IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 15, August, 2015
NATURAL RESISTANCE ASSOCIATED MACROPHAGE PROTEIN 1 POLYMORPHISM SUSCEPTIBILITY TO MULTI DRUG RESISTANCE TUBERCULOSIS IN SOUTH INDIAN POPULATION: A CASE -CONTROL
Author: Rooth Vasantha M., G. Sudhakar, S. Sridevi
Aim: To know the association of NRAMP1 gene polymorphisms in MDR-TB Patients.
Methodology: Studies on NRAMP1 (Natural Resistance Associated Macrophage Protein1 or SLC11A1 revealed its function on macrophage activation and its association with infectious diseases. A case-control study was carried out to find the association of NRAMP1 gene with MDR-TB belonging to Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh, India. Genetic polymorphisms of NRAMP1 gene 3’UTR and 274 CT were analysed using Polymerase Chain Reaction-Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism
Results: Significant statistical difference in the 3’UTR polymorphism between MDR-TB patients and healthy controls was observed. (P=0.001, OR=0.691,95%CI=0.077-6.208). But no significant association was found between the disease and 274 CT polymorphism (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Significant association of MDR-TB with 3’UTR polymorphism of NRAMP1 gene was identified, while no significant association was observed in 274CT polymorphism of NRAMP1 gene. Further study with large sample size is required to confirm the above results.
Keywords: NRAMP1, 3’UTR, 274CT, MDR-TB
Rooth Vasantha M., G. Sudhakar, S. Sridevi. NATURAL RESISTANCE ASSOCIATED MACROPHAGE PROTEIN 1 POLYMORPHISM SUSCEPTIBILITY TO MULTI DRUG RESISTANCE TUBERCULOSIS IN SOUTH INDIAN POPULATION: A CASE -CONTROL
STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 15, August, 32-35
1. WHO .2013.Global tuberculosis report.
2. WHO.2014.Multi Drug and Extensively drug-resistance TB 2014. Global Report on Surveillance and Response 2014.
3. Article on Tuberculosis in Hindu Newspaper Magazine dated March 15/2015.Pg:4
4. Blackwell J et al., 1995. Genomic Organisation and Sequence of the Human NRAMP gene: Identification and mapping of a promoter region polymorphism. Mol Med.1:194–205.
5. Gruenheid S et al., Natural resistance to infection with intracellular pathogens; the NRAMP1 protein is recruited to the membrane of the phagosome. J. Exp Med 1997; 4:717-30.
6. Hackam D et al., Host resistance to intracellular infection: mutation of natural resistance associated macrophage protein 1(Nramp1) impairs phagosomal acidification. J.Exp Med 1998; 188:351-64.
7. Rahayu Anggraini et al., 2010. Polymorphism of Natural-resistance-Associated Macrophage Protien1 (NRAMP1)D543N gene and expression of NRAMP1 on Lung Tuberculosis Patients and Nurses in Surabaya. Folia Medica Indonesiana.Vol.46 No.2:78- 87.
8. Mendez AP et al., Global Surveillance for anti tuberculosis dug resistance, 1994-1997. N.Eng J Med.1998; 338:1641-49.
9. Jawahar MS. Multi drug resistance tuberculosis. ICMR bull 1999. 29:10-11.
10. Ramachandran R, Balasubramanian R. Chemotherapy of Resistant tuberculosis; the tuberculosis research center experience over 40 years. Indian J Tub 2000;47:201-10.
11. H.S. Subhas et al., Clinical characteristics and treatment response among patients with multi drug resistant tuberculosis; A retrospective study. India chest Dis Allied Sci 2003, 45:97-103.
12. Gilad J, Borer A, Riesenberg K, Peled N, schlaeffer F. Epidemiology and ethnic distribution of multidrug resistant tuberculosis in southern Israel,1992-1997. Chest 2000;117:738-43.
13. Suchindran S, Brouwer ES, Van Rie A .2009. Is HIV Infection a Risk Factor for Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis? A Systematic Review PLoS One 4 (5): e5561.
14. Vejbaesya S, Chierakul N, Luangtrakool P, Sermduangprateep C. 2007. NRAMPI and TNF-Alpha polymorphisms and susceptibility to tuberculosis in Thais. Respiratory.12:202-206.
15. W. Liu, W.C. Cao and et al. 2004. VDR and NRAMP1 gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis among the Chinese Han population: a case-control study. The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease: the official journal of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. Vol: 8:428.
16. Ryu S et al., 2000. 3’UTR Polymorphisms in the NRAMP1 gene are associated with susceptibility to tuberculosis in Koreans. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis.4:577-580.
17. Govoni G, Gros P. Macrophage NRAMP1 and its role in resistance to microbial infections. Inflamm Res 1998.47:277–84.
18. Kuhn DE, et al., Iron transport into Mycobacterium aviumcontaining phagosomes from an Nramp1 (Gly169)- transfected RAW264.7 macrophage cell line. J Leukocyte Biol 2001.69:43– 9.
19. Hackam DJ et al., Host resistance to intracellular infection: mutation of natural resistance-associated macrophage protein 1(Nramp1) impairs phagosomal acidification. J Exp Med 1998.188:351–64.
20. Barton CH, Whitehead SH, Blackwell JM. Nramp transfection transfers Ity/Lsh/Bcg-related pleiotropic effects on macrophage activation: influence on oxidative burst and nitric oxide pathways. Mol Med 1995.1:267–79.