IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 19, October, 2015
ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY (IN-VITRO) OF CALOTROPIS PROCERA EXTRACT FROM ARID REGIONS OF RAJASTHAN
Author: Sangeeta Loonker, Wasim A. Qadri, Jasmine Singh
Aim: To study in-vitro antioxidant activity of Calotropis procera.
Methodology: The evaluation of antioxidant activity was done using 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) free radical scavenging activity via Double Beam UV-Visible Spectrophotometer.
Result: The IC50 values in leaves, fruits and flowers of Calotropis procera were found to be 16.08, 16.06 and 10.31μg/mL respectively.
Conclusion: The results explore the strong antioxidant activity of Calotropis procera which can be harvested by medical and pharmaceutical industries for curing several diseases.
Keywords: Calotropis procera, Antioxidant activity, DPPH, Diseases
Sangeeta Loonker, Wasim A. Qadri, Jasmine Singh. ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY (IN-VITRO) OF CALOTROPIS PROCERA EXTRACT FROM ARID REGIONS OF RAJASTHAN International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 19, October, 55-59
1. Mainasara MM, Aliero BL, Aliero AA, Yakubu M. Phytochemical and antibacterial properties of root and leaf extracts of Calotropis procera. Nigerian J of Basic and Applied Science 2012; 20(1): 1-6.
2. Ahmed MKK, Rana AC, Dixit VK. Calotropis species (Ascelpediaceae) a comprehensive review. Pharmacog Mag 2005;1 (2):48-52.
3. Yesmin MN, Uddin SN, Mubassara S, Muhammad AA. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Calotropis procera Linn. American-Eurasian J Agric and Environ Sci 2008 4 (5): 550-553
4. Chandrawat P, Sharma RA. GC-MS analysis of fruits of Calotropis procera: A medicinal shrub. Res J Recent Sci 2015; 4: 11-14.
5. Mukherjee B, Bose S, Dutta SK. Phytochemical and pharmacological investigation of fresh flower extract of Calotropis procera Linn. Int J of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2010; 1(2):182-187.
6. Meena AK, Yadav A, Rao MM. Ayurvedic uses and pharmacological activities of Calotropis procera Linn. Asian J of Traditional Medicines 2011; 6(2): 45-53.
7. Ansari SH, Ali M. Norditerpenic ester and pentacyclic triterpenoids from root bark of Calotropis procera (Ait) R.Br. Pharmazie 2001; 56(2):175-177.
8. Begum N, Sharma B, Pandey RS. Evaluation of insecticidal efficacy of Calotropis procera and Annona squamosa ethanol extracts against Musca domestica. J Biofertil Biopestici 2010; 1(1): 1-6.
9. Jain SC, Sharma R, Jain R, Sharma RA. Antimicrobial activity of Calotropis procera.Fitoterapia1996; 67(3): 275-277.
10. Yazna srividya B, Ravishankar K, Priya Bhandhavi P. Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity of Calotropis procera fruit extract, Inter J Res in Pharm and Chem 2013, 3,2231-2781
11. Dorge W. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 2002; 82: 47-95.
12. Thambiraj J, Paulsamy S, R. Sevukaperumal. Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity in the traditional medicinal shrub of western districts of Tamilnadu, India, Acalypha fruticosa Forssk. (Euphorbiaceae).Asian Pacific J of Tropical Biomedicine 2012: S127-S130.
13. Himaja M, Anand R, Ramana MV, Anand M, Karigar A. Phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of rhizome part of Curcuma zedoaria. IJRAP 2010;1(2):414-417.
14. Blios MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 1958; 26:1199-1200.
15. Murali A, Ashok P, Madhaban V. In vitro antioxidant activity and HPTLC studies on the roots and rhizomes of Smilax zeylanica L. (Smilacaceae). Int J Pharm Sci. 2011; 3(1):192–195.