IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 11, June, 2015
Understanding the burden of caring people for patients with a stroke in the subacute and chronic phase in
Author: Inosha Bimali
Purpose: To determine the prevalence of caregiving burden among stroke caregivers in the subacute and chronic phase of stroke in Nepal. Methods: Fifty caregivers of subacute and chronic stroke were included in the study. Participants were asked to complete a caregiver strain index form. Results: Stata /MP 13.0 data analysis and statistical software was used to analyze the data. One sample t-test, two sample ttest and Pearson correlation test were used for the analysis. Level of significance <0.05 was considered statistically significant with 95% CI. Among the total participants (caregivers) 16% were male and 84% were female. Out of them 72 % were spouse and 28% were daughter-in-law. The mean Caregivers Strain Index score for female caregivers was marginally greater than that for male caregivers. Caregiver burden was found to be significantly high among both subacute (p= 0.0000) and chronic (p= 0.0000) stroke caregivers.
Conclusion: Female caregivers were more than male caregivers with overall Caregiver burden found to be significantly high among subacute and chronic stroke caregivers
Keywords: Subacute stroke, Chronic stroke, Caregivers, Caregiver strain index
Inosha Bimali. Understanding the burden of caring people for patients with a stroke in the subacute and chronic phase in
Nepal International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 11, June, 39-43
1. Reimer WJM, Haan RJ, Rijnders, Limburg M, Bos GAM. The Burden of Caregiving in Partners of Long-Term Stroke Survivors. Stroke 1998; 29:1605-11.
2. Bhattacharjee M, Vairale J, Gawali K, Dalal PM. Factors affecting burden on caregivers of stroke survivors: Population-based study in Mumbai (India). Ann Indian AcadNeurol 2012;15:113-9.
3. Hileman JW, Lackey NR, Hassanein RS. Identifying the needs of home caregivers of patients with cancer. OncolNurs Forum 1992;19:771-7.
4. Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach -Peterson J. Relatives of the impaired elderly: Correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist 1980;20:649-55.
5. Kelly-Hayes M, Beiser A, Kase CS, Scaramucci A, D’Agostino RB, Wolf PA. The influence of gender and age on disability following ischemic stroke: the Framingham study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003;12:119-26.
6. Wilkinson PR, Wolfe CD, Warburton FG, Rudd AG, Howard RS, Ross-Russell RW, Beech R. Longer term quality of life and outcome in stroke patients: is the Barthel index alone an adequate measure of outcome? Qual Health Care. 1997;6:125-30.
7. Dennis M, O’Rourke S, Lewis S, Sharpe M, Warlow C. A quantitative study of the emotional outcome of people caring for stroke survivors. Stroke 1998;29:1867-72.
8. Thommessen B, Wyller TB, Bautz-Holter E, Laake K. Acute phase predictors of subsequent psychosocial burden incarers of elderly stroke patients. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2001;11:201-6.
9. Blake H, Lincoln NB, Clarke DD. Caregiver strain in spouses of stroke patients. ClinRehabil 2003;17:312-17.
10. Bugge CRN, Alexander H, Hagen S. Stroke patients’ informal caregivers: patient, caregiver, and service factors that affect caregiver strain. Stroke 1999;30:1517-23.
11. Wilkinson PR, Charles DA, Wolfe, Fiona G. Warburton, Anthony G, et al. A long-term follow-up of stroke patients. Stroke 1997;28:507-12.
12. Visser-Meily A, Post M, van de Port I. Psychosocial functioning of spouses in the chronic phase after stroke:Improvement or deterioration between 1 and 3 years after stroke? Patient Education and Counseling 2008;73:153-8.
13. Das S, Hazra A, Ray BK, Ghosal M, Banerjee TK, Roy T, et al. Burden among stroke caregivers-results of a community based study from Kolkata, India. Stroke 2010;41:2965-8.
14. Robinson BC. Validation of a Caregiver Strain Index. J Gerontol 1983;38:344-8.
15. Dozois, David JA, Dobson, Keith S, Jamie L. A psychometric evaluation of the Beck Depression Inventory–II. Psychological Assessment 1998;10:83-9.
16. Wade DT, and Collin C. The Barthel ADL Index: A standard measure of physical disability? Disability and Rehabilitation. 1988;10:64-7. 17. Rigby H, Gubitz G, Phillips S. A systematic review of caregiver burden following stroke.Int J Stroke. 2009;4:285- 92.
18. Poulshock SW, Deimling GT. Families caring for elders in residence: issues in the measurement of burden. J Gerontol. 1984;39:230–239.
19. Seltzer MM, Wailing Li L. The transitions of caregiving: subjective and objective definitions. Gerontologist. 1996;36:614–626.
20. Scholte WJ M et.al. The Burden of Caregiving in Partners of Long-Term Stroke Survivors. Stroke.1998; 29: 1605-11.