IJCRR - 7(18), September, 2015
EVALUATION OF PARTIALLY PURIFIED SUBABUL PROTEASE INHIBITORS AS BIO INSECTICIDAL TOOL WITH POTENTIAL FOR THE CONTROL OF SPODOPTERA LITURA
Author: Arti Vasudev, Satwinder K. Sohal
The present study investigated the growth inhibitory potential of partially purified protease inhibitors from Subabul (Leucaena leucocephala) on Common cutworm Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) which has attained major pest status in India. Second instar larvae given treated diet (25, 50 100, 200, 400 and 800 μg/ml) showed a decrease in larval period with increase in concentration when compared with control whereas total developmental period increased at lower concentrations but decreased at 400 and 800μg/ml in comparison to control. The percentage pupation and emergence of females was inhibited and longevity of adults was reduced with increase in concentration. Percentage of male emergence increased significantly at highest concentration in comparison to control. No egg laying was observed at 400 and 800μg/ml concentrations. A significant decline in percent hatching upto 200μg/ml was noticed. The relative growth rate, consumption rate and efficiency of conversion of ingested and digested
food was significantly reduced. The present findings clearly confirmed the potential of the inhibitor for pest control.
Keywords: Leucaena leucocephala, Spodoptera litura, Growth and development, Bioinsecticide, Protease inhibitors
Arti Vasudev, Satwinder K. Sohal. EVALUATION OF PARTIALLY PURIFIED SUBABUL PROTEASE INHIBITORS AS BIO INSECTICIDAL TOOL WITH POTENTIAL FOR THE CONTROL OF SPODOPTERA LITURA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(18), September, 31-37
1. Bhavani, P., Bhattacharjee, C., Prasad, D.T. (2007). Bioevaluation of partially purified subabul proteinase inhibitors on Helicoverpa armigera. Arthropod Plant Interaction, 1: 255-261.
2. Bhavani, P., Prasad, D.T. (2012). Effect of partially purified Subabul (Leucaena leucocephala) proteinase inhibitors on Helicoverpa armigera and different fungal species. Trends in Biosciences, 5: 312-314.
3. Boulter, D. (1993). Insect pest control by copying nature using genetically engineered crops. Phytochemistry, 34: 1453-1466.
4. Bown, D.P., Wilkinson, H.S., Gatehouse, J.A. (1997). Differentially regulated inhibitor-sensitive and insensitive protease genes from the phytophagous insect pest, Helicoverpa armigera, are members of complex multigene families. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 27: 625-638.
5. Broadway, R.M. (1995). Are insects resistant to plant proteinase inhibitors? Journal of Insect Physiology, 41: 107–116.
6. Broadway, R.M. (1997). Dietary regulation of serine proteinases that are resistant to serine proteinase inhibitors. Journal of Insect Physiology, 43: 847-858.
7. Broadway, R.M., Duffey, S.S. (1986). The effect of dietary protein on the growth and digestive physiology of larval Heliothis zea and Spodoptera exigua. Journal of Insect Physiology, 32: 673–680.
8. Burgess, E.P.J., Steven, P.S., Keen, G.K., Laing, W.A., Christeller, J.T. (1991). Effects of protease inhibitors and dietary protein level on the black field cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 61: 123-130.
9. Da Silva, W., Freire, M.G.M., Parra, J.R.P., Marangoni, S., Macedo, M.L.R. (2012). Evaluation of the Adenanthera pavonina seed proteinase inhibitor (ApTI) as a bio insecticidal tool with potential for the control of Diatraea saccharalis. Process Biochemistry, 47: 257-263.
10. Elumalai, K., Krishnappa, K., Anandan, A., Govindarajan, M., Mathivanam, T. (2010). Certain essential oil against the field pest army worm, Spodoptera litura (Lepidopetra: noctuidae). International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, 2: 56-62.
11. Gokulkrishnan, J., Krishnappa, K., Elumalai, K. (2012). Effect of plant oil formulations against armyworm, Spodoptera litura (Fab.), Cotton bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera (Hub.) and fruit borer, Earias vitella (Fab.) (Lepidopetra:Noctuidae). International Journal of Current Life Sciences, 2: 1-4.
12. Hilder, V.A., Boulter, D. (1999). Genetic engineering of crop plants for insect resistance a critical review. Crop Protection, 18, 177-191.
13. Hilder, V.A., Gatehouse, A.M.R., Boulter, D. (1992). Transgenic plants conferring insect tolerance: protease inhibitor approach. In: Kung, S., Wu, R., editors. Transgenic plants. New York (NY): Academic Press, pp. 310-338.
14. Koul, O., Shankar, J.S., Mehta, N., Taneja, S.C., Tripathi, A.K., Dhar, K.L. (1997). Bioefficacy of crude extracts of Aglaia species (Meliaceae) and some active fractions against lepidopteran larvae. Journal of Applied Entomology, 121: 245–248.
15. Koul, O., Singh, G., Singh, R., Multani, J. (2005). Bioefficacy and mode of action of aglaroxin A from Aglaia elaeagnoidea (syn. A. roxburghiana) against Helicoverpa armigera and Spodoptera litura, Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 114: 197–204.
