IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 17, September, 2015
HISTOPATHOLOGICAL STUDY OF SALIVARY GLAND LESIONS
Author: Dave P.N., Parikh U.R., Goswami H.M., Jobanputra G.P., Panchal N.V., Shah A.M.
Objective: The aim of the present study is to determine the incidence of Parotid gland lesions and study their morphology.
Material and Method: A study of 60 cases of Parotid gland tumors from January 2012 to December 2014 was carried out in pathology department of our hospital. A tissue bit was taken after detailed clinical history and physical examination. After routine tissue processing and H and E staining, histopathological diagnosis was made.
Results: Prevalence of salivary gland tumors in our study was 0.47 %. Benign salivary gland tumors comprised 71.6 % of all parotid gland tumors and malignant tumors accounted for 28.4 %. Pleomorphic adenoma was 46.67% and Mucoepidermoid carcinoma was11.67% of all Parotid gland neoplasms. Most of the benign neoplasms occurred in 3rd decade, while the malignant neoplasms more common in 5th decade. Males were more commonly affected than females.
Conclusion: Parotid gland tumors are relatively less common and they exhibit a wide variety of microscopic appearances even within one particular lesion. Accurate diagnosis is essential as parotid gland neoplasms have diverse clinical and prognostic outcomes.
Keywords: Salivary gland, Pleomorphic adenoma, Warthin tumour
Dave P.N., Parikh U.R., Goswami H.M., Jobanputra G.P., Panchal N.V., Shah A.M.. HISTOPATHOLOGICAL STUDY OF SALIVARY GLAND LESIONS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 17, September, 45-51
1. Chapter in book: Juan Rosai. Chapter-12 In : Rosai and Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology, Tenth Edition, Volume I, Major and Minor Salivary gland; Mosby; Elsevier; 2011: 817-842.
2. Chapter in book: Stephen Sternberg. Chapter- 20 In : Diagnostic Surgical Pathology, Sixth Edition, Volume I, Salivary gland; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; Philadelphia; 2015: 906-946.
3. Agrwal RV, Solanki BR, Junnakar RV. Salivary Gland tumor. Ind J cancer 1967;4:209-213.
4. Solange SL, Andrea FS, Rivadaxia FB, Roseana DA. Epidemiologic profile of salivary gland neoplasms: analysis of 245 cases. Rev Bras Otorhinolaryngo 2005: 71(3): 335-340.
5. Amos B, Philip WM, William MC. Relative frequency of intraoral minor salivary gland tumors: a study of 380 cases from Northern California and comparison to reports from other parts of the world. J Oral Pathol Med 2007:36(4): 207-214.
6. F A Ito, P A Vargas, O P de Almeid and M A Lopes, Salivary Gland tumors in Brazilian population: a retrospective study of 496 cases. International journal of oral and maxillofacial surg 2005; 34(5):533-536.
7. Edda A M vahahula, Salivary Gland tumors in Uganda: Clinical Pathological Study. African health sciences. April 2004; 4(1):15-23.
8. Shafkat Ahmed, Mohmmad Lateef, Rouf Ahmad. Clinicopathological study of primary salivary gland tumors in Kashmir. JK Practitioner 2002;9(4):231-233.
9. Nagarkar M Nitin, Bansal Sandeep, Dass Arjun, Singhal k Surinder, Mohan harsh. Salivary Gland tumors: Our experience. Indian J Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg 2004; 56(1):31-34.
10. Erik G. Kohen, MD; Snehal G Patel, MD; Oscar Lin, MD; Jay O. Boyle, MD; Dennis H.Kraus, MD. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of Salivary Gland lesions in selected patient population; Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.2004;130-773-778.
11. Mohhmed Ayub Musain, Zahid Sohail, Abbas Zafar and Shoukat Malik, Morphological pattern of Parotid tumors. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons 2008;18 (5):274-277.
12. Kornevs Eglis, Tars Juris, Lauskis Gunars. Treatment of Parotid Gland tumors in Latvian Oncological Center Stomatologija, Baltic Dental and Maxillofacial Journal 2005;7:110-114.
13. Das K Dilip, Petkar A Mahir, Al Mane M Nadra, Sheik A Zaffar and Malik K Mrinmay. Role of Fine Needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of swellings in the salivary gland regions: A study of 712 cases. Med Princ Pract 2004; 13: 95-106.
14. Ethundan M, Pratt CA, Macpherson DW. Changing frequency of Parotid Gland Neoplasms: analysis of 560 tumors treated in a district general hospital. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2002;84:1-6.
15. Schoeman BJ and Clifford SD. The incidence of malignancy in salivary gland neoplasms. South Afr J Surg.2007; 45(4):134- 135