IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 20, October, 2015
A CLINICO-ENDOSCOPIC STUDY OF UPPER GI DISORDERS IN RURAL POPULATION OF PONDICHERRY
Author: B. Arjun, A. Annamalai, R. Balamurugan, Sunil S. Shivekar, M. Kaviraj
Upper gastrointestinal disorders are commonly seen in routine clinical practice. Delay in their diagnosis and treatment may lead to fatal complication like cancer. The endoscopic examination of upper GI is not only important in diagnosing common upper GI disorders, but also helpful in identification of premalignant conditions like Barrets esophagus and malignant lesions. This is a retrospectively study of esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) data of 1030 patients reported with various complains of Upper GI symptoms in Department of Surgery, endoscopy division. A total of 1030 patients were investigated. 144 (14%) patients were showed normal findings where as 886 (86%) cases had abnormal findings. The result of present study showed male predominance associated with the upper GI disorders. Gastritis was commonest disorder diagnosed in 701 (79.1%) cases. The duodenitis, oesophagitis, Hiatus hernia, GERD and round worms in duodenum were reported in 296 (33.4%), 328 (37.0%), 69
(7.78%), 21 (2.37%) and 4 (0.45%) cases respectively. 18(2.03%) of the cases were reported with Adenocarcinoma of stomach. Gastritis is the most common upper GI disorder seen the patient population. Timely diagnosis by upper GI endoscopy with patient education and risk factor management is essential to control upper GI disorders in this community.
Keywords: Endoscopy, Upper GI disorders, Gastritis
B. Arjun, A. Annamalai, R. Balamurugan, Sunil S. Shivekar, M. Kaviraj. A CLINICO-ENDOSCOPIC STUDY OF UPPER GI DISORDERS IN RURAL POPULATION OF PONDICHERRY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 20, October, 37-40
1. E Caglar, B Baysal, and A Dobrucal. The changing pattern of upper gastrointestinal disorders by endoscopy data of the last 40 years. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy 2014; 1-5.
2. Gastrits overview available from: URL:http:/www.gastritis. com/2007, http://pubmed.com
3. C bode, JC bode. Alcohol’s Role in Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders. Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders 1997; 22: 93-96.
4. Ando T1, Nobata K, Watanabe O, Kusugami K, Maeda O, Ishiguro K, Ohmiya N, Niwa Y, Goto H. Abnormalities in the upper gastrointestinal tract in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammopharmacology. 2007: 15(3):101-104.
5. Akash Nabh, Muhammed Sherid, Charles Spurr and Subbaramia Sridhar. Endoscopy of GI Tract. Diagnostic Endoscopy- InTech. 2013; 4: 38-69.
6. HK Aduful, SB Naaeder, R Darko, BN Baako, Clegg-lamptey and KN krumah. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy at the korle teaching hospital. Ghana Medical Journal 2007; 41:1: 12-16.
7. E Jeje, T Olajide, B Akande et al. Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy - Our Findings, Our Experience in Lagoon Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria. Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2013; 15: 6(2): 168-173.
8. B Loffeld and D Liberov. The changing prevalence of upper gastrointestinal endoscopic diagnoses: A single-centre study. The Journal of Medicine 2012; 70: 5: 222-226.
9. H Miwa. Life style in persons with functional gastrointestinal disorders--large-scale internet survey of lifestyle in Japan. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2012; 24(5): 464-471.
10. Olga et al. Gastritis staging. International Journal of Surgical Pathology 2008; 16(2): 150-154.
11. Serra Kayaçetin, Servet Güre?çi. What is gastritis? What is gastropathy? How is it classified? Turk J Gastroenterol 2014; 25: 233-247.
12. P Sharma, KK Kumar, M Mahajan, P Gupta et al. Histopathological Spectrum of various gastroduodenal lesions in North India and prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in these lesions: a prospective study. Int J Res Med Sci 2015; 3(5): 1236-1241.
13. I Bhaskar, TF Biswas, Upper GI Endoscopy at Community Based Hospital -A Prospective Study. SSRG-IJMS 2015; 2(1): 13-15.
14. PO Ayuo, J Kiplagat. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy findings in patients referred with upper gastrointestinal symptoms in eldoret, Kenya: A retrospective review upper gastrointestinal endoscopy findings. East African Medical Journal 2014; 91(8): 267-273.
15. Springer. Lifestyle factors associated with gastritis. International Journal of Clinical Oncology 2003; 8(6): 362-368.
16. S Kumar, HI Pandey, A Verma, P Pratim. Prospective analysis of 500 cases of upper GI endoscopy at Tata Main Hospital. (IOSRJDMS) 2014; 13(1): 21-25.