16. Koul, O., Singh, G., Singh, R., Singh, J., Daniewski, W., Berlozecki, S. (2004). Bioefficacy and mode-of-action of some limonoids of salannin group from Azadirachta indica A. Juss and their role in a multi component system against lepidopteran larvae. Journal of Biosciences, 29: 409–416.
17. Lazarevic, J., Peric-Mataruga, V. (2003). Nutritive stress effects on growth and digestive physiology of Lymantria dispar larvae. Yugoslav Medical Biochemistry, 22: 53–59.
18. Lowry, O.H., Rosenbrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 193: 265–275.
19. Macedo, M.L.R., Freire, M.D.G.M., Cabrini, E.C., Toyama, M.H., Novello, J.C., Marangoni, S. (2003). A trypsin inhibitor from Peltophorum dubium seeds active against pest protease and its effect on the survival of Anagasta kuehniella (Lepidoptera:Pyralidae). Biochimica Biophysica Acta, 1621: 170-182.
20. Macedo, M.L.R., Mello, G.C., Freire, M.G.M., Novello, J.C., Marangoni, S., Matos, D.G.G. (2002). Effect of a trypsin inhibitor from Dimorphandra mollis seeds on the development of Callosobruchus maculatus. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 40: 891-898.
21. Mittal, A., Kansal, R., Kalia, V., Tripathi, M., Gupta, V.K. (2014). A kidney bean trypsin inhibitor with an insecticidal potential against Helicoverpa armigera and Spodoptera litura, Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 36: 525-539.
22. Nandeesha, P., Prasad, D.T. (2001). Characterization of serine proteinase inhibitor from subabul (Leucaena leucocephala, L.) sedds. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 10: 75- 78.
23. Oliva, M.L., Souza-pinto, J.C., Batista, I.F., araujo, M.s., Silveria, V.F., Aureswald, E.A., mantele, R., Eckerskorn, C., Sampaio, M.U., Sampaio, C.A. (2000). Leucaena leucocephala serine proteinase inhibitor: primary structure and action on blood coagulation kinin release and rat paw edema. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1477: 64-74.
24. Ortego, F., Novillo, C., Castafiera, P. (1996). Characterization and distribution of digestive proteases of the stalk com borer Sesamia nonagrioides Lef. (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, 33: 163–180.
25. Pandey, P. K., Singh, D., Singh, S., Khan, M.Y., Jamal, F. (2014). A nonhost peptidase inhibitor of 14 kDa from Butea monosperma (Lam.) Taub. seeds affects negatively the growth and developmental physiology of Helicoverpa armigera. Biochemistry Research International, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/361821
26. Paulillo, L.C.M.S., Sebbenn, A.M., Derbyshire, M.T.V.C., GoesNeto, A., Brotto, M.A.P., Figueira, A. (2012). Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo effects of semipurified proteinase inhibitors from Theobroma seeds on midgut protease activity of lepidopteran pest insects. Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, 81: 34-52.
27. Paulino da Silva, L., Leite, J.R.S.A., Bloch, C. Jr., Maria de Freitas, S. (2001). Stability of a black eyed pea trypsin/chymotrypsin inhibitor (BTCI). Protein and Peptide Letters, 8: 33–38.
28. Pompermayer, P., Lopes, A.R., Terra, W.R., Parra, J.R.P., Falco, M.C., Silva-Filho, M.C. (2001). Effects of soybean proteinase inhibitor on development, survival and reproductive potential of the sugarcane borer, Diatrea sachharalis, Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 99: 79-85.
29. Reckel, G.R.K., Kramer, K.J., Baker, J.E., Kanost, M.R., Fabrick, J.A., Behnke, G. A., 1997. Proteinase inhibitors and resistance of transgenic plants to insects, in: N. Carozzi, M. Koziel (Eds.), Advances in Insect Control. The Role of Transgenic Plants. Taylor and Francis, London, pp. 157– 183.
30. Singh, D., Jamal, F., Pandey, P.K. (2014). Kinetic assessment and effect on developmental physiology of a trypsin inhibitor from Eugenia jambolana (Jambul) seeds on Helicoverpa armigera (HÜBNER), Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, 85: 94-113.
31. Srinivasan, R., Uthamasamy, S. (2005). Studies to elucidate antibiosis resistance in selected tomato accessions against fruitworm, Helicoverpa armigera Hubner Resistant Pest Management Newsletter, 14: 24–26.
32. Tammaru, T., Kaitaniemi, P., Ruohomäki, K. (1996). Realized fecundity in Epirrita autumnata (Lepidoptera: Geometridae): relation to body size and consequences to population dynamics. Oikos, 77: 407–416.
33. Vasudev, A., Sohal, S.K. (2013). Bioinsecticidal potential of partially purified proteinase inhibitors from Brassica oleracea (L.) against Spodoptera litura (Fab.) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), Efflatounia,. 13: 1-7.
34. Waldbauer, G.P. (1968). The consumption and utilization of food by insects, Advances in Insect Physiology, 5: 229–288.