IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 2015
LEVEL OF SERUM CREATINE PHOSPHOKINASE IN ORAL SUBMUCOUS FIBROSIS - A BIOCHEMICAL STUDY
Author: Biju Baby Joseph, Shiny George
Context: Oral squamous cell carcinomas develop from a premalignant lesion or condition, which are due to a variety of aetiological factors. Early detection of these are necessary to prevent them from developing into carcinomas which can increase the mortality and morbidity. There are a variety of possible aids like histopathology, Hstiochemistry and Enzyme assays in diagnosing these lesions. Histopathology has many limitations which can be overlookd by an enzyme assay technique. Keeping this in mind a study was planned to evaluate the association between serum creatine phosphokinase and a premalignant condition.
Aim and objective: To evaluate creatine phosphokinase level in patients with Oral Submucous Fibrosis and to compare it with the normal subjects
Methodology: Routine out patients visiting the department of oral medicine and radiology, coorg institute of dental sciences, Virajpet in the age range of 40-60 years old males. They were grouped and samples were collected and sent for analysis.
Result: We could not find any statistical significance in the study .
Conclusion: A multicentered study consisitng of a large sample is needed to emphasise the importance of creatine phosphokinase as a diagnostic biomarker in Oral Submucous Fibrosis
Keywords: Premalignant lesions, Enzymes, Oral submucous fibrosis
Biju Baby Joseph, Shiny George. LEVEL OF SERUM CREATINE PHOSPHOKINASE IN ORAL SUBMUCOUS FIBROSIS - A BIOCHEMICAL STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 74-78
1. Wei Liu†, Yu-Feng Wang. Malignant transformation of oral leukoplakia a retrospective cohort study of 218 Chinese patients. BMC Cancer , 2010; 10:685.
2. Sunil P.R ,et al. Current Trends in Diagnosis of Oral Cancer and Premalignant Lesions: An Update. JDSOR, July-September 2014;5(3):120-124.
3. K. Venkatakrishna, V. B. Kartha. HPLC-LIF for early detection of oral Cancer. CURRENT SCIENCE, February 2003 : 84( 4) 25
. 4. Crispian scully, Updates. November 2010,9 (4).
5. Syed Salman H , S. Nazia Ambreen,. The clinical and Morphological study of 75 cases of oral premalignant lesions. J of Evolution of Med and Dent Sci. February 2105,4 (14) 2278-4748.
6. Goyal D1, Goyal. An update on precancerous lesions of oral cavity. IJMDS. January 2013; 2(1).
7. Spoorthi B R , Vidya M. serum Creatinine Phosphokinase : A Potential diagnostic tool for oral premalignant lesions ?- A histopathological biochemical study. Indian J Stomatol.2011 ;2 (2): 86-90.
8. M. KRISHNAN NAIR, CHERIAN VARGHESE. Cancer: Current scenario, intervention strategies and projection for 2015. NCMH Background Papers·Burden of Disease in India.
9. Sonalee Shah, Manpreet Kaur. Biomarkers and chemopreventives in oral carcinogenesis and its prevention. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial pathology.Jan- April 2014 18 (1).
10. Thiagarajan Hemalatha, Thaiagamoorhty Uma Mahashawary. Enzymes in clinical Medicine – An Overview. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. October 2013. 51:777-788.
11. Willie L. Ruff, PhD, Roger Worrell, MD. Diagnostic Value of Creatine Phosphokinase (CPK) lsoenzymes in the Absence of Elevated Total CPK.Journal of the National Medical Association. 1979.71 (4).
12. Paola Brancaccio1, Giuseppe Lippi, Biochemical markers of muscular damage. Clin Chem Lab Med 2010;48(6).
13. Michael C Herbst , cansa, February 2015.
14. Sasan Partovi1, Anja-Carina Schulte, Impaired skelet al muscle microcirculation ic systemic sclerosis, Arthritis Research & Therapy 2012, 14:R209
15. Fethi Abed ALGani. Significance of Total Creatine Kinase and Creatine kinase-MB Levels In Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction. Int J Biol Med Res. 2011; 2(3): 762-765.
16. A. F. Smith, D. Radford. Creatine kinase MB isoenzyme studies in diagnosis of myocardial infarction. British Heart Journal, 1976, 38, 225-232
17. J Joseph’, A Cardesa2 and J Carreras1. Creatine kinase activity and isoenzymes in lung, colon and liver carcinomas. British Joumal of Cancer (1997) 76(5), 600-605
18. A. ARTHUR J. SIEGEL, M.D., LAWRENCE M. SILVERMAN. Creatine Kinase Elevations in Marathon Runners: Relationship to Training and Competition. TIHEYALE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE 53 (1980), 275-279
19. Nosratollah Zarghami.Prognostic value of BB isoenzyme in epithelial overian carcinoma.the Canadian Journal of Oncology, September 19915 :5 (3).
20. Dean Dessem1, 2 and RichardM, Lovering. RepeatedMuscle Injury as a Presumptive Trigger for ChronicMasticatoryMuscle Pain, Pain Research and Treatment, 2011.
21. V V Kamath,1 K Satelur,1 and Y Komali. Biochemical markers in oral submucous fibrosis: A review and update. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2013 Sep-Oct; 10(5): 576–584.
22. Rasika Priyadharshani Ekanayaka. Oral Submucous Fibrosis: Review on Mechanisms of Pathogenesis and Malignant Transformation. J Carcinogene Mutagene 2013, S5.