IJCRR - 7(18), September, 2015
ALTERED LIPID PARAMETERS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE IN SUBCLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM
Author: Bhavesh Sadariya, Suman Jain, Sonal Sogani
Background: Subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH) is a common thyroid disease affecting large population of the world. Diversit persists regarding the level of lipid parameters in patients with SCH.
Aim and Objectives: Aim of the present study was to estimate the level of lipid parameters in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism of Udaipur population and to see their relationship with TSH values.
Materials and Methods: The present study was conducted on 75 patients of subclinical hypothyroidism and 100 euthyroid. Fasting venous blood was collected from each participant and analyzed for thyroid profile (T3, T4 and TSH) and lipid parameters (total cholesterol-TC, triglyceride-TG and high density lipoprotein - HDL). Low density lipoprotein (LDL) and very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) were calculated by using the Friedewald’s formula.
Results: Mean values of total cholesterol, triglyceride, LDL, VLDL, TC/HDL ratio and LDL/HDL ratio were significantly higher in SCH patients as compared to euthyroid. Mean of Serum HDL was also higher in SCH patients than euthyroid, but was not statistically significant. All lipid parameters were positively correlated with TSH values in SCH patients. Mean values of TC, TG, HDL, LDL and VLDL were higher in female patients as compared to male patients, but were not statistically significant.
Conclusion: Subclinical hypothyroidism is associated with dyslipidemia having raise in all lipid parameters, which may increases the risk of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease development.
Keywords: Hypothyroidism, Cardiovascular disease, Euthyroid, Subclinical, Dyslipidemia
Bhavesh Sadariya, Suman Jain, Sonal Sogani. ALTERED LIPID PARAMETERS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE IN SUBCLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7(18), September, 01-05
1. Heuck CC, Kallner A, Kanagasabapathy AS and Riesen W. Diagnosis and monitoring of the disease of the thyroid. WHO Document (WHO/DIL/00.4) 2000; 8-9.
2. N. Kochupillai. Clinical endocrinology in India. Current Science. vol.79, no.8, 25 Oct 2000.
3. Mcdermott MT and Ridgway EC. Subclinical hypothyroidism is mild thyroid failure and should be treated. The journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 86(10):4585–4590.
4. Tunbridge WMG, Evered DC, Hall R, Appleton D, Brewis M, Clark F, et al. The spectrum of thyroid disease in a community: the Wickham survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1977 Dec; 7(6):481-93.
5. Canaris GJ, Manowitz NR, Mayor G and Ridgway EC. The Colorado Thyroid Disease Prevalence Study. Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160:526-534.
6. Unnikrishnan AG, Kalra S, Sahay RK, Bantwal G and John M. Prevalence of hypothyroidism in adults: An epidemiological study in eight cities of India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jul-Aug; 17(4): 647–652.
7. Pucci E, Chiovato L and Pinchera A. Thyroid and lipid metabolism. INT J OBESITY. 2000; 24:S109–12.
8. Laway BA, War FA, Shah S, Misgar RA and Kotwal SK. Alteration of Lipid Parameters in Patients with Subclinical Hypothyroidism. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2014 July; 12(3): e17496.
9. Pirich C, Mullner M and Sinzinger H. Prevalence and relevance of thyroid dysfunction in 1922 cholesterol screening participants. J Clin Epidemiol. 2000 Jun; 53(6):623-9.
10. Hueston WJ and Pearson WS. Subclinical Hypothyroidism and the Risk of Hypercholesterolemia. ANNALS OF FAMILY MEDICINE VOL. 2, NO. 4, JULY/AUGUST 2004.
11. Hollowell JG, Staehing NW, Flanders WD, Hannon WH, Gunter EW, Spencer CA et al. Serum TSH, T4, and thyroid antibodies in the United States Population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 2002; 87: 489-99.
12. Simonet WS and Ness GC. Transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation of rat hepatic 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase by thyroid hormones. J Biol Chem. 1988; 263: 12448-53.
13. Shin D-J and Osborne TF. Thyroid Hormone Regulation and Cholesterol Metabolism Are Connected through Sterol Regulatory Element-binding Protein-2 (SREBP-2). J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 34114-8.
14. Saffari B, Ong JM and Kern PA. Regulation of adipose tissue lipoprotein lipase gene expression by thyroid hormone in rats. J Lipid Res. 1992; 33: 241-9.
15. Berti JA, Amaral ME, Boschero AC, Nunes VS, Harada LM, Castilho LN, et al. Thyroid hormone increases plasma cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity and plasma high-density lipoprotein removal rate in transgenic mice. Metabolism. 2001; 50: 530-6.
16. Gagnon A, Antunes TT, Ly T, Pongsuwan P, Gavin C, Lochnan HA, et al. Thyroid-stimulating hormone stimulates lipolysis in adipocytes in culture and raises serum free fatty acid levels in vivo. Metabolism. 2010; 59: 547-53.
17. Santi A, Duarte MMMF, de Menezes CC and Loro VL. Association of Lipids with Oxidative Stress Biomarkers in Subclinical Hypothyroidism. Int J Endocrinol. 2012; 2012: 7p.
18. Michalopoulou G, Alevizaki M, Piperingos G, Mitsibounas D, Mantzos E, Adampoulos P, et al. High serum cholesterol levels in persons with ‘high normal’ TSH levels: should one extendthe definition of subclinical hypothyroidism? Eur J Endocrinol 1998; 138:141-145.
19. Hak AE, Pols HAP, Visser TJ, Drexhage HA, Hoffman A and Witteman JCM. Subclinical hypothyroidism is an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction in elderly women: the Rotterdam Study. Annals of Internal Medicine 2000; 132: 270–278.
20. Thompson GR, Soutar AK, Spengel FA, Jadhav A, Gavigan SJP and Myant NB. Defects of receptor mediated low density lipoprotein catabolism in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia and hypothyroidism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981 Apr; 78(4):2591-5.
21. Brenta G, Berg G, Arias P, Zago V, Schnitman M, Muzzio ML et al. Lipoprotein alterations, hepatic lipase activity, and insulin sensitivity in subclinical hypothyroidism: response to L-T(4) treatment. Thyroid. 2007 May; 17(5):453-60.
22. A Regmi, B Shah, BR Rai and A Pandeya. Serum lipid profile in patients with thyroid disorders in central Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J 2010; 12(4): 253-256.
23. Shashi A and Sharma N. Lipid profile abnormalities in hypothyroidism. I.J.S.N., vol. 3(2) 2012: 354-360.
24. Nouh AM, Eshnaf IAM and Basher MA. Prevalence of Thyroid Dysfunction and Its Effect on Serum Lipid Profiles in a Murzok, Libya Population. Thyroid Science 3(10):CLS1-6, 2008.