lesions of the oral cavity: A review of 246 cases in Ibadan. The Internet Journal of Dental Science 2013; 12(1).
17. Jafarzadeh H, Snatkhani M, Mohtasham N. Oral pyogenic granuloma: a review. J Oral Sci2006; 48: 167-75.
18. Eversole LR. Pregnancy tumor: an anlysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol(1991;72: 196-9.
19. Kohli K, Christian A, Howell R. Peripheral ossifying fibroma associated with aneonatal tooth: case report. Pediatr Dent1998;20: 428-9.
20. Motamedi MHK, Eshghyar N. Peripheral and central giant cell granulomas of thejaws: a demographic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod2007;103: e39- e43.
21. Krahl D, Altenburg A, Zouboulis CC. Reactive hyperplasia, precancerous andmalignant lesions of the oral mucosa. J DtchDermatolGes2008;3: 217-30.
22. Flaitz CM. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a potentially aggressive lesion in children. Pediatr Dent2000;22: 232- 33.
23. Effiom OA, Adeyemo WL, Soyele OO. Focal reactive lesions of the gingiva: Ananalysis of 314 cases at a tertiary health institution in Nigeria. Niger Med J2011;52: 35-40.
24. Naderi NJ, Eshghyar N, Esfehanian H. Reactive lesions of the oral cavity: A retrospective study on 2068 cases. Dent Res J2012;9: 251-5.
25. Aghbali AA, Hosseini SV, Harasi B, Janani M, Mahmoudi SM. Reactive hyperplasia of the oral cavity: A survey of 197 cases in Tabriz, Northwest Iran. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2010;4: 87-9.
26. Amirchaghmaghi M, Mohtasham N, Mozafari PM, Dalisrani Z. Survey of reactive hyperplastic lesions of the oral cavity in Mashhad, Northeast Iran. J Dent Res Dent Clin DentProspects2011;5: 128-31.
27. Prasanna JS, Sehrawat S. Fibroepithelial hyperplasia: Rare, Self-limiting condition – Two case reports. J Adv Oral Research 2011; 2(3):63-9.
28. Karhl D, Altenburg A, Zouboulis CC. Reactive hyperplasia, Precancerous and Malignant lesions of the Oral mucosa. JDDG 2008; 3(6): 217-32.
29. Correa L, Moreira ML, Frigerio A, Cantanhede S, de Sousa OM, Noveli MD. Oral lesions in elderly population: a biopsy survey using 2250 histopathological records. Gerodontology 2006; 23(1): 48-54.