IJCRR - 7(16), August, 2015
SWEYER JAMES SYNDROME- A CASE REPORT
Author: Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Hariprasad Kalpakkam, Balla Nagamalli Kumar, Suryakala Narayanaswamy, Manju R., Dharm Prakash Dwivedi
Unilateral hyperlucency on a chest x ray is not a uncommon occurrence. The causes vary from a simple rotation to a potentially life threatening pulmonary embolism. Sweyer James syndrome is one of the less known causes for unilateral hyperlucent lung which results as a sequlae to recurrent respiratory tract infections in childhood. We describe a patient with sweyer James syndrome who had no significant respiratory infections since childhood.
Keywords: Swyer james syndrome, Unilateral hyperlucency, CT chest
Vishnukanth Govindaraj, Hariprasad Kalpakkam, Balla Nagamalli Kumar, Suryakala Narayanaswamy, Manju R., Dharm Prakash Dwivedi. SWEYER JAMES SYNDROME- A CASE REPORT International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(16), August, 59-61
1. www.radiopedia.org/articles/sweyer james syndrome. ACCESSED ON 1.5.2015.
2. Swyer PR, James GC. A case of unilateral pulmonary emphysema. Thorax 1953;8:133–136.
3. Kanwal Fatima Khalil and WaseemSaeed.Swyer-James-MacLeod Syndrome. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan 2008, Vol. 18 (3): 190-192.
4. Schlesinger C, Veeraraghavan S, Koss MN. Constructive (obliterative) bronchiolitis.CurrOpinPulm Med 1998;4:288–293.
5. Abba AA, Al-Mobeireek AF. Clinical spectrum of Swyer-JamesMacLeod syndrome in adults. Saudi Med J 2003; 24:195-8.
6. Schlesinger C, Meyer CA, Veeraraghavan S, Koss MN. Constrictive (obliterative) bronchiolitis: diagnosis, etiology, and a critical review of the literature. Ann Diagn Pathol 1998;2:321– 334.
7. Mathur S, Gupta SK, Sarda M, Jaipal U. Swyer-James-Macleod syndrome with emphysematous bulla. J Indian Med Assoc 1995;93:150–154.
8. Sulaiman A, Cavaille A, Vaunois B, Tiffet O. Swyer–James–MacLeod syndrome; repeated chest drainages in a patient misdiagnosed with pneumothorax. Interact Cardio Vasc Thorac Surg 2009;8:482–484.
9. Umesh C. Parashari, Ragini Singh, AnitParihar, Pallavi Aga, Rajesh Yadav. Diagnostic role of magnetic resonance angiography in Swyer James syndrome: Case series of two cases. Lung India. 2010 Jul-Sep; 27(3): 161–163.
10. Arslan N, Ilgan S, Ozkan M, Yuksekol I, Bulakbasi N, Pabuscu Y, et al. Utility of ventilation and perfusion scan in the diagnosis of young military recruits with an incidental finding of hyperlucent lung. Nucl Med Commun. 2001;22:525–30.
11. Gopinath A, Strigun D, Banyopadhyay T. Swyer-James syndrome. Conn Med 2005; 69:325-7.