IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 2015
INVESTIGATION OF AN OUTBREAK OF CHOLERA IN SANKHEDA VILLAGE OF CHHOTAUDEPUR DISTRICT, GUJARAT
Author: Nikhil Patel, Bhavesh Shroff, V.S. Mazumdar
Aim: Investigation of an outbreak of Cholera in Sankheda village of Chhotaudepur district, Gujarat
Introduction: Diarrheal disease outbreaks are causes of major public health emergencies in India. We investigated such outbreak in Sankheda village of Chhotaudepur district, Gujarat to identify the etiological agent, source of transmission and propose control measures.
Methodology: This study was conducted by a rapid response team as an investigation of outbreak to find out the root cause during the emergency response. The information was entered and analyzed anonymously. The study was implemented in collaboration with the district health officials
Results and Conclusion: The outbreak was caused by Vibrio cholerae 01 Biotype Ogawa. Cases were localized to clusters of village depending on distribution of contaminated water.
Keywords: Cholera, Contaminated water
Nikhil Patel, Bhavesh Shroff, V.S. Mazumdar. INVESTIGATION OF AN OUTBREAK OF CHOLERA IN SANKHEDA VILLAGE OF CHHOTAUDEPUR DISTRICT, GUJARAT International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 54-57
1. Islam MS, Miah MA, Hasan MK, Albert MJ., Detection of non-culturable Vibrio cholera 01 associated with a cyanobacterium from an aquatic environment in Bangladesh. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine And Hygiene. 1994; 88:298-299.
2. Faruque SM, Albert MJ, Mekalanos JJ., Epidemiology, genetics and ecology of toxogenic Vibrio cholera.Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews.1998;62:1301-1314
3. Morillon M, De Pina JJ, Husser JA, Baundet JM, Bertherat E, Martet G., Djibouti, histoire de deuxepidemies de cholera:1993-1994. Bull Soc Path Ex.1998;91:407-411.
4. Islam MS, Drasar B, Bradley SR. Probable role of Bluegreen algae in maintaining endemicity and seasonality of cholera in Bangladesh: a hypothesis. J Diarrhoel Dis Res. 1994;12:245-256.
5. Washington State University institutional Review Board (IRB).Definitions, Washington State University, Pullman WA. (Internet) Available from : http:/www.irb.wsu.edu/ definitions.asp(updated May 2010), (Last cited on 2011 August 19).
6. Snider DE Jr, Stroup DF. Defining research when it comes to public health. Public Health Rep 1997;112;29-32 (PUBMED)(FULL TEXT).
7. Hamner S, Tripathi A, Mishra RK, Bouskill N, Broadway SC, Pyle BH, et al. The role of water use patterns and sewage pollution in incidence of water- borne/ enteric disease along the Ganges River in Varansi, India. Int J Environ Health Res 2006:16:113-32 (PUBMED)(FULL TEXT).
8. Integrated Disease Surveillance Project, India. Modified case definition for p-form(internet). Medical officers’ Manual, IDSP, 2006. Available from: http://www.idsp.nic.in/idsp/ IDSP/Case_Def_P_Form.pdf. (Updated 2008); (Last cited on 2011 June 21).