IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 23, December, 2015
A SOCIOLOGICAL STUDY ON THE ROLE OF GRAM PANCHAYATS IN WOMEN EMPOWERMENT IN KARNATAKA STATE
Author: Kavya C. N., Manjunatha S.
Today, in India the problem of rural poverty is increasing very rapidly. There are a very few ways to eradicate rural poverty in India. Through giving economic opportunities for the village people, particularly to the women in rural regions, has been proved very fruitful to reduce the poverty in rural India. Providing economic support and decision making power to women through these Gram Panchayats bring empowerment, further this strengthens the whole society in general. Hence, the present study is placed in this context to examine the role of Gram Panchayats in empowering women in Karnataka state and also to understand the social, educational, economical and political empowerment of women members of Gram Panchayats in Karnataka state. The primary data has been gathered from the method of field survey in the district of Hassan in Karnataka state. In the present study, based on the analysis and discussion on the empowerment of women through panchayat system and rural development in Karnataka state, major findings of this study have been explained in detail.
Keywords: Women eEmpowerment, Gram panchayat, Rural development
Kavya C. N., Manjunatha S.. A SOCIOLOGICAL STUDY ON THE ROLE OF GRAM PANCHAYATS IN WOMEN EMPOWERMENT IN KARNATAKA STATE International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 23, December, 54-58
1. Doddamani: Empowerment of Women Representatives in Panchayati Raj Institution in Gulbarga District in Karnataka. Journal of Research in Agriculture and Animal Science, Vol.2, Issue 3, 2014, ISSN: 2321-9459.
2. Helen Tierney, women’s studies Encyclopedia, Revised and Expanded Edition, Rawat publications, New Delhi, 2008.
3. Imam Uddin Ansar: Women Participation in Panchayati Raj Institutions: A Case study of Barak Valley. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, Volume–III, Issue-II, October 2014, ISSN: 2278-5264.
4. Jasprit Kaur Soni, Women Empowerment Synchronizing the Gender Power, Author Press, Delhi, 2011.
5. Lakshnikumari M., The Role of Women in Society, Sterling Publishers Private Limited, New Delhi, 1997.
6. Manjunatha S, The Role of Women Self – Help Groups in Rural Development of Karnataka State, India, International Research Journal of Social Sciences, 2013.
7. Murty C.S.V, Indian Society, Himalaya Publishing Hose, Mumbai, 2006.
8. Nakkiran.S, Gender Issues in Cooperatives, Abijeet Publications, Delhi, 2009.
9. Odeyar D. Heggade, Empowering Women in India, Arjun Publishing House, Mysore, 2006.
10. Raj Kumar and Pankaj Sharma: Women Empowerment in Panchayati Raj Institutions – A Case study of Solan and Kandaghat (Himachal Pradesh) India. International Journal on Arts, Management and Humanities, 3(2): 21-24, 2014, ISSN: 2319-5231.
11. Rural Development and Panchayath Raj Department, Manual for Information under right to Information Act – 2005.
12. Savita Bhatt, Empowerment and Social Work Participation, Adhyayan Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2010.
13. Simmi Agnihotri and Vijay Singh: Women Empowerment through Reservation in Panchayati Raj institutions in Himachal Pradesh. Indian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. LX. No.3, July 2014.
14. Suchitra Das: Women Participatation in Panchayati Raj: A Case Study of Karimgnaj District of Assam. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Studies, Volume–I, Issue-I, July 2014, ISSN: 2349-6959.
15. Vikas Nandal: Participation of Women in Panchayti Raj Institutions: A Sociological Study of Haryana, India. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol.2 (12), October 2013, ISSN: 2319-3565.