IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 2015
ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN DIAGNOSIS OF THYROID NODULE
Author: Karthikesh S., N.S. Kannan, C.P. Ganesh Babu, M. Palaniappan
Introduction: The prevalence of clinically palpable thyroid nodules is approximately 4–7%, but the prevalence of ultrasound-detectable nodules is 19 to 67%. FNAC is widely accepted and has become cornerstone in evaluation of thyroid nodules, because it is a simple and accurate screening test with high sensitivity and specificity in the preoperative evaluation of thyroid lesions. Ultrasound guided FNAC is the most cost-effective and accurate way to evaluate thyroid nodules.
Aim: This study was done in an attempt to identify the Sensitivity, Specificity, Positive predictive value, Negative predictive value and diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound guided FNAC of thyroid nodules and to correlate with the findings of previous authors.
Methodology: Thirty two patients with age group greater than 15 years of age presenting with thyroid nodules were included in the study. Ultrasound Guided FNAC was done for all the patients before surgery. Results of Ultrasound Guided FNAC and Histopathology were tabulated and statically analysed to identify the Sensitivity, Specificity, Positive predictive value, Negative predictive value and Diagnostic Accuracy of ultrasound guided FNAC of thyroid nodules.
Results: Female patients were dominant when compared to male patients. The mean age was 49 and 44 for female and male patients respectively. The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value and diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound guided FNAC of the thyroid swelling were 87.5%, 91.67%, 77.78%, 95.65% and 90.62% respectively.
Conclusion: In our study, ultrasound guided FNAC proved to be a better modality for diagnosing the etiology in thyroid nodules that gave a high accuracy rate of 90.62%. Further more studies are needed with the larger sample size to confirm it.
Keywords: Thyroid nodule, Ultrasound guided FNAC, Sensitivity, Specificity, Positive predictive value, Negative predictive value, Diagnostic accuracy
Karthikesh S., N.S. Kannan, C.P. Ganesh Babu, M. Palaniappan. ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN DIAGNOSIS OF THYROID NODULE International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 13, July, 01-08
1. Tan GH, Gharib H. Thyroid incidentalomas: management approaches to nonpalpable nodules discovered incidentally on thyroid imaging. Ann Intern Med. 1997 Feb 1;126(3):226–31.
2. Hegedus L. Clinical practice. The thyroid nodule. N Engl J Med. 2004 Oct 21;351(17):1764–71.
3. Ron E, Lubin JH, Shore RE, Mabuchi K, Modan B, Pottern LM, et al. Thyroid cancer after exposure to external radiation: a pooled analysis of seven studies. Radiat Res. 1995 Mar;141(3):259–77.
4. Schneider AB, Bekerman C, Leland J, Rosengarten J, Hyun H, Collins B, et al. Thyroid nodules in the follow-up of irradiated individuals: comparison of thyroid ultrasound with scanning and palpation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.1997 Dec;82(12):4020–7.
5. Hemminki K, Eng C, Chen B. Familial risks for nonmedullary thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Oct;90(10):5747–53.
6. Diamantis A, Magiorkinis E, Koutselini H. Fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy: historical aspects. Folia Histochem Cytobiol Pol Acad Sci Pol Histochem Cytochem Soc. 2009;47(2):191–7.
7. Leenhardt L, Hejblum G, Franc B, Fediaevsky LD, Delbot T, Le Guillouzic D, et al. Indications and limits of ultrasoundguided cytology in the management of nonpalpable thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Jan;84(1):24–8.
8. Silverman JF, West RL, Finley JL, Larkin EW, Park HK, Swanson MS, Fine-needle aspiration versus large-needle biopsy or cutting biopsy in evaluation of thyroid nodules. Diagn Cytopathol. 1986 Mar;2(1):25-30.
9. Tariq M, Iqbal MZ, Ali MZ, Anwar M. FNAC of thyroid nodule; diagnostic accuracy of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC). Prof Med J. 2010 Oct;17(4):589.
10. Camargo RY, Tomimori EK, Knobel M, Medeiros-Neto G. Preoperative assessment of thyroid nodules: role of ultrasonography and fine needle aspiration biopsy followed by cytology. Clin Sao Paulo Braz. 2007 Aug;62(4):411–8.
11. Gupta M, Gupta S, Gupta VB. Correlation of fine needle aspiration cytology with histopathology in the diagnosis of solitary thyroid nodule. J Thyroid Res. 2010 Apr 18;2010:379051. doi: 10.4061/2010/379051.
12. KC S, Karki R, Rayamajhi P, Rai K, Piya E. Role FNAC in the Diagnosis of Thyroid Malignancy and its Comaprision with Histopathology. Nepal J ENT Head Neck Surg. 2012 Jun;3(1):9–10.
13. Chandanwale S, Singh N, Kumar H, Pradhan P, Gore C, Rajpal M. Clinicopatholological correlation of thyroid nodules. Int J Pharm Biomed Sci. 2012;3(3):97–102. 14. Rajbhandari M, Dhakal P, Shrestha S, Sharma S, Shrestha S, Pokharel M, et al. The correlation between fine needle aspiration cytology and histopathology of head and neck lesions in Kathmandu University Hospital. Kathmandu Univ Med J KUMJ. 2013 Dec;11(44):296–9.
15. Braga M, Cavalcanti TC, Collaço LM, Graf H. Efficacy of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of complex thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Sep;86(9):4089–91.
16. Izquierdo R, Arekat MR, Knudson PE, Kartun KF, Khurana K, Kort K, et al. Comparison of palpation-guided versus ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules in an outpatient endocrinology practice. Endocr Pract Off J Am Coll Endocrinol Am Assoc Clin Endocrinol. 2006 Dec;12(6):609–14.
17. Krishnappa P, Ramakrishnappa S, Kulkarni MH. Comparison of free hand versus ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of thyroid with histopathological correlation. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol Off Organ Int Soc Environ Toxicol Cancer. 2013;32(2):149–55.
18. Cesur M, Corapcioglu D, Bulut S, Gursoy A, Yilmaz AE, Erdogan N, et al. Comparison of palpation-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy to ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. Thyroid Off J Am Thyroid Assoc. 2006 Jun;16(6):555–61.
19. Can AS. Cost-effectiveness comparison between palpationand ultrasound-guided thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsies. BMC Endocr Disord. 2009, 9:14 doi:10.1186/1472- 6823-9-14.